“What a lovely surprise”
Review of Hilton Belfast

Hilton Belfast
Ranked #22 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I was traveling with family in Scotland and Ireland last fall to do some genealogical research. I had booked us a room for the first night so that we would have a place to go after the flight from the US. After that, we had planned to stay at different local hotels. We hadn't booked anything in advance, preferring to leave ourselves open depending on what we found as we travelled.

Well, this hotel was quite modern and comfortable. Spacious renovated rooms. I have stayed at other Hiltons in Europe and found that most of them have small rooms and bathrooms than their typical American counterparts. This hotel was much nicer than most Hiltons I have stayed it. The rooms felt more like a Westin.

Needless to say, we decided to stay for 3 more days and made the hotel a base camp from which to explore Northern Ireland.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you are going to Belfast. The city has much to offer... Don't be afraid about stories of "the troubles" - instead, take a Belfast Taxi Tour. A driver will take you through some historic sites of Belfast's troubled recent history and explain it to you from a local perspective. It was enlightening and hopeful.

Great rooms, great bathroom, WONDERFUL breakfast buffet...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank roadwarriorla

Reviewed 25 January 2013

The breakfast is fantastic. The bright restaurant room has a fantastic view to the river. The building is massive and lacks the elegance and style younger hotels have often in this category. I have been there two times now. First time I arrived after midnight. During check in my gold status upgrade was "forgotten" even so I presented the membership card which I also used for the booking. Either i was to tired to explain myself correctly or the front desk manager was to tired to understand me. The second time I had to ask for another room because the cleaning was not accept able. Fortunately I was upgraded to a nice corner studio as an excuse, I appreciated that. The next time I tried to make a reservation I just received the answer "Sorry Sir, we are completely booked" I wrote another mail and asked if they was one room available, regardless if it is in the highest or in the lowest category. The answer was quite short: "sorry Sir we are completely booked".

So there was no third stay for me. But maybe I will go there again to check if they improved something.

Checking the other reviews I ask myself if there is something wrong with me or if the only other guest is an pr-agency that writes reviewes. And if so whydo they need the whole hotel so that I cannot make a reservation?

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Stayed here nye reception staff professional and speedy checkin hilton honnors.our room was king and usual hilton style.only downside was the shower over the bath always prefer seperate. Everything was very clean fluffy towels etc.good heating system in hilton rooms as weather was freezing we needed it. We had meal in the restaurant which was very nice expensive but we have a discount card .cocktails in the bar were a let down plenty of alchol just no idea of decoration said to one of the barmen he took it away and he put 2 short black straws and small piece of lime on the rim!! unreal they would need some training !
Breakfast was the usual hilton feast plenty of choice and eggs cooked fresh any way you want .alot of young staff on and not alot of organization im all for giving local people jobs but the belfast slang should be toned down when the staff were talking loudly to each other. Hotel would just need to sort out the small things and not let standards slip or they will lose customers as there are plenty of hotels to choose from in belfast.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jensim7
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I've always enjoyed my stays here. I find Hilton hotels consistently reward "loyal guests" more than they need to; or even simply staying an entire week will often result in a free upgrade. On this occasion I was given a very large suite, which of course enhanced the stay.

Check-in was very pleasant and efficient, the room was wonderful, the (room service) food was excellent, breakfast is of a very high standard and in a lovely bright setting along the waterfront.

For me personally, the only let-down is the fitness centre and the lack of any pool or sauna - however there is wonderful jogging to be done from right outside the hotel. It isn't located right in the heart of Belfast, but town is within walking distance. It is though ideally located for both the Waterfront and Odyssey venues.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Hopeless restaurant staff who bring starters and main at the same time. Ovcerpriced wine £9 a glass (unless you want the dishwater that is the house wine)! Limited menu and nothing healthy on there

Gym - may as well not bother!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Hi There, we spent a night here the weekend prior to Xmas. This allowed me to attend the Snow Patrol session in the next door waterfront hall, while everyone else went shopping!

It was a great stay, we got 2 rooms on the top floor - one twin and one king. When we first openned the door of the twin room, it was still set up as a double, but the housekeeping Team had it changed in 20 mins - brilliant!

In the meantime we waited in the executive lounge (yeap, diamond member!) which has fab views over the city.

The rooms were great, very clean and also had excellent views. The staff without exception were polite and helpful.

We ate twice in the hotel, once in the bar, which was very expensive (no surprises there), but was fit for purpose.

Breakfast was typically good, rarely fails!

All in all, highly recommended - no doubt we'll be back again!

Room Tip: If you can, get a room on the toop floors, and gain access to the exec lounge - Chilled beer tastes...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a day trip to Belfast. We got two rooms, one for us, one for the kids, with adjoining doors. The dinner in the restaurant downstairs was top notch, gourmet quality with a great taste of Ireland. The rooms were spotless, well equipped, even a teapot (not just a cheap coffee pot) that was welcome after a trip on a bus. Concierge service was friendly, and didn't just direct us to the tourist traps, but asked questions to find out what we were interested in. We had a river view, very pretty at night. All in all, a great stay with a great breakfast!

Room Tip: Try to get a river view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family