“The Best B&B in Belfast”
Review of Maryville House

Maryville House
Ranked #9 of 50 Belfast B&B and Inns
Merritt Island, Florida
“The Best B&B in Belfast”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I could not have had better service from the staff at this hotel. They went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable! There was a wonderful array of cookies, scones, and assorted goodies on the sideboard on the 2nd floor. I could help myself to tea or coffee any time and when I dragged myself in late at night, decafe and snacks. The room was cozy, the TV worked, and lots of hot water for my morning shower. The manager knew I had to check out at 5:30 am and offered to pack some food for my bus ride back to Dublin. Now that's customer service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank lmarie911
MaryvilleHouse, Owner at Maryville House, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you so much for all your kind words and thought with your review!
It really is what makes it all worthwhile for us!
Such a boost to the morale of all the staff!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I visited MaryVille house with my grandmother last week when the weather was good. We had booked an afternoon tea and were lucky to get one with how busy they can be on a Saturday! We came through the front door and we were instantly greeted by a lovely smiling face that brought us to our table that was set up with beautiful mis-matched crockery. We had never been for afternoon tea before but the waitresses were very kind and explained how it all worked. We were offered a wide selection of teas and sandwiches and after settling our teas were brought right away. We had a little wait for our sandwiches and tray bakes but this was worth it because they were all so fresh and delightful. There were an abundance of tray bakes and we couldn't possibly finish them but we were able to bring them home with us! We would defiantly recommend maryville house for a lovely warm experience and we will be returning again soon to try more of your delicious tray bakes!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Buttercup21212
We strive to deliver the best service we can offer, in all the aspect of the business and it is therefore so rewarding to hear when we get it right!
Thank you for taking your time to share your positive feedback with a lot of other potential customers!
It really matters to us, a lot!
Thanks ever so much! :)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I spent a week at Maryville House and had a wonderful time there. The rooms are beautiful with a very homely feel about them.
All the staff were both friendly and extremely helpful...
Maryville is situated off the Lisburn Road, with easy access into Town ... a very pleasant 20 minute walk... so if you want to stay in Belfast but not right in the centre, this is definitely the place to stay... I will be a regular visitor to their tea rooms when friends come to visit me.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Darjeeling and it was lovely...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DML27
How lovely to read on Trip advisor what we so often hear daily in our Tearoom and B&B.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share some nice views!
Thank you from me and on the behalf of all the staff!
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Beautiful building but was really disappointed with the quality of the food served for£15. Coffee pots were just refilled with water and old grounds. Had to ask for fresh coffee which was not much better. Sandwiches were few and far between for number of people at our table and the cakes were stale and not very appetising. Won't be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Suzanne c
MaryvilleHouse, Owner at Maryville House, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Guest.
We get a daily delivery of sweets, breads& scones from our own house bakery & we use fresh produce at all times, which range is unique to us and which is much appreciated by our guests, regular and new.
We get so many wonderful reviews and everyone in the tearoom is served the same items.
We use fresh loose leaf tea by Thompson's family tea and we equally get compliments daily for our fresh tea, we serve a generous portion in a teapot and most customer are simply looking for a heat up. However, if requested we offer another fresh pot. All coffees are made using quality lusso beans from a local coffee roasting company , freshly ground and served in any way requested, lattes, cappuccinos etc. Every afternoon tea customer is always served a round of sandwiches each, again we get a lot of compliments for our sandwiches which are made fresh to order and to each booking.
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A beautiful afternoon tea, lovely choice of sandwiches and a vast array of cakes and tray bakes. Very nice victorian table setting. Easy parking in the on site car park. Unfortunately the waitress service was very slow, our tea and coffee was cold before our food arrived.

Room Tip: Easy on site parking.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank RebelRosie
MaryvilleHouse, Owner at Maryville House, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear guest.

Many thanks for your compliments which I think truly reflects the lovely feedback we get in house on a daily basis.
If you should have our afternoon tea again I would like to highlight that we offer free top ups and new drinks if needed for the afternoon tea. The drinks are simply served to start the experience off and you should have been offered top, this is standard procedure. The food normally arrives within plenty of time to enjoy a hot drink.

Many thanks & hope to see you soon again.
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I'm really sad to be writing this review as we have been regular customers at Maryville for about 3 years now and I have recommended it to a lot of people and have even bought gift vouchers for family members for afternoon tea. Our family have came here for afternoon tea for the last 3 years for my young daughters birthday. This year the girl who took our reservation was really unhelpful, rude and in fact hung up on me when I was still talking to process the deposit on the card machine -not great but maybe she was having a bad day. The young girl who served us was pleasant enough. The sandwiches were good as usual but the rest of the tea was not good at all. Dry tasteless scones and the tray bakes which used to be great were so unappealing that we only ate one. One of the tray bakes had some blue mould growing on it. We brought this to the attention of the girl serving us and she apologised and offered us a couple more to take home as "goodwill". I declined this as I knew they would be wasted and I was feeling a bit queasy after discovering the mouldy tray bake. When my husband went to pay the bill the girl who seemed to be there in a managerial capacity had a really bad attitude (May have been the same girl who took our reservation but maybe there is more than one surly member of staff working there nowadays). We paid £17 each for afternoon tea which must be a very recent price increase (not good value either if it's only the sandwiches which are edible). My 6 year old daughter had a plain cheese sandwich which wasn't included in the bill. The manager told my husband that they had looked at the other tray bakes and they were all fine and that it was probably some blue tissue on it. He asked for it back and offered to have it tested as it was clearly mouldy. He was told that the cheese sandwich wasn't charged because of the problem with the tray bake. As a regular customer I feel really let down by our recent visit here and the poor service we received. We came away very disappointed with the attitude of the manager/supervisor. As this was somewhere we used to enjoy visiting regularly we decided to phone and inform the owner about this visit and to discuss it with her directly. Unfortunately she was not available any of the three times we phoned and has not returned the calls. I will be going somewhere else that appreciates and values their customers to celebrate family occasions in the future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Cee K
Dear & much appreciated customer.

I can guarantee that you were not intentionally cut off from any conversation, no member of staff would do this in Maryville house.We have had a new visa terminal installed for our card transactions, unfortunately for a period we did not have the luxury of dual lines, this would explain how you got cut off.

You point out that you have been visiting us for three years, which I think explain that
the experience you had was not the norm.
I can remember your visit and I do apologize on the managers behalf if you felt it was not addressed appropriately. We get our bakery goods fresh daily from our bakery, the item you mentioned was removed immediately when it was brought to our attention. All I can do is apologize and mention that this has not happened before.
Perhaps it is a proof that our produce does not contain any artificial preservatives or additives.
My husband forgot a muffin from main chain cafe, it was left for a month on a windowsill and was exactly the same when found, a bit worrying!
If you can recall the mold on the tray bake was the size of a pinhead, hence we had not spotted it and were very grateful for you bringing this to our attention. I also remember a person calling regarding this issue at one occasion, at that particular time it was extremely busy in the tearoom and I was helping out making coffees, I was unaware of further phone calls. The afternoon tea is £14.95/ person, the extra you paid would have been for surplus items. Other than offering something complimentary and reduce the due bill I can not think how we could have compensated you for one tray bake. Kind regards
Beal Feirste
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

The previous review must have been extremely unfortunate as we, a young couple (not pensioners!!!), brought my mother for an early mother's day on Saturday, 29th also. It is definitely not overpriced, £7/8 for a very tasty breakfast with tea or coffee (refills too). The staff were really very friendly with us and we have raved about it to everyone. Had been to the Merchant last year, but this was a much nicer experience. Bright, open, airy and clean with a relaxed happy atmosphere. Oh yes, we will be back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sean T
Dear breakfast guest.

Thank you so much for your review.
We very much appreciate your time taken to simply compliment us on our performance.
It is so important that we also get positive reviews to keep the morale going amongst the staff,(especially,) they work very hard and expectations are high.

kind regards.