“Worst value, poor service, poor facilities, poor experience”

Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights.
The hotel gave us 2 twin rooms when we had booked a double room & a twin room (no mention until we found out). I raised it immediately at reception - they acknowledged this but made no apology. Eventually we were offered a double room with disabled access 2 floors below our family (none of us have disabilities). I had to decline - no apology. The rooms were always too hot, the light fittings beside the bed were both loose & on 2 out of 3 nights we were woken in the early hours (0330 & 0400) by extremely rowdy & persistent revellers & the loud knocking of room service. One pillow per bed and the description of wood flooring is a stretch - waxy laminate looking more like linoleum. TV picture on the channels available was extremely poor - filled with sparklies and far below SD - unwatchable. Facilities in room are minimal. Internet not working in both rooms. Parking is a nightmare at weekend and is tightly policed by regular traffic warden patrols. Any overnight arrangements terminate at 0800 and the warden was on the job from that time. I saw him as I placed another parking ticket on my windscreen and saw him issuing tickets rapidly to others who had parked close to the hotel overnight. It would have been helpful to have had this advice from reception - when asked about parking I got a 'shrug' and told - 'try the car park opposite, if you can find a spot'. Luckily another car park user warned me in advance and I avoided the early morining ticket. There is a muti storey car park round the corner in the Cathedral Square - which may be more convenient.
For the price, there are many better hotels etc. in Belfast including some with keener prices offering better facilities. The buffet breakfast was poor in range & quality by NI standards. The toaster had the usual reminder 'not to adjust' the settings but burnt the crusts while leaving most of the bread untouched by heat except to dry the bread out. Soda bread and potato bread were mostly over-cooked and then hard as bricks under the heating lamps. Luckily the plates were very small (to encourage people to take less? - but this wasn't really necessary (lol). Continental alternatives were few in range. The fruit salad was good but somebody must have been watching the news about the birth of the baby gorilla in Belfast Zoo (or had a part-time job as a keeper) as the size of the chunks would have challenged the mother and father of the little one.
Location in the Cathedral Quarter is good - with a few good restaurants and pubs nearby. The Potted Hen is worth a visit.
I communicated our experience to another member of reception staff when we left. Apart from what appeared a half-hearted and belated apology, staff seemed more concerned to establish they had followed their 'script' than with the service the hotel actually offers/provides and the experience of their guests.

Having read through several reviews now, I wish I had paid more attention to the negative expetiences outlined as we have experienced similar. I would honestly never stay in this Hotel again nor could I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Stephen D
RE_Manager_13, Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to apologise for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. The team here at our hotel take pride in their work and feedback is always welcomed as we continually look to improve our service for our guests. The problems you have highlighted will be raised with our team here and please be assured that we take all feedback concerning our guests comfort very seriously

Please can you contact me direct at the hotel so we can discuss your stay in more detail?

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed here recently for one night. We travelled to Belfast to visit the Titanic Museum. Our first impression of the hotel was good it looked nice from the outside but unfortunately there is no hotel parking but we did getting parking across the road but this was a Saturday night/ sunday parking so if you were staying during the week it would cost you a lot on parking. The hotel room was nice and modern and clean if a little smaller than any other room I have stayed in. Didn't get much sleep because there was a party going on downstairs. I was on the first floor but my sister was staying on the 3rd floor and could still hear the music. Had dinner in the hotel and the food was lovely. Its in a good location 5 min walk to shops etc. Overall I probably would stay in the hotel again but would like some sleep next time!!!

Room Tip: Ask for room away from function room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at The Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, I am pleased to hear it was an enjoyable one apart from a couple of issues that I hope we did all we could to sort out for you. We are in a great location and the SQ bar and grill offers a great selection of locally sourced food.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

my husband and i stayed here sat night rooms were clean but very hot,we went to local restaurant for dinner and returned to hotel to have a drink at the bar,i ordered 3 different cocktails and was told each time i couldn't have it as bar had ran out of spirits ,i settled for a glass of wine instead ,we had only just sat down in the bar when i fight broke out and my wine was knocked to the floor,this was followed by a lot of commotion and then the police arrived,at this point we made our way upstairs to our room,only to be greeted with a very loud party going on down the hallway from our room,as the night went on the noise got worse another fight broke out in another room we both got no sleep at all we left early on the sunday morning completely exhausted .on leaving we did mention this to reception but they didn't seen to bothered .very disappointed

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anneCoDown

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Rude staff, overpriced food and blaring music and loud xmas parties made staying and relaxing in hotel impossible. Informed desk staff of this and the attidude i received was "like it or lump it"
Will not be back.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank darrylspc
RE_Manager_13, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback after your visit in Dec 2012.

During the Christmas Festive season we do cater for some Christmas parties, Saint Anne's Square and the Cathedral Quarter are popular locations for after work drinks.

We do keep the bar open for all guests during these times and we are mindful that not everyone will want to join in the festive atmosphere. I would like to ensure you that your feedback will be discussed with the hotel management as we strive to continually improve our service and hospitality for all guests.

Kind Regards

Sales and Marketing Manager
Ramada Encore Belfast

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed overnight in Belfast for a concert and the hotel was perfect for our needs. It's a 10-15 minute walk from the train station, and even closer to the High Street and Victoria Street shopping centre. It's also close enough to the Titanic quarter. Staff were very efficient and friendly, and the room was well presented and clean. The room, itself, is basic enough so there's no safe in the room, no mini-bar or a bath (just shower). When we got back from our night out, the bar/restaurant was busy with people - an atmosphere that many hotels we've stayed in previously lack. I will say that the walls of the room seemed rather thin, thin enough that you can hear, quite clearly, when someone is talking in the hallway outside your room, or in the next room. Just something to consider if you're going to be spending a lot of time in your room. But, otherwise, it's perfect as a base for people who are out and about in the city!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at The Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, I am pleased to hear it was an enjoyable one. We are in a great location especially if you want to visit the likes of Titanic Belfast or just pop into town for a bit of shopping.

Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location for walking into the city centre with plenty of bars, restaurants and shops nearby. The staff were helpful and friendly. The room was clean, the beds comfortable. It would have been nice to have air conditioning but you can't have everything! The bar area is comfortable with drink deals in the early evening. The breakfast was excellent with lots of choice. A good price for a city centre hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013

Michelle,

Reviewed 24 August 2013

My wife and I went for breakfast at an agreed time to meet two other friends. At the entrance to the restaurant I asked for a table for four and gave my room number. The waitress advised that I couldn't have breakfast as this was not part of the deal. I spent the next 20 minutes at reception trying to explain to two very unfriendly duty managers that I had paid for breakfast. Eventually they had to concede after I had shown my confirmation slip that I could now go and have breakfast. When I arrived my friends had finished and my wife was mortified as she had to sit their until permission arrived from on high

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family