“Not to be recommended”

Maryville House
Ranked #8 of 51 Belfast B&B and Inns
“Not to be recommended”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I purchased two vouchers as Christmas presents for my sisters - I thought this experience would be something different and very pleasant. I booked a table 4 weeks in advance and were really looking forward to it. When we arrived for our 3.00 booking, we were told that our table was not ready. We were shown into the "little" snug and given tea. 20 minutes later we were shown to our table. We could not hear ourselves speak as there was a table of about 20 young and older females sitting close to us. When our afternoon tea arrived it was very scanty. The sandwiches which we pre-selected were okay. The next layer were the scones. They were dry, for three of us we got two tiny dishes of fresh cream and one tiny dish of jam. The final layer was pastries. There were three tiny plastic glasses with fresh cream, nine small pastries which were very dry and not very appetising. We assumed we had to put the cream on the pastries ourselves (no spoons supplied to do this). At a cost of nearly £14 per head I certainly will not be recommending this to any of my friends. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTING.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank kathleen h
MaryvilleHouse, Owner at Maryville House, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Kathleen

I am sorry you feel being offered a seat and refreshments as you were waiting for your table as an inconvenience, we are surprised you felt this way. Many of our guests fight over sitting in this area as it is intimate and gives an opportunity for private conversation.

As I am sure you can appreciate on a busy day we do your out most to provide everyone with a relaxing enjoyably experience, hence we do not think it is appropriate to chase guests away from their table. As we are getting more and more in demand with our afternoon teas we might have to consider implementing a maximum booking time.

All produce from our own home bakery is delivered fresh on a daily basis,all produce is hand baked, we use Belgian chocolate, free range eggs, butter,not margarine & no mixes, preservatives or additives. The cream provided was for your scones, and yes you are supposed to spread the jam, butter or cream on the scone yourself as everyone likes to spend time and prepare their scones to their liking.The little pots you referred to as cream was white chocolate mousse. Our little treats are normally a big hit and most guests will either finish their plates or take the remainders home in a little goodie bag. I am sorry you were disappointed, however I feel we tried to make your visit a great one.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

my friend and i had afternoon tea here,it was very good.nice setting,sandwiches etc tasted good and the staff were very friendly.at 13.95 quite good value for money esp as i got free refills of filter coffee.i will have afternoon tea here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2014
Killyleagh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

First impressions good. Liked the look of the place immediately. In very good taste.
Nice atmosphere with a good buzz. My friend and I were greeted warmly and were served good coffee fairly swiftly.
We both ordered the full breakfast and requested poached eggs instead of the scrambled eggs offered. This didn't pose a problem.
When breakfast arrived it wasn't so much the quality of the ingredients but the careless manner the components were cooked that grated. Bacon rind was un crisped and therefore unappetising, the soda and potato bread the same. A grill for the bacon and a hot pan and a little oil for the bread would have cured the problem. Cooked tomato was under ripe and insipid looking. Our black pudding still had the casing on it. The sausage however was good quality and mushrooms were nicely cooked. In summary I found it a shame that someone's carelessness took the shine off what is undoubtedly a lovely place in a great area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Called in by chance and had bagels bacon and cream cheese. Very nice indeed with large pot of tea. Very pleasant surroundings. Def would go back and reasonably priced too. Staff were also very welcoming offering a high chair for the baby

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

I was given an afternoon tea voucher for Christmas from my daughter. I have to say honestly it was one of the nicest experiences I have had in a long time. After the endless days and nights of bad service at local eateries wrong orders moody staff and a general attitude of pay and go Maryville House was a refreshing and uplifting change.

My daughter and I where greeted at the door, brought straight to our table which was beautifully set, and asked with real interest how we were! We where offered tea while we had a look at the menu and the waitress chatted away even though the tea room was busy. Once our order was placed we where left to sit and enjoy the atmosphere of this lovely house.
Just before our afternoon tea was about to be presented the SAME waitress offered us fresh drinks. I highlight the same waitress as it is lovely to have the same person continue to serve you throughout your time in a restaurant. The afternoon tea was scrumptious. Fresh sandwiches, warm scones, mini traybakes and jellies and lemon moose severd with cute spoons tied with ribbion!

Overall a fantastic and quaint experience that I most definitely will be repeating!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

After two excellent visits to this tearoom, I recommended it to a group of friends. Sadly this time things were different. Sandwiches were fresh and tasty but sweet selection left a lot to be desired. They were very dry and tasteless, not like previous times. We had to wait for ages for our order to be taken and even then had to call the waitress. We had to ask for more hot water and just felt the service was lacking. I wrote to complain but did not receive a reply. When I eventually telephoned I received an apology and an assurance that all complaints were taken seriously.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LEO1444
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Had afternoon tea with my wife for our anniversary, had to chop and change booking due to late arrivals of family so rather than 2 ended up with 5 and a baby! Staff were friendly, attentive and understanding. Lovely decor, romantic setting, afternoon tea was tasty and festive.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family