“Extremely noisy - impossible to sleep”
Review of Jurys Inn Belfast

Jurys Inn Belfast
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Staying two nights on business. Avoid this if you want to sleep. First room allocated to me on a corner had busy roads on both sides AND an extremely noisy old internal fan in the bathroom constantly on. Asked for a quieter room. Got given one at the back over a courtyard which is packed with extractor fans that are on continuously from down below (bar? Kitchen?). Hell - impossible to sleep, like being in the engine room of a large boat. Coupled with that could hear neighbour in the next room sloshing around in their bath.......Shabby, with poor finishes even with the 'refurbishment'. - Radiator in room constantly on because the on/off knob had fallen off. Only plus point two bottles of water in the room.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
SMCM2, Deputy General Manager at Jurys Inn Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us in Belfast.

I was very disappointed to hear that you sleep was disturbed so badly by several different issues during your stay. We try as often as possible to make sure that all noise is kept to a minimum at all times to ensure the comfort of all our guests. This includes a weekly check on all windows and window seals for health and safety and noise related issues. Unfortunately it seems that the noise may have been coming from one of our extractor fans from the kitchen. I have arranged for this to be looked into as soon as possible to see if we can get the level of noise and humming reduced to avoid any further issues going forward.
It is also up to us to ensure that our rooms and public areas are not looking dated and we are currently undertaking a painting programme to freshen up each room, as well as reviewing the product itself for potential improvements that can be made. There is no excuse for something as simple as a radiator control to be missing. It shows a lack of attention to detail on our part, and I apologise that we missed it while preparing the room for your visit.

I would really appreciate if you could contact me on the e-mail address below at your earliest convenience so as we may discuss in more detail.

Kind Regards
Stephen McMullan
Deputy General Manager

stephen_mcmullan@jurysinns.com

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at Jurys Inn, We visit Belfast every year to watch the Nottingham Panthers and last year we stayed at Park Inn because it was slightly cheaper, save money on hotel to get more money for beer :) but unfortunately we got extra charges after leaving to pay for cleaners on the day we checked out even tho the rooms were left tidy, never got this money refunded so we decided to stay at Jurys for a 2nd time and we will deffo be staying there again next year. Can't fault it, nice clean hotel with clean rooms

2  Thank Ramsay9
Reviewed 6 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Anne F
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Jury's for one night in March. Hadn't stayed at a Jury's hotel in years, a name for me that is synonymous with quality. The hotel was clean and beds comfortable but I was disappointed at how 'no frills' this chain seems to have gotten. The room itself was so dull and something like a glorified hostel room. There wasn't a picture on the wall or even a bath mat. There wasn't toilet paper on the roll either when we checked in - an obvious sign the room hadn't been serviced fully. I'm disappointed that the chain has gone down this route. Aren't there lots of other hotels occupying this space in the market? I thought Jury's occupied a comfortable spot in between the Premier Inn and a 4+/5 star. I would say my experience of the hotel was definitely in the former. At ���70pppn I think I'll stay at a nice BNB on Malone Rd or similar in future where you'll get character and care.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank pixie_ie
SMCM2, Deputy General Manager at Jurys Inn Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Jurys Inn Belfast. I am extremely disappointed to hear your experiences especially given your previous positive experiences of our brand over the years.

First of all I would like to sincerely apologise for the standard of your room on your arrival to the hotel. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness and comfort and of all our rooms and we aim to always offer excellent value for money to all our guests.
I would like to assure you that I will be speaking directly to my Accommodation Manager to reiterate the high standards expected each and every day in our rooms, and I will make sure that the relevant training is carried out with the team to avoid such a poor lack of standards in the future. The fact that there were basic amenities missing from the room was a clear lack of attention to detail and this is something that we will work to improve immediately to avoid further disappointment in the future.

I would very much like to have the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please see below my contact details If you would like to discuss this please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

In the meantime your constructive comments have been very worthwhile and will help to ensure that service standards are restored.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Kind Regards

Stephen McMullan
Deputy General Manager

stephen_mcmullan@jurysinns.com

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I wasnt particularly expecting luxury and this hotel is quite alright for a short break.
The location is great,rooms are reasonably clean and the staff are friendly.
However the the bathroom was weary ...many chipped tiles and an indifferent shower.
There isnt any working airconditioning and this is where the problem was. When the room becomes too warm...it is impossible to open the window because of the unbelievable amount of noise. Even with it shut the noise pierces through the double glazing and can be a nightmare in the night.
I was prepared however with good quality earplugs! i never travel anywhere without them.
So it was fine for me.
So in short ...serviceable but make sure you carry earplugs!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank docppm
Reviewed 19 March 2014

just back from a 4 night stay...great location ..lovely clean hotel room was a great size we looked out into main road so great views ..staff were nice and friendly...we had breakfast every morning and there was plenty to choose from hot food and cold buffet ...nice and fresh every morning..we also had dinner 1 evening and it was lovely 3 coarse for £21 ..only thing that was a bit negative was why only a double bed most hotels have king size now

Room Tip: corner suite 3rd floor large light and great views
1  Thank loopi06
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights last weekend.

The hotel is very central, and cost us just £8 in a taxi from the airport. (City airport)

The reception area and entrance are a nice welcome, after seeing the outside of the building it was a nice surprise. The reason we chose this hotel was it's location and previous reviews, the hotel could not be any more central, and close to the City Hall which means if your out in Belfast you can be pointed in the direction of City Hall and easily find the hotel from here.

Reception staff friendly and efficient, we arrived at 12pm and on our booking confirmation it stated check in was from 2pm however this wasn't a problem and we checked in straight away. We asked for directions to a particular place, and the receptionist did not know, however he went to ask a colleague for us and promptly told us the way.

Upon arrival to the room (through the secure lift system) I was pleasantly surprised that the room was so large - the bedroom appeared as though it had recently had a refurbishment, if not then it was quite modern - ok it is basic, but being a hotel manager and previous hotel auditor myself, I have seen much worse. The cleanliness was superb and I could not find much dust on anything! (well done housekeeping team!!) The view from the window was overlooked by all other rooms and what looked like an office block, also the bins were in that area and didn't appreciate the bar emptying glass bottles late in the evening/first thing in the morning, as was quite noisy.

The let down of the room however is the bathroom - it appears the bedrooms have been brought up to date but the bathrooms resembled something of my grannies bathroom. Outdated, and the shower was abysmal. I think the flush of the toilet used more water than the shower let out in 10 minutes of being switched on, the temperatures gage hard to find a comfortable temperature and the drip of water coming out was barely enough to bathe in. This meant running a bath rather than taking a shower as at least there was enough water to wash in - which of course meant more time getting ready and less exploring the city - not great if your in a rush.

Cannot comment on the restaurant, as did not use it, nor did we have breakfast in the hotel. However each evening the restaurant did seem quite empty. The bar we did use, and is a great little place for pre-drinks before your evening out, the bar staff friendly and chatty (especially when we were watching the football on the Sunday!)

There did seem to be (in the evenings especially) some security around, outside the bar and often there was more than one which can make you feel a bit uneasy as I have not seen 'bouncers' in a hotel before, especially ones sitting right outside the door. They did seem more 'bouncers' then security. I understand that hotels have their own safety and security, but never as 'in your face' as the ones here.

Check-out was quick and easy, plus point we were aloud to leave our bags, free of charge, as our flight was not until the evening and as it was the St Patricks parade we didn't want to be carrying them around all day with us.

Overall satisfied with the hotel, just the let down of the bathroom - reasonably priced and central location.

Points of interest to visit -
Crumlin Road Gaol - Prison Tour
St Georges Market (5 mins walk from hotel) - perfect nik naks, and excellent breakfast burritos!
City Tours - Bus tour giving you sights you probably wouldn't see if you didn't take this, including the history, and historic sights to do with the bad times many years ago and murials that paint a picture of what is was like back then
Victoria Shopping Centre - lots of shops (open late) and restaurants
there is more but I've gone on enough haha!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front as the ones in the back overlook the bins and all other rooms, I imagine...