“Ibis Hotel Queens Belfast”

Ibis Belfast Queens Quarter
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Manchester
“Ibis Hotel Queens Belfast”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Good value hotel. Friendly staff. Nothing flash but does the job. Hairdryers, tea & coffee making facilities, TV. Like Nick P - should have checked the shower gel situation before stepping under the shower. Needed a night stop when travelling with my daughter to the university open day (which is a stone's throw away)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
ibisbqq, General Manager at Ibis Belfast Queens Quarter, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards,
Vikrant Tyagi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Finnish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I stayed here for one night and found it fulfilled my basic needs very well (comfortable bed, clean room, friendly staff, decent bar, quiet room without road noise). Pricewise, it was excellent (£55 B&B incl. Wifi) and compared to my nearest comparison (Premier Inn Aberdeen) was roughly half the price. This is all quite acceptable for a city centre hotel and it was also near a number of decent restaurants and bars on Botanic Ave.

However, I travelled light as I was to be in Belfast for less than 24 hours... hand luggage only and I didn't faff around with clear plastic bags for toileteries. I assumed that there would be shower gel in the hotel room.... I only found out the dispenser was empty when I was already in the shower. The front desk said that it would just have been a case of me ringing down for some more... but I was already in the shower at that point. The soap dispenser next to the sink was also empty, I found out at the same time! I suppose I found the lack of attention to this detail frustrating given how little there was in these basic rooms for a house-keeper to check.

Finally the cooked breakfast was dismal. Almost literally without taste at all, which is quite an achievement. However, I think it is fair to say that on balance this hotel represents excellent value for the room alone in the location it is in (which is within 1 minutes walk of one of my key Belfast customers). Next time I will check the room for shower gel when I check-in and have the continental breakfast option!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Nick P
Thank you for your feedback. As a customer focused hotel, we take your comments very seriously and I am saddened to hear that your stay with us was not fully enjoyable. We have rectified the problem with door lock in room 305.I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we taken necessary steps to avoid such disappointments happening again. Hope you will give us opportunity to serve you in future.

Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

No frills but nice tidy clean and functional hotel in nice part of town. Very friendly staff and good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DavidWilliamSlack
So glad you had an enjoyable time at Ibis City Centre, Belfast! We very much appreciate the feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I generally like Ibis hotels (and other hotels in the Accor group). The Belfast Queens Quarter one is particularly good. The staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are fine for a budget hotel. The bathroom is in a "pod" at one side of the main room - I have seen this at some other Ibis hotels.

There was plenty of choice at breakfast. I usually had fresh fruit, cooked English breakfast (sometimes a bit the worse for wear after standing out in the buffet for some time) and excellent baguettes. The coffee (from a machine) was good. There were also cereals, yoghourts, cold meats and lots of other things.

The hotel is close to Queens University which is well worth seeing. Just across the road is Botanic Avenue with lots of restaurants, including many frequented by students. It is quite a long walk into the centre of Belfast, but if you have a car the hotel is convenient as there is free parking on the road outside. When I was there, there were roadworks which prevented parking but the hotel had an arrangement with another hotel nearby and I was able to park free in their car park.

All in all I would say this is a very good budget hotel option.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and was given one on the top (6th) floor at the end of the corridor. There...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank David W
Thanks so much for your comments we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team here will be delighted to receive your review, your feedback is important to us in our endeavours to continue to deliver the highest level of service to our guests. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Regards
birmingham
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel ( the first time at an IBIS)

I arrived very early and my room wasn't ready which is understandable. The staff did their best to get my room ready, which was done in about an hour.
This was excellent as it was still only 0930 and the check in time was 1400 hours.

The room itself was fine for a budget hotel. TV was a bout small but then again this wasn't the Burj in Dubai.

The following morning I got up early to have breakfast. Being a veggie their wasn't much choice in the HOT food section apart from scrambled egg and beans... Oh and toast.

The eggs looked as if they'd been their all week (now was Thursday!) and they tasted likewise. Whatever this was, it certainly didn't taste like scrambled egg!!
The sauce in the beans was fine but the beans again must have been the cheapest they could find.

In the end I settle with a cup of coffee and Muesli, which for 6.95 was a joke!

overall.. I don't think i'll ever stay at an IBIS again... Pay the bit extra and stay at the Holiday Inn!

Room Tip: Travellers Tip... Stay here but don't have the food!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank marvaluss
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at Ibis City Centre, Belfast. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the matter, but feel free to contact me on 02890333366 or email me on h7288-gm@accor.com to discuss this further.

southampton
Reviewed 20 June 2012

A colleague and I were booked in here for 2 nights to attend a conference at Queens University, and we added on 2 nights in order to have a weekend in Belfast before it started.
Check in was very easy and straight forward- very helpful receptionist. We had swipe cards as security in order to access the lifts or stairs to the bedrooms. The bedroom was a good size with twin beds, and good amenties - flat screen TV, plenty of plug sockets for charging items, hairdryer, and tea and coffee making facilities. The bed was firm and the pillow a bit lumpy. Managed to sleep pretty well despite this.
The bathroom was interesting - not a proper room - more of a plastic pod in the corner of the room. However it was perfectly functional, the shower had double doors, had good power and always plenty of hot water. We had fun with the towels. Initially were given 2 standard towels, and so we went down to reception to ask for 2 hand towels and were given them. After our room was cleaned the following day the hand towels had disappeared. We went down to enquire again and were told that only a standard towel is only supplied now. This is somewhat of a pain as hand towels are generally used for drying hair and the standard towel isn't really big enough to do both.
Breakfast was buffet style with a fair selection of hot and cold food. The juice isn't fresh but the tea was good.
It was approx a 15 min walk into Belfast city centre from the hotel, and a 10 min walk to the University - which was a great position for our needs. I would be happy to stay at this hotel again - even more so if they provide 2 towels and improve the pillows!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank clare b
, General Manager at Ibis Belfast Queens Quarter, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Ibis Queens Quarter, Belfast very soon.

Kind regards
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2012

If you want to be guaranteed a room then book somewhere else! Despite booking and paying for a room 3 weeks in advance, when I arrived the room wasn't available. This wasn't actually explained to me - I made the presumption based on the fact that the duty Manager was called and he then started phoning other hotels!
No explanation was ever provided and the assumption seemed to be that as they had located me a room in another hotel there wasn't a problem. If I had wanted to stay in the alternate hotel I would have booked it in the first place - I didn't, but was left with no choice.
Such a pity but I would never take a chance again and couldn't possibly recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
We are disappointed and sorry to hear that the start to your break to Belfast did not go according to plan. We will be carrying out a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding your arrival.Contact me at any time on 02890333366 or email me at h7288-gm@accor.com if you’d like to discuss things further.

With kind regards