“Fine until you want to get into your room! Shambolic.”

Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 8 December 2009

I was at the hotel on business. Got into the room OK with the key card on arrival, then left the room to go down to reception to ask for directions for the next day. So far so good, then when I returned to the room the key card wouldn't let me in. I returned downstairs, where the receptionist told me that it was my own fault for having a mobile phone, which must have deactivated the card. She gave me a replacement. That didn't work either. My room was on the second floor, at the end of a long corridor. I went downstairs AGAIN and asked for yet another replacement and for a member of staff to come upstairs with me. The excuse was "sorry, we're always having trouble with these cards".

If the key cards don't work properly, why is the hotel using them?

Next morning I went for breakfast and on returning to my room discovered - quelle surprise! - that the card wouldn't let me in. I went down to reception (this was becoming a familiar pattern), was yet again told by the same surly receptionist that it was my own fault for having a mobile phone which had in fact been nowhere near the key card, and given a replacement. Back up to the room and....you guessed it..... the card wouldn't let me in.

I was really annoyed by this time; I had a meeting to go to and all the messing about was making me late. I told the receptionist that I wanted to make a formal complaint; she said, "I'll give you an e-mail address". I told her that I wanted to speak to the hotel manager, but ended up with one of the duty managers who told me "sorry, we've had no end of trouble with the key cards etc etc".

I demanded that one of the staff come up with me to let me in using a pass key, to which they grudgingly agreed after leaving me waiting at reception at their convenience.

Quite honestly, the service was rubbish. I'd never stay here again and I'll be advising the travel bookers used by my organisation never to book anybody else into this hotel. Why would anybody stay at any hotel that can't even give you a reliable means of getting into your room? I had to go back to reception FIVE TIMES! It's fundamental.

The rooms were nice, but the incompetence of the staff ruined the hotel for me. That and that fact that when I went for breakfast there was no orange juice left and nobody to ask for more!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
JTopping, General Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2009

Dear Finance23

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I appreciate the time taken to provide constructive feedback on your visit to Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre.

I'm disappointed that your stay did not live up to your and our own high expectations. The keycard system that we use is the market leader, however no system is fullproof and occasionally our system can be affected by low batteries, dust or magnetic interference.

This does not excuse the attitude and service of our staff and for this I sincerely apologise. I have spoken with our Front of House Manager and she has assured me that her staff will be retrained regarding interaction with our guests to ensure that this situation does not happen again.

If you could contact me directly I would appreciate following up your comments with me directly.

Once again I apologise for the inconvenience experienced during you stay and thank you for your constructive feedback.

Jonathan Topping

Write a ReviewReviews (1,753)

Reviewed 3 December 2009

Stayed here for 1 night in October to attend a gig in the Odyssey. Room was spacious and clean and tidy. While the computer at check-in time was temporarily down, that was our only hitch, we found the staff extremely and genuinely friendly, informative and helpful and nothing was any problem to them, I was hugely impressed with their manner and decency. Getting a late drink wasn't a hassle either as we sat drinking beers till very late, although one idiot punter robbed a bottle of champagne and was spotted by pretty much everyone and collared!

But I'd certainly recommend this hotel for lots of reasons and would stay there when we return to Belfast.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
JTopping, General Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2009

Dear 1966DUB

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay in Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre. We are justifiably proud of the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff and I'm pleased that your stay reflected this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre soon.

Reviewed 3 December 2009

Good Location and nice ambience.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
JTopping, General Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2009

Dear VipulDalal,

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2009

Bit of a mix up when we arrived.....15 lads on a stag dooo, quickly sorted by the excellent reception staff who then gave us vouchers off for drinks and breakfast, which turned out to be very useful.

Rooms are well decorated excellent bathrooms, nothing more that i can say really.

Great hotel, really helpful and friendly staff and tip the barman/maid they are stars.

Belfast is a great city absolutely loved me long weekend there cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2009
JTopping, General Manager at Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2009

Dear Kimberdragon,

Thank you for your feedback on your trip to Belfast. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay in Ramada Encore and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 22 October 2009

Clean and fresh new hotel in the transforming Cathedral area of Belfast. Location good, and whilst there are some run down streets on the doorstep these can be avoided and there's good restaurants and bars close by.

On the whole a good stay, would think carefully whether I would revisit.

First the positives:
- Reception friendly, almost all staff through the hotel friendly
- Rooms well designed, feel more spacious than they are, good shower and comfy bed.

And the negatives:
- Rooms have no air con, odd for a new hotel overlooking a dual carriageway, windows open a few inches only
- Nearby nightclub very loud till about 3.30am, every night. You have a choice - close window and sweat, open and don't sleep. Hotel has sun on all day so rooms hot.

Niggles:
- No transparency of pricing - fluid room prices, no bar price list, no indication of breakfast cost etc...
- Breakfast fair. Holiday Inn express type continental, backed up by cooked if you order. Good range - but ingredients are at the cheaper end - think "value brand" rather than "finest". Would put you off evening meal.

Sounds more negatives that positive - but if you are going to Belfast and intend to party - this will be a great bolt hole just a bit away from the main nightlife. If going to work, visit sights - make sure you get a back /side room and come in winter.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ManxQueenies

Dear ManxQueenies,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your stay in Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre. I appreciate the time it takes to supply constructive feedback on your stay.

I'm disappointed that you felt the quality of breakfast did not meet your expectations during your visit. We take pride in the quality of the food served in our restaurant - we source only the best local produce and our chefs liase closely with our suppliers to ensure the quality matches our expectations.

Our room tarif pricing is indeed fluid and we are keen to negotiate the best value rate for each and every guest who stay with us. Our bar prices are available in the menus on each table and are comparative to the public bars in the Cathedral Quarter.

Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre is located in the heart of the fast developing Cathedral Quarter - the centre of culture, arts and nightlife in Belfast and the area is a vibrant and exciting place to be.

I thank you once again for your comments and I hope I can welcome you back to Ramada Encore Belfast City Centre in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 October 2009

Stayed at the ramada encore for one night last weekend. The hotel is very clean, the staff are lovely and the decor is very modern and bright. The parking next door is free and the room rate was great. The bedroom is very basic but functional and clean. Loved the wet room style shower...loads of room. Very close to everything in Belfast and we stayed in an odd numbered room and heard no noise all night.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2009

we spent a weekend in belfast and stayed at the encore .great location for the city center and lovely hotel .new and clean with very helpfull staff ,our rooms were bright and very clean .the shower was addictive and easy to use .good bar and breakfast .great!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends