“Dirty room with number of damaged items in the bathroom area”
Review of Hilton Belfast

Hilton Belfast
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel in January 2014 for a short period.

Having not stayed at the hotel prior to this occasion, I had very high expectations of the hotel on all fronts. It was however, during my experience in the bathroom area and in the main room area, was where my expectations became deflated due to a number of issues:

- Curtain unsightly hanging from it's "ring" in the shower

- Telephone in the bathroom poorly attached to the wall with silicone and it was in the process of "falling off" with the wires visible (a safety hazard?)

- When I went to use one of the plugs under the bed to charge my mobile telephone, I noted a number of crumbs and a medicinal pill of some description on the floor. I have no idea whether this was a legal or illegal pill, but I was absolutely disgusted by this. Only for the fact that I had such a long day and I needed immediate sleep and I was checking out as soon as I woke up, I would have made the verbal complaint. This is clear evidence that the room was not cleaned to a basic standard that one should least expect.

Having returned from this stay, these are not the type of standards that I would have envisaged from this type of hotel. It gives the appearance that the rooms are poorly maintained and not cleaned to a basic standard.

I sent an e-mail to the Hilton regarding this on the day I arrived home and did not receive a response until 3 days later. I found the response unsatisfactory.

I would not stay here as it is unclean, a danger to ones health / safety and poorly maintained.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AG_Maynooth
Ciaran M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for delivering your valuable feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the sub standard quality of your room. This is not our usual level of service, and certainly not one that will be accepted. The training issue has since been addressed with the particular team member that was responsible.

I am pleased that my colleague recognised the severity of the problem and took the initiative to offer what I think to be suitable compensation. I do hope you choose to take advantage of this and give us a chance to restore your faith in the property.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 6 February 2014

went on feb2nd to see a concert the hotel was so close to the venue so no taxis needed the hotel was clean and the staff were fantastic and couldnt do enough.i would recomend the hilton to all my family and friends and we cant wait to return again,always check for special offers but they are reasonably priced to begin with

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Ciaran M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a top rated review for the Hotel. It is always a pleasure to have our loyal guests share their experiences with rest of the world.

A very warm welcome awaits you on your next return.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Thank you so much for the fabulous stay on Friday 31 Jan 14 in Hilton Belfast.
The room was excellent, spotlessly clean with everything you could have wanted, staff I spoke too were very pleasant and polite!
The meal in the restaurant was mouth-watering especially the steak really loved the warm bread and dips especially mum!
The reception/concierge staff were very pleasant and helpful!
The staff in cables bar were pleasant on a busy evening after the Waterfront Hall. Ordered a white wine and tea (the tea was cold which Conor replaced when I asked) otherwise fine experience.
Breakfast was beautiful, staff very attentive and pleasant - nothing was too much trouble even when I ordered porridge. Choice was excellent and delicious and replenished often.
Over all we had a fantastic night and mum will remember her birthday for some time to come.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Regina85

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your review of Hilton Belfast. It is very pleasing to read comments from guests who have had great experience with us and is very encouraging to all of the team here.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

My issues were in the restaurant as there was a real lack of staff presence on the floor and some of the things on the menu did not appear on our plates, the apple sorbet with the lemon tart, the lime vegetables with the salted chilli chicken was actually coleslaw. The food was fantastic, the service was a bit rubbish though. We had to ask for a steak knife which you could reason away on a busy night but there were in total 14 customers in the restaurant. We also were left sitting with dessert plates for a long time, and there were other customers who has left and their main course plates were still on the table 10 or 15 minutes later. We were never offered any tea or coffee to finish off our meal. I think for an establishment such as the Hilton these things should not have happened.
However, the rest of our stay was great. Breakfast the next morning was lovely, as were the staff that served us. My one criticism of breakfast is that it was a hot buffet which I am not a fan of but that is more a personal preference thing as opposed to the fault of the hotel.
This review may come across as very critical and pernickety but I am a server in a hotel and feel that there is nothing worse than bad service so perhaps that will explain the many small things which I have raised.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Hilton Belfast.

I am pleased you had a great stay with us and appreciate your constructive feedback, and I shall certainly share your comments with the relevant departments
Look forward to welcoming you back again soon,

Regards,

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We are rating this hotel on the basis that it is a 4 out 5 star hotel. We stayed here for 6 nights.

We are giving the hotel a 3 for many reasons. The hotel room needed to be deep cleaned. There was thick dust and just plain dirt. The tub was always getting clogged. The air conditioning would work then stop working. The best part is that the maintenance crew told me what was wrong and said that the system was overwhelmed and that they had to reset it. Well, the system broke around 7 pm at night and there were no maintenance staff left at work so no air conditioning. We had to call a lot to get house keeping to clean the our room. I think the biggest issue was that the staff did not help when we tried to change our plans with another Hilton in Europe. Zero help...

The location of the hotel is great. Felt safe. Close to everything. The restaurants at the hotel offer good food and service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your stay at the hotel, we always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and it would appear that on this occasion that we failed to meet your expectations.

I have shared your review with the relevant department managers to investigate your feedback.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Our Son works and lives in Belfast and we choose this hotel on a room only basis for somewhere to sleep, We have stayed in other chain hotels in the City and this one rates well. The reception was very efficient and rooms very clean and spacios with all the accessories you need e,g, hairdryer, iron etc and plentiful supplies of tea and coffee. Our room was on the seventh floor with an excellent vie of the river.We did not use any of the faciilities and the express checkout was welcomed. Well worth using for a cenral location close to shops.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your review of Hilton Belfast. It is very pleasing to read comments from guests who have had great experience with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in December while visiting for a gig. We got a fair rate on the room and overall were happy with what we paid.

We got a taxi from city airport taking about 10 mins and cost about £8. We arrived around 10.15 am and were given the executive lounge key despite our room not being ready and thankfully the breakfast had not quite been packed away so we grabbed something to eat before heading off.

Location wise, it is about 10 mins tops to the heart of the city shopping and nightlife. It felt a safe walk at all times and taxis were plentiful if needed.

The market opposite was great for browsing and had some lovely crafty bits and cakes. We went each morning as it was slightly different each day.

Later we got our room key and had a nice room overlooking the river. Not a stunning view to be honest but probably as good as you'd get. We used the executive loung facilities each evening which was great and service was top notch.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was fine- have has better, have had worse.

Open spaces generally within the hotel were clean and tidy as was our room.

Around Belfast, we spent some time browsing the shops and Xmas market, and visits several pubs, especially around the cathedral quarter. Nightlife overall was great!

We visited the Crumlin road jail, and also did a black cab tour which the concierge arranged for us- without doubt this is a must do activity, it was fascinating. It cost £30 (maybe £35 can't be sure) and lasted 1.5 hours. He picked us up from the hotel and explained all the history and showed us the sites and murals etc. especially good value if there are more of you as the price is the same for a taxi full.

Overall, can't fault the hotel and we had a fab weekend, would not hesitate to stay here agaign

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your great review of our hotel. It looks like we've ticked all the boxes.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure again soon.

Kindest Regards,