“a joy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morning Star

Morning Star
Ranked #15 of 88 Nightlife in Belfast
More attraction details
Owner description: This pub attracts a wide variety of people and features great music and drinks. This traditional old Irish bar dates back to the early 18th century and has claims to be the city's oldest bar still in existence. There is a lovely traditional mahogany horse shoe shaped bar in the downstairs bar, with a raised seating area, where you can spend many hours having 'the craic' in one of the old booths. Upstairs is a more relaxed affair with traditional old booths and top notch service. The Morning Star is a Belfast favourite, where you'll have some top whiskies, gins, craft beers, cocktails and wines served by Belfast finest bar staff. We also have a great pub menu and have won numerous food awards, we are always looking at using new exciting new ingredients and also run a monthly Beef Club and a Craft Beer & Cheese Night. The Pub always has some sort of live sport on, usually horse racing with a mixture of rugby, golf, boxing or motorsports.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“a joy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

I am a regular diner in The Morning Star and am more than pleased every time.Very good food and Seamus is absolute gentle man always tries his very best ,would and do recommend this to all .

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Mactools

England
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Great stopping point on a tour of Belfast pubs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

One of the “Historic Hostelries” according to the about Belfast guide and its décor certainly evokes its heritage. It’s tucked down one of the alleys (called “entries” in Belfast) off Castle Place. Very busy and on a Saturday afternoon obviously the choice of the local punters studying form in the paper, glued to the racing and football. We managed to find a couple of seats in what I called the broom cupboard, a tiny little snug at the end of the bar! Another great stopping point if you want to soak up some of the atmosphere in a traditional Belfast pub.

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

I had told my friends what a great place this was so we turned up today to have a meal. We booked a table & when we turned up there seemed to be a large group in front of us that arrived after us and got served before us!! they weere on their desserts before our main courses had arrived & that was after one of our party asked what had happened! We had turned up intending to buy a main course, dessert & after dinner drinks but when it took over 100 minutes to produce some very poor burgers and average steaks, we decided to go elsewhere for the rest of our meal! We asked what had happened to delay our order & were told that the larger group took priority so we had to wait until they all turned up - seemed to take for ever - BEFORE they would serve us! When I complained, the waitress walked away & so have I - last time I'll there! we went to MchUgh's for the rest of the meal, what a difference in attitude!

Visited January 2013
6 Thank R0b_L
Belfast, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Somewhat Annoyed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

Visited restaurant last night Sat 3/11/12 with the Adviser & 3 other couples who had wanted to experience the bar & upstairs restaurant having heard us wax lyrical about our many previous visits.
Our booking was made middle of September for 8 people.
I phoned the restaurantb Saturday lunchtime just to make sure of our reservation for a table of 8 & a girl confirmed that it was in the book.
We all met up in the bar & had a drink before we headed upstairs. This is were the annoyance started. We were shown to an area with a table for 6 & a table for 2 accross the aisle. When I said to the waitress that this was not satisfactory as the booking was for a table of 8 she calmly stated that they didn't have tables that sat 8. I pointed out that at no time, on booking & on phoning at lunchtime did anyone say that they didn't have such tables. I pointed out to her that there was a table in an area of the bar that would seat 20 if needed she quickly added that they would be using that for others. IT WASN'T USED. Her attitude was not particularly customer friendly.
I stood my ground over the situation and a few minutes later another waitress came to our rescue & organised a booth which seated 6 at a squeeze & she put a table for 2 alongside so were able to all sit together.
A wide range of starters were ordered & were excellent except the Risotto Balls. Give those a miss.
Mains of steaks of various types all round & the verdicts were excellent.
Service was not wonderful having had to ask for menus some 15 minutes having been seated & drinks service a bit slow.
If they are going to take bookings of larger groups they need to get their act together

Visited November 2012
5 Thank alan-robinson12
Thefairyqueen1
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“trying to improve”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

I have been going to the morning star for more years then I care to remember . the upstairs toilets (restaurant) have been refurbished,but come on seamus get the finger out, the public bar toilets are disgusting. recently had a steak, sorry, did I say Steak? it was nothing only grissel. horrible. We ordered chips with our mains, no charge, my friend ordered garlic potatoes ( tiny diced potatoes, smaller than chips) and was charged extra. asked why we were charged for garlic potatoes and not chips was told there is a recession and seamus has to make money somewhere. also now charges for pepper sauce. the fancy table clothes do not make up for the drop in food standards.Knives stuck through burgers are sooooo stupid looking. it is obvious seamus is putting profit above customer satisfaction.I have spoken to many ex regulars who agree with me. its all very well fleecing the tourists but you NEED your regulars. come on Seamus even the buffet??? in the bar is served on side plate but still at the same price!!

Visited October 2012