“Somewhat Annoyed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morning Star

Morning Star
Ranked #15 of 88 Nightlife in Belfast
More attraction details
Owner description: This pub attracts a wide variety of people and features great music and drinks. This traditional old Irish bar dates back to the early 18th century and has claims to be the city's oldest bar still in existence. There is a lovely traditional mahogany horse shoe shaped bar in the downstairs bar, with a raised seating area, where you can spend many hours having 'the craic' in one of the old booths. Upstairs is a more relaxed affair with traditional old booths and top notch service. The Morning Star is a Belfast favourite, where you'll have some top whiskies, gins, craft beers, cocktails and wines served by Belfast finest bar staff. We also have a great pub menu and have won numerous food awards, we are always looking at using new exciting new ingredients and also run a monthly Beef Club and a Craft Beer & Cheese Night. The Pub always has some sort of live sport on, usually horse racing with a mixture of rugby, golf, boxing or motorsports.
Belfast, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Somewhat Annoyed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

Visited restaurant last night Sat 3/11/12 with the Adviser & 3 other couples who had wanted to experience the bar & upstairs restaurant having heard us wax lyrical about our many previous visits.
Our booking was made middle of September for 8 people.
I phoned the restaurantb Saturday lunchtime just to make sure of our reservation for a table of 8 & a girl confirmed that it was in the book.
We all met up in the bar & had a drink before we headed upstairs. This is were the annoyance started. We were shown to an area with a table for 6 & a table for 2 accross the aisle. When I said to the waitress that this was not satisfactory as the booking was for a table of 8 she calmly stated that they didn't have tables that sat 8. I pointed out that at no time, on booking & on phoning at lunchtime did anyone say that they didn't have such tables. I pointed out to her that there was a table in an area of the bar that would seat 20 if needed she quickly added that they would be using that for others. IT WASN'T USED. Her attitude was not particularly customer friendly.
I stood my ground over the situation and a few minutes later another waitress came to our rescue & organised a booth which seated 6 at a squeeze & she put a table for 2 alongside so were able to all sit together.
A wide range of starters were ordered & were excellent except the Risotto Balls. Give those a miss.
Mains of steaks of various types all round & the verdicts were excellent.
Service was not wonderful having had to ask for menus some 15 minutes having been seated & drinks service a bit slow.
If they are going to take bookings of larger groups they need to get their act together

Visited November 2012
5 Thank alan-robinson12

Thefairyqueen1
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“trying to improve”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

I have been going to the morning star for more years then I care to remember . the upstairs toilets (restaurant) have been refurbished,but come on seamus get the finger out, the public bar toilets are disgusting. recently had a steak, sorry, did I say Steak? it was nothing only grissel. horrible. We ordered chips with our mains, no charge, my friend ordered garlic potatoes ( tiny diced potatoes, smaller than chips) and was charged extra. asked why we were charged for garlic potatoes and not chips was told there is a recession and seamus has to make money somewhere. also now charges for pepper sauce. the fancy table clothes do not make up for the drop in food standards.Knives stuck through burgers are sooooo stupid looking. it is obvious seamus is putting profit above customer satisfaction.I have spoken to many ex regulars who agree with me. its all very well fleecing the tourists but you NEED your regulars. come on Seamus even the buffet??? in the bar is served on side plate but still at the same price!!

Visited October 2012
5 Thank Thefairyqueen1
Letterkenny, Ireland
296 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 967 helpful votes
“Traditional Bar with Great Food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

This bar can be found down Pottingers Entry in central Belfast, connecting High Street and Ann Street. Initially I was very wary of going down the entry because of security reasons but there was absolutely no reason to be so. The Morning Star is an old Victorian Bar in excellent condition. We had a meal and a couple of drinks and had no complaints. It is a very relaxed and comfortable establishment and I loved their windows which slide open when the weather necessitates. Staff were very friendly and the food was excellent without being too pricey. We find Belfast very welcoming and inviting and love their bars and restaurants with the Morning Star being one of our favorites.

Visited August 2012
Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very very poor!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

I visited the upstairs restaurant with my wife on Thursday night. I ordered pork belly for starters and my wife had the fresh vegetable soup. The belly was just a lump of tasteless fat on a bed of salad and the soup not only tasted awful but looked awful as well. The soup was obviously far from being freshly made and although the menu gave the option of crusty or wheaten bread It came with a slice of crusty bread without being asked which option would be prefered. For a main course i had the ulster beef which was lean and tasted lovely although i did not get any of the seasonal vegetables with my meal. My wife ordered the special rib-eye steak at £16 and it was anything but special. In fact it was the worst steak she has ever tried to eat and she had to spit out every mouthful because it was just gristle and fat. Her chunky chips were not at all chunky and came to the grand total of SIX. The waitress routinely asked if all was well and when we said no she looked shocked and said really and walked away. What is the point of asking if you don't know how to respond to a dissatisfied customer? Further training needs to be given to your waiting staff as well as the kitchen staff .My wife asked the bar staff to call the manager who although never apologised refunded the price of the steak and rightly so. The meal was that bad we will never be back.

Visited August 2012
7 Thank Philip4950
Belfast
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Really decent food upstairs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Have been to the Morning Star many times over many years. I was out at a colleagues leaving party on 20/07 and we all had a full meal. The food was excellent, the service was excellent and I recommend to all

Visited July 2012