“Budget hotel but basic”

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Budget hotel but basic”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stayed two nights in July 2012 with my son. This is advertised as a budget hotel so I guess one should not expect more than budget quality. The hotel is one building on the block in the photograph - this is NOT the whole hotel as one might imagine. At the time of visiting access was difficult because of road works on University Street and parking in the surrounding roads is difficult during the week, though OK at the weekend. The room was basic and functional but not comfortable - apart from the beds there was only an one office type chair to sit on. The room had a pod bathroom that was OK but not very clean and the squeezy soap had run out, which I only realised at about 11pm. The breakfast at £7 per day per person was not good value - limited choice and the cooked food was over-cooked and tepid. There's a Starbucks down the road that is probably better value. One night there was a very loud party being very loud at around 2am and the hotel seem not too concerned about this antisocial behaviour. That said the staff were generally friendly and helpful. The situation of the hotel is good, in the Queens University district, which is generally quieter than the city centre but is well served with restaurants, shops and other amenities. So in all this is a functional hotel that is OK for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
ibisbqq, General Manager at Ibis Belfast Queens Quarter, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Queens Quarter, Belfast.

Kind regards
Vikrant Tyagi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Finnish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Very clean, modernized rooms. Excellent services.
Convenient location, close to Queens university and central train station.
I had a very pleasant stay and I would recommend it to any friend who is staying in Belfast for a short time whether business or leisure.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Ibis Queens Quarter, Belfast. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.
Kind regards
Killucan, Westmeath, Ireland
Reviewed 10 July 2012

stayed for 1 night with my family & booked 3 rooms. Staff on arrival no very helpful they could only find 2 of our rooms and was left waiting for till they found the other booking. When i made a conversation with lady staff member is didn't answer me and just said ehh! on booking it said there was a car park however when we reached the hotel in the rain there was no car park. no pull out bed in room for children and room didn't lock from the inside so my 2 year old could open the door no problem. night staff member's were very nice and friendly & tried to fix it but couldn't and put in a bed for my child. Surrounding area run down with lots of kids hanging around

Room Tip: don't stay in room 305 door dose not lock from inside
1 Thank Caroline J
Manchester
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Good value hotel. Friendly staff. Nothing flash but does the job. Hairdryers, tea & coffee making facilities, TV. Like Nick P - should have checked the shower gel situation before stepping under the shower. Needed a night stop when travelling with my daughter to the university open day (which is a stone's throw away)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards,
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I stayed here for one night and found it fulfilled my basic needs very well (comfortable bed, clean room, friendly staff, decent bar, quiet room without road noise). Pricewise, it was excellent (£55 B&B incl. Wifi) and compared to my nearest comparison (Premier Inn Aberdeen) was roughly half the price. This is all quite acceptable for a city centre hotel and it was also near a number of decent restaurants and bars on Botanic Ave.

However, I travelled light as I was to be in Belfast for less than 24 hours... hand luggage only and I didn't faff around with clear plastic bags for toileteries. I assumed that there would be shower gel in the hotel room.... I only found out the dispenser was empty when I was already in the shower. The front desk said that it would just have been a case of me ringing down for some more... but I was already in the shower at that point. The soap dispenser next to the sink was also empty, I found out at the same time! I suppose I found the lack of attention to this detail frustrating given how little there was in these basic rooms for a house-keeper to check.

Finally the cooked breakfast was dismal. Almost literally without taste at all, which is quite an achievement. However, I think it is fair to say that on balance this hotel represents excellent value for the room alone in the location it is in (which is within 1 minutes walk of one of my key Belfast customers). Next time I will check the room for shower gel when I check-in and have the continental breakfast option!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Nick P
Thank you for your feedback. As a customer focused hotel, we take your comments very seriously and I am saddened to hear that your stay with us was not fully enjoyable. We have rectified the problem with door lock in room 305.I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we taken necessary steps to avoid such disappointments happening again. Hope you will give us opportunity to serve you in future.

Kind regards,
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

No frills but nice tidy clean and functional hotel in nice part of town. Very friendly staff and good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DavidWilliamSlack
So glad you had an enjoyable time at Ibis City Centre, Belfast! We very much appreciate the feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I generally like Ibis hotels (and other hotels in the Accor group). The Belfast Queens Quarter one is particularly good. The staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are fine for a budget hotel. The bathroom is in a "pod" at one side of the main room - I have seen this at some other Ibis hotels.

There was plenty of choice at breakfast. I usually had fresh fruit, cooked English breakfast (sometimes a bit the worse for wear after standing out in the buffet for some time) and excellent baguettes. The coffee (from a machine) was good. There were also cereals, yoghourts, cold meats and lots of other things.

The hotel is close to Queens University which is well worth seeing. Just across the road is Botanic Avenue with lots of restaurants, including many frequented by students. It is quite a long walk into the centre of Belfast, but if you have a car the hotel is convenient as there is free parking on the road outside. When I was there, there were roadworks which prevented parking but the hotel had an arrangement with another hotel nearby and I was able to park free in their car park.

All in all I would say this is a very good budget hotel option.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and was given one on the top (6th) floor at the end of the corridor. There...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank David W
Thanks so much for your comments we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team here will be delighted to receive your review, your feedback is important to us in our endeavours to continue to deliver the highest level of service to our guests. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Regards