“I think I was there on a bad day”
Review of Linen Hall Library

Linen Hall Library
Ranked #38 of 225 things to do in Belfast
More attraction details
Owner description: This library, founded in 1788, is the oldest library in Belfast and contains the largest collection of material on Irish studies in Northern Ireland.
Dublin, Ireland
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“I think I was there on a bad day”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I always call into the Library when I am in Belfast. i called in yesterday and the experience was not good.
First things first I would advise visitors to Belfast to spend a little time in this amazing place and I dont want my comments to reflect badly on the Library. However I had 2 poor experiences and hopefully I just got the Library on a bad day.
Firstly I had the worst cup of coffee I have ever had in Belfast. It was weak and insipid and served by a member of staff who appeared disinterested. I managed one mouthful and left the rest. The Cafe space itself is a little osasis of calm and i like it there, normally to sit for 10 minutes, drink my coffee before facing the hustle and bustle outside. A big no no this time.
I was also on a mission this time and wanted to look at some old postcards from the early 1900's. A member of staff in the Linenhall charity shop told me to go into the Library and the staff there would help me. He was very helpful unlike the next member of staff I spoke to on the main desk. I felt ignored and when she did speak to me it was to redirect me to another member of staff who appear engrossed in his computer. Bluntly he gave me wrong information. I left feeling frustrated.
Despite my expereince I would still encourage people to visit this great place and spend a little money when you get there. Hopefully my experience was only an "off day" and not representative of what normally happens there.

Visited January 2014

Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delightful!”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Steeped in history! Got a lovely welcome from the staff and they were only too willing to answer any questions I had.
I absolutely adored the artwork and the staircase, it made me feel like I had stepped back in time. I can not recommend visiting here enough.

Visited November 2013
Scotland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A Delightful Place”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was one of the places I wanted to visit in Belfast. It was such a delightful place. Right from the moment you go through the door you instantly feel the history and grandeur of the place. The staircase is beautiful. The staff were very warm and welcoming. I started off with the nice cafe as I hadn't had breakfast yet. They serve beautiful wheaten bread which I had toast with butter and jam. Delicious. I would love to have this as my local library!

I wanted to see the C S Lewis exhibition and was not disappointed. It was lovely to see some of his correspondence. The paintings are excellent and you can buy a print of some of them. I was fortunate enough to be there at the same time as the painter. I bought a print and he signed it for me.

If you're in Belfast then a visit to the Linen Hall Library is a must.

Visited December 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Lovely place to visit”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

The Linen Hall Library was peaceful and very inviting when we visited. There was a very good display of artwork on the stairs and lots of interesting things to look at. We were free to wander around the library. Staff were available but they left you alone - although they looked approachable if you needed to ask them anything.

Visited October 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Haven of History”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

A nice place to retreat into for peaceful relaxation, while exploring the city centre in Belfast. Quite unlike any other place to have a cup of tea and learn about the various background views on recent historical matters!!

Visited July 2013