“SQ Bar/Restaurant”

Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“SQ Bar/Restaurant”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Currently promoting an “Express Lunch” in their SQ bar, so 3 of us went on a Friday just after noon. Bar area was relatively quiet, with no more than half a dozen tables occupied at most.

There seemed to be one girl behind the bar and no floor staff - although numerous staff did circulate around the bar area - not that any of them actually did anything!

After sitting at a table for 15 minutes without as much as an inkling that we would be served anytime soon, we made an exit.

I did mention to a manager on the way out that our presence at the table had not as much been acknowledged. This was met with a snooty, sniffy “I can only apologise.”

Too late - actively managing your staff may be more useful and checking the definition of “express.”

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
JTopping, Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear AHarryS,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience in SQ Bar & Grill. Please accept my apologies if we failed to meet your expectations. It is through feedback such as yours that we can provide a constantly improving customer experience. It appears from your comments that you didn't actually get to experience the fantastic food for which SQ is renowned and I hope you'll give us another opportunity to serve you.

Jonathan Topping

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed here for two nights in early March on a discounted rate. The room was comfortable and clean, the bed was fine, and the staff were friendly. It was exactly as I expected from this type of hotel and I happily recommend it for a short stop in Belfast.

Dear Nathan H,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel. I hope you'll give us another opportunity to serve you and we can welcome you back soon.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed here for just one night - when we arrived they didn't have our reservation - we had booked through bookings.com back in January and received confirmation but the hotel said they never received it from bookings.com. They were however able to accommodate us but they said they didn't have a room until 3pm. The hotel itself is clean, new and modern - our room was basic but large enough and the bed was king size and comfortable - no wardrobe just some hangers on the wall and limited shelves / drawers - If you were staying more than two nights you would struggle to store your clothes. The bathroom was small - very small stainless steel sink and just a walk in shower - although the shower was big there was no screen so the floor got soaking wet and also the shower head was leaking and wasn't a power shower. Bar area was nice. Didn't eat at the hotel at all so can't comment on their food. We ate at the Potted Hen literally round the corner from the hotel and the food was lovely. Overall the hotel was OK for one night - I would describe it as just slightly better than a travelodge type room and for the price (we paid £63 for a double room for the night) it was good value. Location was great as everything is on your doorstep.

Dear mjools,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully when you return you'll sample the delights of SQ Bar & Grill.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 March 2012

the Ramada is a newish hotel in Belfast and located in the upcoming Cathedral Quarter. It is a typical three star modern property, no complaints about anything except no wireless internet access in the rooms and limited access in reception area. Breakfast was good and the rates are very competitive. I was surprised to see that you could have a wedding reception here for £999 for 50 people. That seems excellent value. Nearby there are some very good restaurants and pubs including the traditonal Duke of York bar and Nick's Warehouse.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Taisteal
Dear Taisteal,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope I can welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I've stayed here several times and had a lovely stay (as previous reviews reflect) and am due here again 11-17 April, travelling with a cousin. Unless there have been any serious changes in the kitchen, I can say that I have had the best meals ever in Belfast in this hotel's restaurant, and great value too and am looking forward to repeating the experience. I'm hoping they will repeat the amazing deal we enjoyed last time when we had dinner for 2 and a bottle of the best champagne for only £50. 4 of us took advantage of that offer and it was a memorable meal indeed. Very handy location also for those of us seniors who are intent on exploring this lovely city on foot. On one trip, I met up with an old school friend, and the hotel bar is a very conducive and comfy spot for lone female travellers or old girlfriends to meet up.
By the way, on my last trip, I was lucky enough to have a preview of the new Titanic Belfast experience, and I wrote a favourable review of the place, as somewhere to see not far from this hotel - but TripAdvisor refused to accept my review. How very odd. Sorry Belfast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Denise B,

Thank you for your recent review. I'm really pleased you continue to enjoy staying here in Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre. There are always some great offers in SQ Bar & Grill so I'm sure you'll enjoy your meal again!

Look forward to seeing you in April.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This hotel was great. The room was nice, clean, and comfortable. It's a great location; only about a 10 minute walk to the central city. The only thing I didn't like was the £10 fee to use the internet for 24 hours.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Dear Rymigo17,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your time with us and I hope I can welcome you back to the Encore soon.

West Sussex Coast
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on arrival in Northern Ireland to sightsee Belfast, then again for 1 night before flying home. The Encore is very central so do expect it to be busy and a little noisy. We were lucky as this is still out of season and we had a good discount with vouchers from a national newspaper. Can't comment on breakfast but did eat there one evening on their deal of a main course for the price of what time you order eg.- 6.07pm = £6.07. and it was beer battered hadock/chips/pureed peas and tartar sauce, yummy.(£6.00 instead of £10.00) Rooms are spacious, clean and have all you need. We would go there again.

Dear Yoxen,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and hopefully next time you'll have an opportunity to sample our breakfast!

Look forward to seeing you again soon,