“Hotel Recommended Correctly!”
Review of The Square Cafe & Restaurant - CLOSED

The Square Cafe & Restaurant
Price range: US$4 - US$70
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Golden Mile
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel had recommended this restaurant as we wanted something local but as we had celebrating to do, somewhere memorable. The Square is situated about 5-6 blocks from the hotel however a local cab driver took us around. We were greeted by a young waiter, he was very pleasant and took us up to our table. We ordered a starter and main course each, yet to order dessert. The food was perfectly sized and most delicious. To start I had prawns in garlic butter, having originally been cautious about the price I was very happy I had chosen them, they were large prawns and a good size portion they were perfection, definitely a personal favorite. For main course I had Monk-fish it was a nice meaty portion usually I would stay away from fish for fear of bones, however the fish was prepared, cooked and seasoned perfectly yet again another favourite. We decided to have dessert after having such a pleasant evening, I had chosen the Creme Brulee a signature dish apparently, and yet again not disappointed. This restaurant is perfectly suited for a delicious evening meal. The atmosphere was exactly want we had wanted and will definitely be returning to this gem.

A very enjoyable evening.

2  Thank Jeffery H

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We would have preferred a starter and main but somewhere buried in the Groupon small print was a main and dessert. No problem other than having to wait a little longer and the food, pork and fish mains and mixed veg and potatoes, was extremely well prepared and presented. The hake portion was not overly generous given the regular price of around £15 and had I paid full price I would have been very disappointed. Desserts were again high quality but would likely have come short of more youthful appetite expectations! Service was pleasant and attentive. Value for money can be debated.

3  Thank AbuDhabiGeorges
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Purchased a voucher for this restaurant from Groupon, which allowed us two courses and a glass of wine each. On entering the restaurant, we were made to feel second class for using the Groupon deal. The waiter had a bad attitude and was not attentive, we had to ask for our order to be taken. Food arrived and was very average for the price. In Belfast, there are so many better places to eat than here.

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I've been in The Square restaurant few times and never been disappointed! Usually going for the same ... duck salad to start, fillet steak for main, finished off with the best in Belfast creme brûlée! I had my first fillet steak here which taste I can still remember and since then the quality hasn't changed a bit! I really can't understand why this restaurant isn't in top 10! Love this place for lunch and for dinner! Staff always make me feel welcome building great atmosphere no matter what occasion it is! Highly recommend! Well done guys!

1  Thank victoriaph
Reviewed 16 May 2014

went with a voucher and treated like a yellow pack customer. Really I had ot ask again for my wine order, remind of hte request for ice, then ask can we order our meal the over 45 minutes later when no meal arrived I asked for it to be delivered and the waiter came over telling me how I had to understand how it worked.. as I had not ordered a starter it would take longer, that they used stone oven which took longer and any excuse he could get out past his grining face!! He was patronising and unapologetic and there were several people savouring my response as they too were in the indefinate 'holding pattern'. Not good enough I do not believe that the customer is always right but I do believe that the custome has rights and mine would have been stamped on if I had not been as assertive as I was. I was treating my friend and it was no treat as far as service went... the food, when it eventually arrived, in fairness was not at all bad, but will I be back... no way!!
I could have asked to speak to the owner but Im told that he would not have been available.............

2  Thank Monica F