“Nice hotel, awful customer service”
Review of Hilton Belfast

Hilton Belfast
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed here for the first two nights of our honeymoon, naively booking for 11th & 12th July 2010. The room was lovely - big, comfortable, and with a good view. The roblem was with other guests' behaviour, and the hotel's reluctance to do anything about it. All the other rooms about it were occupied by large groups of men only, who seemed to have been drinking heavily, were smoking, very noisy at all hours, banging doors, shouting, etc, and whose behaviour I found very intimidating. The smoke permeating our room set off my athsma, and left my wedding dress stinking.

When we spoke to staff about this in the morning, we were told that they knew about it, but felt that to approach the people causing the disturbance might cause difficulties.

We subsequently contacted the hotel head office with our complaints who said they wanted to resolve our queries, but offered no appology, no further communication, and no compensation for two sleepless (for all the wrong reasons) and stressful nights. Wouldn't stay there again, in spite of convenient location and nice room.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JEHSmith
Ciaran M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent return stay at the hotel, we always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and it would appear that on this occasion that we failed to meet your expectations.

I have shared your review with the relevant department managers and apologise for the inconvenience due to the noise from other guests.

I hope to welcome you back to Hilton Belfast, A marked improvement will be noted.

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed stay at Hilton. Rooms were clean & very nice but to be honest expected bit more from 4* hotel. Breakfast was good but I felt when staff realised we were local as in from N Ireland they didn't pay much attention. I noticed quite few overseas visitors being treated alot better when being seated for breakfast. Also had quite bit wait for coffee for breakfast although waiting staff did apologise for the oversight.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank ELAINE633

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your constructive feedback, and I shall certainly share your comments, both positive and negative with the relevant departments.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I hadn't been to the Hilton in Belfast for about 5 years, but was looking forward to returning. I found it to be old, beat up, tired, whatever the right word that describes no one is paying attention to the upkeep. My first room seemed good enough, until I saw all the hair in the shower. Ugh! Not a good start. Also, upon a late arrival to the city, we tried to get dinner at the restaurant shortly after 11 (not later than 10 past the hour), but were stonewalled "the kitchen closes at 11 and the chef has left and gone home" but options were provided "but you can get room service" ... hmmmm "but I'm with a group and we are NOT sharing a room", and then the realization "how can the chef have left? Who's cooking room service?" ... and YES the menu did include hot food! A quick check at the front desk and they confirmed, sorry no food service in the restaurant. So we LEFT and at 12:30 AM, walking the empty, mostly closed city, we finally found a pizza place. Did I mention it was mid-30s, windy and rainy??? What hotel sends it patrons out into the cold dark night without having made every effort to accommodate. In the morning, breakfast also disappointed - the cost was included in my room charge, but it was machine made by the cup coffee - no milk. Bread - no toaster. Eggs - powdered (yuck).

Never will I go back again.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
1  Thank Cars22

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately however, you were not entirely satisfied with your overall experience, and I am particularly disappointed to read that the hotel lacked service. I must admit that service is one of the main areas which we are complimented on, never-the-less, I am sorry that on this occasion you felt otherwise.

Once again, I thank you for your time and your comments, and look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Belfast within the not too distant future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Lovely open plan lobby, great location. Staff very professional and courteous. Checking in was quick. The room was excellent. Clean and comfy. Excellent bed, good bathroom. Had a meal at the restaurant. The food was superb. We'll presented and tasty. The layout and ambience of the dining room was lovely. We were seated by the window and had a wonderful view. The hotel concierge was friendly and helpful. Had a good nights sleep and the breakfast buffet was also superb. Now the cons. I had to pay for parking, it was subsidised but still cost £18 a night. I thought the room could have included some robes and slippers, it's 5 star after all. There was also a problem on checkout, I had booked using booking.com at a rate of £140 for the night. On checking the bill they we're looking £180. I was also charged for a bottle of vodka from the minibar which I had not used. In fairness when this was pointed out the bill was amended. Apparently the minibar senses bottles being lifted, I had opened the fridge door for a look and this must have triggered it. Was just a bit disappointing to be debating over a bill with a queue behind me. Was a nice stay over all but 4 not 5 stars from me.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sean73G

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Belfast. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay and I have shared your kind comments with our team.

I shall also be sure to advise our Reservations Manager regarding issue with your room rate on check out and I do apologise for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed for one night in February while attending something in waterfront. Arrived really early but staff very obliging allowed me to check in early. On first impression of room looked comfortable. However there was a fusty smell in room when u opened door. Rooms very modern however we were placed in an adjoining room and could hear every word being said in next room. Surfaces were covered in dust. Bulb gone in one of the lights. Welcome screen on TV had somebody else's name. Had four course dinner in restaurant. Food was tasty and well presented.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your great review of our hotel.

I have shared your review with the relevant department managers to investigate your feedback regarding your Bedroom cleanliness and amenities.

I do hope that despite your experience that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 27 February 2014

First time there and despite some difficulties with the booking the staff at reception were so good, polite and helpful it didn't bother me at all. The concierge in particular deserves a mention as an excellent example of Irish hospitality. The room was good, clean and well maintained and the hotel overall was well situated with great staff. The only reason it didn't get five stars was because the food was only OK, not great but the rest of the hotel made up for it.

2  Thank JnReid3

Thank you for taking the time to write a top rated review for Hilton Belfast. It is always a pleasure to have our guests share their experiences with rest of the world.

A very warm welcome awaits you on your next stay.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I was very happy with the breakfast and reception staff and the decor in my room was excellent. The bed was very comfortable. However I was really let down by housekeeping cleanliness standards. I should have called the manager, because reception staff are and management were very good.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I shall also be sure to advise our Housekeeping Manager regarding the cleanliness of the room and also the bed