“Interesting decor, good place to meet”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Harlem Cafe

Harlem Cafe
Ranked #4 of 85 Coffee & Tea in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe, European, British, Soups
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ystalyfera, United Kingdom
“Interesting decor, good place to meet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We called for breakfast today. The place was extremely busy at 11.15 which is always a good sign. My husband and I got served tea in what looked like an antique silver teapot. He had a bacon sandwich (pricey at £4 and full breakfast looked better in size and value). I had two pieces of wheaten toast, (£2) which looked like a small portion but the bread was thick and filling and very tasty. The decor was very interesting and I would have enjoyed looking around at all the pictures and artwork. Worth a visit.

• Visited August 2014

“Good breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Called in with friends for breakfast before shopping. Glad we did. The guy serving us was so funny and sorted us out with everything. Breakfast was fries. But really good. Clean and not greasy. The place looks great and is just a minute or so behind city hall. :)

“5 Star Afternoon Tea!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

My Mum and I had Afternoon Tea here last weekend as a birthday treat for her. We weren't disappointed! As always- staff are friendly, welcoming and happy to help. There's such a buzz in this place, it never disappoints. Afternoon Tea was amazing! Quirky, different and delicious! We had Afternoon Tea last year in the Merchant and although it was lovely, we prefer somewhere that has more of a relaxed feel to it. The spread they provided at Harlem was really impressive- fresh sandwiches, scones, mini bites of their best cakes and traybakes, croissants filled with melted cheese and peppers. We were stuffed! It really is amazing value. Table was set out beautifully, I just love the odd pieces of china, adds to the character. If you want to treat your mum/a friend to somewhere special for Afternoon Tea, and you love a fun, social atmosphere along with some top notch grub- then this is your place. Also-prosecco was yum!

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Probably the best coffee in Belfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Knowing how much I love good coffee, a friend suggested I try The Harlem Cafe, right next to The Ulster Hall in Belfast. So, today my wife and I took up the challenge. As we walked through the door we were immediately struck by the fantastic buzz of cafe culture emanating from a large mix of locals and tourists. This was enhanced by a wonderful eclectic mix of furnishings and wall coverings which created a real funky and bohemian feel. So good so far!

We were only after a coffee so we took stools at the front near the door where the barista is kept on his toes pandering to an enthusiastic crowd who appeared to be delighting in what they were drinking. My wife ordered a Cafe Latte and I got an Americano. The coffees arrived quickly and wow! Excellent coffee indeed. Upon viewing the pastries, we couldn't resist and had one each. Yummy!

It wasn't long before, John, the busiest barista I have ever seen, was engaging us in conversation as he worked away, and the 'craic was 90', as they say round here.

By now it was getting near lunch time and we could see that there appeared to be a constant queue a the door. We thought maybe the food must be as good as the coffee, so when the chance arose, we grabbed a table for lunch. There was plenty of choice on the menu along with a board of lovely specials so choosing proved rather difficult. Despite the restaurant being absolutely packed, our server, Rachel could not have been more attentive. The food came quickly and it was excellent. The wine list was excellent too and we had no problem making a selection to match our dishes.

We were in no rush and took our time. Likewise, the staff made us feel so friendly that we felt we were welcome to stay all day to finish our wine if we liked.

What a great time we had, and in such a lovely environment too. When we finally got up to leave we did so very reluctantly. It's a long time since I have been so impressed as to seek out the Manager to thank them and congratulate them on such excellent service but I was so glad I did, as Gosha, the Manager was so gracious and said how much she looked forward to seeing us again soon.

As for the coffee, is it the best in Belfast? Probably!

• Visited August 2014
Belfast
“Dining amongst the junk”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

If you ever wanted to eat in a charity shop then go to cafe Harlem smelt of school dinners and surfaces were not clean. Tea served in a broken teapot. We were escorted through a packed restaurant to a seat at the back and our drinks order was take immediately. We had coffees and tea and like many reviews below were nearly empty and cold by the time out food finally arrived over 20 minutes later. Naturally when food did arrive I like a drink with my food but actually had to get up and walk to counter to get anyone's attention to order more drinks for which took almost another 10 minutes to arrive. We ordered the all day fry and I'm shocked at how many people are fooled into thinking this is good food! Almost £7 for a plate of food which is effectively fried bread with 2 small pieces of meat - a sausage and a piece of bacon. The quality of the meat is poor as well. I for one don't expect to order a fry for breakfast to eat a plate full of bread. Service was non existent from the moment we walked in to the moment we again had to walk up and pay to leave with barely a grunt or a thank you from the girl at register.

My advice is to avoid this place if you value good food and good service - you will get neither here!

2 Thank Michelleroux