“Fantastic, lively and entertaining.”
Review of The John Hewitt

The John Hewitt
Ranked #163 of 1,130 Restaurants in Belfast
Price range: US$8 - US$14
Cuisines: Asian, European, Irish, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Award winning John Hewitt Bar & Restaurant is a traditional pub in the heart of Belfast’s lively Cathedral Quarter. Lunches are served between 12pm and 3pm Monday - Saturday. Live music is played in the bar six nights per week. The bar is completely free from TV’s and gaming machines.
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

While visiting Belfast we happened upon the John Hewitt and glad we did. That night we drank and laughed with friendly locals and watched a superb live music act. Had a great night and thank you.

1  Thank lilly1976

Reviewed 14 October 2013

On a long Heineken Cup weekend in Belfast, you have to sample the beer, the culture and the local food. The John Hewitt provides a range of real ales, a varied menu of locally sourced wholesome food at inexpensive prices and a sense of Irish culture, emanating from the person after whom the John Hewitt is named. It is a must visit pub and eatery in Belfast and the fact that the profits, as I understand, go to help finance the resource centre for unemployed people next door makes it all the more essential to make a regular pilgrimage to this shrine.

1  Thank Bruce K
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I love the John Hewitt.

The staff are excellent and really down to earth.

The selection of drinks is exceptional especially given the size of the bar.

There's not many places in Belfast that don't have a TV which is great because a TV more often than not ruins the atmosphere.

I have never saw a fight in all the years I have been going.

Wish I could go more often!!

1  Thank RyanBelfast
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Had a work lunch here for the first time and it certainly won't be my last. This place is a gem. Serving excellent hearty meals, the plates of "gastro" food were amazing and let me say, there was no skimping on the portions!!! Along with the excellent service, food and their choice of beers and ales, this place is fantastic. Well worth a visit and believe me, when you do, you will return as most certainly intend to do.

1  Thank HAMILL30
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We decided to stop off here to get a drink and a bite to eat. We were not disappointed. The staff are friendly and the lady recommended a cider on draught to me which I have never tried before and it was lovely. My husband said his pint of Guinness was very good and he would be the first to moan if it wasn't!
They have a great selection of locally brewed beer and cider if that sort of thing floats your boat.
I ordered the salmon and my husband had the sausages and mash. The food was great - nothing fancy - just good wholesome food which was just what we wanted.

1  Thank chocpud33