“Disappointed - this place used to be great!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maryville House

and 1 more site!
Maryville House
Ranked #8 of 51 Belfast B&B and Inns
“Disappointed - this place used to be great!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I'm really sad to be writing this review as we have been regular customers at Maryville for about 3 years now and I have recommended it to a lot of people and have even bought gift vouchers for family members for afternoon tea. Our family have came here for afternoon tea for the last 3 years for my young daughters birthday. This year the girl who took our reservation was really unhelpful, rude and in fact hung up on me when I was still talking to process the deposit on the card machine -not great but maybe she was having a bad day. The young girl who served us was pleasant enough. The sandwiches were good as usual but the rest of the tea was not good at all. Dry tasteless scones and the tray bakes which used to be great were so unappealing that we only ate one. One of the tray bakes had some blue mould growing on it. We brought this to the attention of the girl serving us and she apologised and offered us a couple more to take home as "goodwill". I declined this as I knew they would be wasted and I was feeling a bit queasy after discovering the mouldy tray bake. When my husband went to pay the bill the girl who seemed to be there in a managerial capacity had a really bad attitude (May have been the same girl who took our reservation but maybe there is more than one surly member of staff working there nowadays). We paid £17 each for afternoon tea which must be a very recent price increase (not good value either if it's only the sandwiches which are edible). My 6 year old daughter had a plain cheese sandwich which wasn't included in the bill. The manager told my husband that they had looked at the other tray bakes and they were all fine and that it was probably some blue tissue on it. He asked for it back and offered to have it tested as it was clearly mouldy. He was told that the cheese sandwich wasn't charged because of the problem with the tray bake. As a regular customer I feel really let down by our recent visit here and the poor service we received. We came away very disappointed with the attitude of the manager/supervisor. As this was somewhere we used to enjoy visiting regularly we decided to phone and inform the owner about this visit and to discuss it with her directly. Unfortunately she was not available any of the three times we phoned and has not returned the calls. I will be going somewhere else that appreciates and values their customers to celebrate family occasions in the future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Cee K
MaryvilleHouse, Owner at Maryville House, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear & much appreciated customer.

I can guarantee that you were not intentionally cut off from any conversation, no member of staff would do this in Maryville house.We have had a new visa terminal installed for our card transactions, unfortunately for a period we did not have the luxury of dual lines, this would explain how you got cut off.

You point out that you have been visiting us for three years, which I think explain that
the experience you had was not the norm.
I can remember your visit and I do apologize on the managers behalf if you felt it was not addressed appropriately. We get our bakery goods fresh daily from our bakery, the item you mentioned was removed immediately when it was brought to our attention. All I can do is apologize and mention that this has not happened before.
Perhaps it is a proof that our produce does not contain any artificial preservatives or additives.
My husband forgot a muffin from main chain cafe, it was left for a month on a windowsill and was exactly the same when found, a bit worrying!
If you can recall the mold on the tray bake was the size of a pinhead, hence we had not spotted it and were very grateful for you bringing this to our attention. I also remember a person calling regarding this issue at one occasion, at that particular time it was extremely busy in the tearoom and I was helping out making coffees, I was unaware of further phone calls. The afternoon tea is £14.95/ person, the extra you paid would have been for surplus items. Other than offering something complimentary and reduce the due bill I can not think how we could have compensated you for one tray bake. Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Beal Feirste
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

The previous review must have been extremely unfortunate as we, a young couple (not pensioners!!!), brought my mother for an early mother's day on Saturday, 29th also. It is definitely not overpriced, £7/8 for a very tasty breakfast with tea or coffee (refills too). The staff were really very friendly with us and we have raved about it to everyone. Had been to the Merchant last year, but this was a much nicer experience. Bright, open, airy and clean with a relaxed happy atmosphere. Oh yes, we will be back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sean T
Dear breakfast guest.

Thank you so much for your review.
We very much appreciate your time taken to simply compliment us on our performance.
It is so important that we also get positive reviews to keep the morale going amongst the staff,(especially,) they work very hard and expectations are high.

kind regards.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Never been so disappointed. As a regular customer on a Sunday to their sister site in botanic where the staff are very polite, accomodating and friendly where the food is good and served with a smile and attention to detail. To a pretentious over priced upity "tearoom".
The staff don't look like they have been told anything about service. They don't smile and are like little robots. I had to ask 3 times for milk with my half filled teapot of green tea.
The sandwiches came out 30 minutes later with no apology and as the plate was set down they all fell open and the contents fell out.
Not worth the money or effort to go here.
Might suit a non fussy pensioner with to much money.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Keith J
Dear visitor.

I can't help but to think, hmm, very strange, but not !
Some reviews are best not answered!
This is simply put here by a person who does not like seeing us doing so well.
Anonymous, but not!

Thanks, but no thanks!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

The house is beautiful and so very welcoming. Our rooms were immaculate and our hosts go above and beyond every day.

Location is good. Lots if restaurants on the nearby cross street. Coming back to the house after being out is like coming home.

Special thank you to Nicole and Helen for making our stay so nice.

• Stayed March 2014
      Rooms
2 Thank Zelda328
Dear guests.

Thank you so much for your lovely review!
You were a delight to look after.
Hope to see you again & take care.

Kind regards.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I went today for lunch and was looking forward to the beetroot and goats cheese salad as I had it before and it was great. The waitress avoided bringing us a menu until we had to alert her. We did not have to wait too long for the food but it was so disappointing- lank lettuce and smothered in a watery tasteless sauce. We then had to really try and get the attention of the waitress to get dessert and were met by a less than friendly person behind the counter who served our choices. All in all no great reason to rush back unfortunately.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ruth G
Dear visitor.

I was very surprised at your review!
The only staff on duty this day was myself and the manager, we were perplexed about this report.
I was the unhelpful person behind the bar, who talked you through all the options and suggestions, not sure how else I could have helped you.
The snack menu that you mention does not exist, the menu we do have on offer, had already been given to you.
As for the bland dressing, I made it , it has been complimented on many occasions with inquires about the recipe.
Best regards.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I booked a ' large double room' on bookin.com, for my partner and I. Unfortunately I was dissapointed when shown to the Jasmine room - it was very small and cramped. Bed was comfortable. Ensuite was tiny with a low pressure shower. The bedside lamps were covered in dust and we noted a few cobwebs on the chandelier. Despite all the negatives, we had a lovely stay. The house is beautiful. It was quiet and peaceful. We received an enjoyable breakfast the following morning - served by a friendly, young male waiter.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit.
I will look in to the issue regarding having booked a large double room on booking .com.
This is simply an error which we have missed to pick up on, it's a pity, we could have rectified it during check in.
As in regards for the cobweb, we had to look hard to find it, but thanks for pointing it out.
The black lamp shades are unforgiving, but cleaned every week, minimum.

Kind regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a great spot for great food and pleasant surroundings. The tearooms offer from breakfasts to afternoon teas and then other delights as well. The staff give you a very warm welcome. The menu has many options and delights and I would find it hard to have something that I would complain about. Everything comes out hot and freshly prepared. Nothing is a bother for the staff and the prices are great.
Try this out, it's a must.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest.

Thank you so much for your lovely review!
We work very hard to try and offer something above the normal, serving freshly prepared,homemade food.
It is reassuring to hear from someone that this is noticed.
Thanks again and hope to see you soon.