“I was really expecting a lot more?”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Belfast

Hilton Belfast
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Northern Ireland
“I was really expecting a lot more?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

As a treat my partner surprised me with a one night city break in Belfast and I was very excited at the prospect that we were going to be staying at the Hilton Hotel in a “King Hilton Executive Room”

I was aware about the Hilton name and for whatever reason I was expecting a chic and luxurious hotel. I left disappointed however feeling it certainly wasn’t anything special and feel the Hilton Group could certainly learn a lot from the much younger and better value Premier Inn group.

The executive room we had cost £204 (without breakfast) for a Saturday night in August. The Premier Inn for the same night was offering room only for £71. I must say I cannot work out why it was worth paying so much more to stay in the Hilton?

Yes, on the plus side our 12th floor room was nice and offered great panoramic views over Belfast City Centre and the Divis mountains beyond, and the room had lots of extras but why on earth would I want a phone beside the toilet? I don’t want a mini bar either when the costs have been over inflated. The executive room also offers “a free daily newspaper” Ok then, so why didn’t we get one?

Drinks in the bar were expensive; I am not surprised it was empty! We bought one drink each and when we seen the bill decided; let’s have one more somewhere else!

There is a gym in the basement, not my thing when I’m on holiday and there is no swimming pool or even a spa but we knew this before booking.

To sum up the room was a nice standard hotel room, nothing special but with great views, for value for money though and facilities there are better hotels in Northern Ireland for the prices they charge here.

Room Tip: There are 12 floors so the higher the floor the better the view. Choose whether you would like a vie...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
DamianGilvary, Front Office Manager at Hilton Belfast, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am disappointed to read your feedback.
Please accept my sincere apologies for this and for any inconvenience caused to you as a result. I have discussed each point you have highlighted with our Management team to address and resolve appropriately with their teams. I hope that you will consider staying with us again and I welcome the opportunity to improve upon your experience in the hotel. Please feel free to contact myself directly, damian.gilvary@hilton.com

Kindest Regards,

Damian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

This hotel is well located, 5 minutes walk from the main shopping area of Belfast City Centre. It is beside the Waterfront Hall and minutes from the Odyssey Arena and the new Titanic visitors centre. The hotel itself is very comfortable. I have stayed there several times in standard and executive rooms. The standard rooms are very clean and have all the facilities you would expect. The executive rooms I have stayed in have all had panoramic views over the River Lagan, with floor to ceiling windows. The bar food in reasonably priced and very tasty. Food in the restaurant is very well presented and you may be lucky to get a 2 or 3 course fixed price offer. Breakfast is expensive if you pay for it separately but it is buffet "all you can eat" style. All in all, this is a welcoming hotel that I would recommend for a visit to Belfast

Room Tip: Executive rooms have some fantastic views
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
DamianGilvary, Front Office Manager at Hilton Belfast, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your excellent comments. I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Belfast very soon.

Limerick, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I have stayed in the Hilton Belfast twice. The hotel really let me down on my recent stay the end of July this year. It was my sister's birthday & we decided to plan a trip to Belfast & of course stay in what we also thought was the best hotel around! I had booked a triple room online at a hotel website called 'olotels'. When we arrived to our room, we had a large double bed for two people along with two of everything (towels, cups, glasses, tea bags). I went to reception to report it & explained that we had booked a triple room online & showed her my confirmation email. She told me that they did not cater for triple rooms because of health & safety issues & said they would provide a camp bed.(which was not in the bedroom when we arrived) I explained to her that we paid €190.00 each 3 nights, bed & breakfast & that a camp bed was not acceptable for the third person cost, she actually agreed this price was high but the camp bed which she had slept on herself before is very comfortable! She then explained that the online website should have specify that there would be a camp bed for the third person. I enquired about getting a single room for my sister for her cost and she said they were fully booked. We then returned to our room that evening & had to ring reception to ask for the camp bed to be brought up, the mainteance staff arrived up & noticed our tv had a snowy picture & would send someone up to look at it, never sent anyone up. Our room was serviced for just two people throughout our stay. My sister had to go down the hall and ask for more towels & tea bags from the accomodation team. The camp bed was not for a grown adult and should not cost €190.00 to sleep on a child's camp bed. I have also wrote a review to Olotels as I am disappointed really in all of this. I understand that the online website we booked on made the mistake of not telling us a camp bed would be provided for the third person but even after complaining to reception our room still was cater for two! Hopefully, this was just a unlucky stay but I am not too eager to return any time soon & defintely not with three people!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Orla M
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am disappointed to read that you experienced a few issues during your stay regarding the triple room. Please accept my sincere apologies for this and for any inconvenience caused to you as a result. I have discussed each point you have highlighted with our Reservations Manager who will relay this with the 3rd Party Reservation Website you booked with.
All rooms at Hilton Belfast are sold as a double occupancy room and third person bookings are on a request basis and our roll away beds are recommended for children, 14 years and under.

Thank you for taking the time to upload your feedback and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

northern ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

My husband and I went here for a little break last weekend and we had lovely time. All the staff provided a high level of customer service. Christine on reception was friendly and helpful when she checked us in and we had a great dinner in the restaurant where again the staff struck a perfect balance between friendliness and professionalism.
We were in an executive room so made use of the executive lounge. It was very busy, but despite this, Alex, the girl working here was really on the ball. She paid close attention to what everyone was drinking and was very efficient, still managing to to be really friendly despite the fact she was run off her feet.
There was a huge selection for breakfast and the food was all really enjoyable.
Our room had a lovely view and was generally in good order, could have been a little cleaner, there was an old rice cracker under the dressing table!
Overall good hotel and great staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Willaston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Stayed one night on Honors points, wished we had booked longer and we will definitely visit again. Given a corner suite which was clean and very comfortable. Exec lounge fairly small but had attentive staff & did the job. Special mention for concierge John who was very friendly and efficient, helped us with tour and other things to make our short stay as enjoyable & full as possible.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed at the Hilton for 4 nights, we were upgraded and the views from our room were superb.
All the staff - reception, bar and restaurant were extremely helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was good plenty of choice, loved the muffins. My only complaint would be with housekeeping, the area under the desk in our room was never cleaned and was extremely dusty. This would not stop us from recommending this hotel. We really enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Great location to explore the city. Staff were very helpful and friendly especially conceriege who helped us plan our activities.

The two disappointing aspects where the car park which is £18 a day which we felt was very excessive as we were not aware of this charge when booking (my own fault for not checking it out here!!). Staff told us the car park is operated by another company but yet the Hilton name is used on the car park.

Also be aware no free wi-Fi in the rooms. There is a charge of about £15 for 24 hours. As we were only checking in for one night it was too much. There is free wifi in the lobby so can't understand why not in rooms.

Thoroughly enjoyed the stay but be aware of the extra charges!

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I have passed your comments along to all department Managers so as to convey your thanks and our appreciation of their teams’ hard work as you had mentioned.

The car parking facilities adjacent to the hotel is owned and operated by JEP Parking Ltd, a separate entity, both rates charged and the operation are ultimately items beyond our control. The discounted rates negotiated for guests of the hotel are comparable to other City Centre parking facilities.

Many thanks again for taking the time to upload your feedback.

Kind Regards,