“Like being with family”
Review of Hilton Belfast

Hilton Belfast
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We had a rental car when we pulled into the Belfast Hilton. As soon as we entered the Lobby, Cieran (pronounced Keiran) and John met us with smiles. What impressed me the most was the smiles weren't fake ones put on for the new guests.
They quickly learned we were Aussie tourists with no real knowledge of Belfast.
These 2 fellows and the rest of the staff went out of their way to ensure we could experience the best of Belfast in a weather that was bitterly cold, dark and raining. Nothing was too hard for Cieran (the manager) and John (concierge).
But then the incident happened that causes me to now write this review.
I went down to garage area to get something from the car.... and I found that the back windscreen had been smashed. As soon as I informed Cieran, he put the "wheels in motion" to ensure my partner and I were OK. He made phonecalls, he contacted the police, he made the garage attendent (a separately owned company) go over and over the CCTV footage. Meanwhile, John was ringing repair companies, rental car places and anyone else he thought could help us. I should cut this review short as there is not enough time or room on this page to tell you everything that these 2 gentlemen and the staff at the Hilton did for us. Even though we were past our checkout time, the next day Cieran allowed us to stay at the hotel and looked after us until a new car arrived from Dublin.
My partner and I stayed in many Hotels while we toured Ireland but one thing is for certain. If we ever return, then the Belfast Hilton will be my "home away from home".

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonBelfast, Front Office Manager at Hilton Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am delighted that you experienced a warm welcome to the hotel and that John and Ciaran exceeded your expectations. We operate a Colleague Recognition Programme within Hilton Belfast and I have passed John and Ciaran's names to our Human Resources Department on your behalf.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Warmest Regards,

damian.gilvary@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,996)

Reviewed 23 April 2011

Hilton Belfast is a good modern business hotel. It's probably not the place to stay for a vacation but for business it's functional and everything works. The restaurant looks uninspiring and I could have done without the staff asking the chef if it was too late to take another guest at just 9.30pm but the food was GREAT and indeed so was the service - after they stopped worrying about the time! I had some wondeful smoked salmon and capers with Irish soda bread followed by chicken breast and vegetables - very healthy and fresh. My room service breakfast was gear too. My room was a standard Hilton exec room. Great bed and fabulous pillows. The only let down was a dreadful view over the goods yard and car park of a neighbouring concert centre. It's for this reason I would suggest that this is a business hotel and not a romantic vacation spot!

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you for your review. I have communicated your great feedback with our team who appreciate your comments regarding the friendly and helpful staff at the Hilton Belfast. As a business traveller it may be beneficial to sign up to our Hhonors loyalty program which allows us to allocate your Hilton Guest room according to your preferences, i.e. high floor with river view, as well as a complimentary stay using points accrued. Let me know if you would like to be enrolled, damian.gilvary@hilton.com - we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2011

This hotel does not meet 5* standards.

Although the rooms were clean and there was nothing exactly wrong with the experience we would have expected more from a hotel with a 5* rating. Having booked with lastminute.com and secret hotel package, we wandered if were therefore not given the same level of service... We would not have been impressed at all if we had of paid full price.

There were no little extras in the room at all apart from shampoo, conditioner and shower gerl and 1 bar of soap. No shower cap, no body lotion, no tissues, no bath slippers or nice bath and not even a biscuit! . There was however a couple of tea bags and a bottle of water with an expensive price tag...

We were most annoyed to have cleaners knock on our door and the let themselves in at 9.30 the next morning waking us up! Most inconsiderate, since breakfast was not over until 11.

Breakfast was ok - but self service.

Postives - Nice big comfortable bed, big tv, clean, good quality curtains that didnt let the light in in the morning.

Staff were pleasant but nothing to write home about - all in all, it was a nice experience but not a special enough experience to get 5*,,,

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am disappointed to read that you experienced a few issues during your stay, please accept my sincere apologies for this and for any inconvenience caused to you as a result. I have discussed each point you have highlighted with our Management team to address and resolve appropriately with their teams. I hope that you would consider staying with us again and I would like the opportunity to improve upon your experience in the hotel. Please contact my directly on damian.gilvary@hilton.com
Look forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2011

This hotel gets a thumbs up on all fronts. Situated between the lagan river and the waterfront hall on the edge of the city centre, it's within walking distance of pretty much everyhting you need for your weekend. Rooms were large and clean, lobby and lounge area were attractive and well staffed. The place was spotless, and they should sell that "new car smell" air freshener that they use in the hallways. St. Georges market round the corner is a must do when open. The only thing missing from the hotel was a swimming pool and maybe a lack of convenient, cheap parking. Also, light sleepers may be advised to get a room not facing onto the train tracks, however, i am nit-picking here. Fantastic stay overall.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am delighted that you experienced a warm welcome to the hotel and you enjoyed our newly refurbished bedrooms. Also thanks for the idea of the "New Car Smell" I will look into this and see if we can provide this to our guests :) (I will send a sample in the post)

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 20 April 2011

Wow, what a great experience! Five star service, location, facilities, and staff all for a reasonable price.

Check in was lovely and fast. They recognized my Diamond status and had provided me with an upgrade to the executive floor. The paperwork was ready and it took less than a minute to complete the check in. The staff was polite, professional and efficient.

Once in the room we noted that the executive lounge on the floor above us was under construction for four days. (we appreciated the fact that the hotel was going to complete everything in a few days rather than taking months like other Hiltons we have visited) Unfortunately, the following morning the noise above us could be heard in our room so we talked to Damian (the manager) about it. He offered to move us to another floor while we were out touring that day. The room he moved us too was perfect! What is most notable is his response to the issue. He quickly apologized, acknowledged the problem and found a solution. He is the definition of five star service!

The view from the room was sweet! Overlooking the river we could see the sculling boats in the morning and view the entire town throughout the day. (see pictures)

We visited the executive lounge (temporary as it was) one evening and had drinks and visited with some business colleagues. The atmosphere was casual and comfortable. We ate twice in the Bar on the first floor and enjoyed it. The food was good, service great with lots of casual seating and the price was reasonable.
The concierge was very helpful in arranging cabs, tours and giving us dining recommendations.

The location of this Hotel is PERFECT! Walking distance to downtown, easy to catch taxis and just a walk over the foot bridge to the train station. Even coming in from the ferry port was a 10 min Taxi ride. (6 pounds)

The only downside to the stay was the internet. It is only wired and it is slower than dial up. Again Damian was helpful and explained the contract is under negotiation at Hilton Corporate (Someone there signed a 10 year deal with a single company for all of the UK) and that the service should be improved soon.

Room Tip: Overlooking the river, corner room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted that you experienced a warm welcome to the hotel and a marked improvement was noted after the noise diturbance during your stay. I am pleased to read that this and I hope showed that we act on all our guests feedback to ensure we meet all our guests expectations. I was personally touched by your response, our Guests Overall Experience is my personal focus and I personally will go out of my way to ensure any guest inconvenience is turned around before they leave the hotel.

I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you both back very soon, you have my details therefore feel free to contact myself directly.

Best Wishes and many thanks again for your excellent review.

Reviewed 18 April 2011

close to everything, city airport, train station, good eating/coffee shop area, shopping. the Cathedral area.
If travelling on business the Executive lounge is great.

Room Tip: all N/E facing corner rooms have a great view
Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments regarding Hilton Belfast and Executive Lounge on the 11th floor. The excellent views from our Executive Suites have fantastic views over Belfast Lough which our guests frequently request and comment on. It was a pleasure to welcome you and we hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2011

On short sightseeing trip so ideal location for same. Room clean and comfortable but lot of train noise tho on other hand had good river view. Staff were friendly and helpful. Tho some sour faces in morning in restaurant.Breakfast was hearty or healthy if you wanted.Prices reasonable.

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you for your fantastic feedback.

Our team are proud to read of your excellent stay at Hilton Belfast. We hope that you will visit us again soon. We appreciate your constructive comments regarding the staff during the Hilton Breakfast. Please feel assured that we have taken this on board to improve upon our service in Sonoma Restaurant.

Kindest Regards,