“Great hotel, poor service”

The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed here quit some time ago, the hotel is in a perfect location, i would say a very good 4 star hotel. We asked for towels on the second night which never came and when mentioned the next morning was dismissed. The bar staff were particularly slow so much so that we had to go up twice to find out where are drinks where.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is a five star hotel in Belfast, situated in the centre of Belfast with easy walking to the shops and bars and restaurants

I am a fairly regualr visitor to this Hotel when in Northern Ireland on Business and the reason I return is that is always the same, the servcie is outstanding, the rooms are beautifully appointed and the beds are so comfy.

I would not stay anywhere else in Belfast and would change my dates if they were full to make sure I got my night at the Fitzwilliam.

The restuarnt has excellent food and is well cooked and prepared. The Staff at this Hotel are first class, helpful and kind and hospitality is oozing from every area.

Upgrade to a suite, the double shower is amazing!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to suite 801
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bigbird1334
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Modern and very comfortable hotel. Extremely comfortable bed and well equipped large room. All the staff (who were mainly Irish) were very friendly and helpful, they even opened an extra room for our party to have drinks as the bar was full. Breakfast was well presented with continental buffet and hot food to order. We would definitely stay at this hotel again and would happily recommend to anyone wanting a comfortable, well equipped hotel in a great location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel with a friend for dinner and cocktails and got nothing but polite service and quality food. I found the bar to be cosy and warm (nothing nicer than a warm bar) and could of quite easily sat on had I not to get up for work the next day. I did notice the bar was busy and could see the strain on staff but trip advisor is a website for reviews on hotel and service therfore I won't hide behind my trip advisor comments and personally attack staff members. Overall I had great drinks and great food in a cosy environment and would/will be back again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jenzi
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We booked the Fitzwilliam as a 30th birthday treat! Hotel is fab, got a superior Room, comfy & modern! Breakfast was excellent, great choice and well presented!
we went on the evening of our stay to the bar and had some cocktails, we were served by Jonathon who was to be honest full of himself, he made great cocktails but when we ordered our second round of drinks, my hubby placed £20 on the counter and he turned to us and said, 'you'll need more than that', we were puzzled. he produced a receipt for 2 cocktails and 2 pints of beer, we had already paid for our first round of drinks and even gave him a tip!!!! the cheek.
I said, 'excuse me, we have already paid for the first drinks', to which he cheekily replied, 'who did you pay it wasn't me?'
only when we reminded him we had given him a tip did he remember and well he was very embarrassed. I was insulted that he was accusing us of not paying, luckily we had our receipt on the bar to prove it. He did apologise and afterwards offered us a complimentary drink but the damage was done and we left after the second drink.
really enjoyed our stay and would come back but not to Jonathon and his cocktails.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VeronicaH457
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

We spent 4 nights at the Fitzwilliam. Located in the heart of where you should be in Belfast, the hotel is warm and inviting. The concierge team was extremely helpful with reservations and recommendations. The housekeeping team was friendly and efficient. But, a special nod has to go to the bar. Jonathan served me on two of my nights there. Sure, he can pour a cold beer or serve a simple vodka and tonic with flair. But, his mastery of the bar scene comes through when he crafts a special drink for you. For me, the two drinks that stand out were his takes on the Manhatten and an old-fashioned. The Manhatten was highlighted by a house-infused bourbon barrel aged on premise for 12 weeks. Phenomenal. And the old-fashioned -- Jonathan's take on this classic is to make a smokey old fashioned. His bar "smoker" infuses hickory chips into your beverage -- with the smoke infusion occurring right before your seat. Masterful.

Again, a great stay at this hotel. And made all the better by a warm staff and the creations delivered by Jonathan at the bar.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill B
Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband booked a night for us in the Fitzwilliam as a belated Valentine's day gift, as we didn't want to go too far from home. We knew we would go straight from work at lunchtime on Friday so my husband rang the hotel to ask what time we could check in. He was told that check in was 2pm but if we arrived earlier and a room was ready, we could check in early at no extra charge. On arrival at the hotel, approximately 12.45pm, we were promptly greeted by the concierge who directed us to reception and offered to take our bag but we only had a small overnight bag so we declined. The staff on reception were very friendly and we were dealt with very quickly. We were placed on the 7th floor, which pleased us greatly as we had a great view of Cavehill. We had obviously looked at pictures of the rooms online and we were not disappointed when we entered the room, it was modern, spacious and very comfortable. The bathroom has a double shower, a large, deep bath and a "taller loo" which to someone who is 5'11" like me is nice! The super kingsize bed was extremely comfortable and the blackout curtains kept every bit of daylight out. I did worry that traffic noise may have kept us awake but neither of were bothered by it at all. We booked the hotel on a room only basis so I can't comment on food. The hotel has a wonderful location, it's close to the shops, several pubs and restaurants in the vicinity, a Tesco and Centra straight across the road and the Grand Opera House right next door. This hotel has all the extra little touches that you would expect in a 5 star but can be expensive for breakfast and parking, we used alternatives. However it is still excellent value for money. We only live 15 miles from the hotel, would we stay here next time we go on a shopping trip to Belfast? In a heartbeat!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple