“Central location for a good price at the time”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Arrived on the 12th July. Hotel is right next to airport bus link and close to all city attractions. Some confusion with the middle aged blonde receptionist. Rest of the staff were good though.

Interesting plaque states President Clinton stayed here. On the counter a sign stated ''No football attire. No flags. No band costumes.'' It would have made a good photo to capture both images. Seemed to be lots of Orangemen from Glasgow in residence during our stay.

As half the city was closed for the public holiday, it was a real pleasure to use the Piano Bar. Non residents were not allowed in - so no drunks from the parades. Drinks were reasonable prices and cocktails seemed quite popular.

No air-conditioning in bedrooms and windows only tilt forward to open. So it could get quite hot and stuffy. A fan should have been provided at least. This was the biggest draw back of the stay. Bedrooms themselves were fine - no mini bar though.

At the weekend there may be some noise. At 70s night disco seemed to be going on in close proximity - maybe it was one of the pubs across the road.

We did not have the breakfast at £16 but there are plenty of cheaper options nearby. Restaurant prices for other meals seemed quite reasonable though.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (4,542)

Reviewed 16 July 2011

Upon checking in and informing receptionist that my itineray had changed - not only was my room type changed, the room that had originally been reserved for me was changed. The receptionist did not care that I had just arrived from an international trip - she was short and very uncaring for my needs as a traveler.

The concierger on the other hand was absoltey brilliant Caring, warm, freindly and so very helpful in everything.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Richat0
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear Richat0,

I am very disappointed to hear this about our reception staff. It disheartens me to hear that you were made to feel this way. This is a very unacceptable manner in which you were dealt with. This is definitely not the manner which is normally conveyed from our reception team. I have made note with the Front Office Manager to monitor this situation but indeed this not the way that our staff have been trained to deal with our guests. I am horrified that you felt this way. I will ensure that this does not reoccur.

Thank you for leaving a comment on tripadvisor and our concierge are delighted with your comments. Hope you will come back and experience in a better light.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

we stayed in the europa on the 12th july night..although a little anxious as we had watched the news reports about rioting in the city. the hotel was an oasis of calm and professionalism. the doormen were only letting in residents on this night..taking into account the volume of people who had been attending the parade on that day. our room was lovely and the reception,bar and dinning room staff were efficent and friendly..have stayed here before and i must say everthing ran smoothly. i would recommend this hotel if you want to experience the city centre.

Room Tip: dont take a standard room.very small with no air conditioning.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear Sheilaandjj,

We are absolutely delighted that you were pleased with your stay. It's great to hear about our professionalism and about our efficient and friendly reception and dining room staff. We really do appreciate it. Thank you once again and we hope to have you back in the hotel soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

This is supposed to be a four star hotel but The Europa has gone down hill a lot since we last used it two years ago.

The staff both in reception and the piano bar were great and the public rooms have been re-decorated to a high standard but the bedrooms are tired and shabby, neithe the clock radio not the television remote control worked properly, there was no mini bar and only one bath/shower gel and shower cap for the two of us.

We had a "superior double" but I dread to think what a standard double would be like.

Althought breakfast had only just stared at 8.00 when we went down next morning most of the hot food , apart from the eggs was overcooked, the fruit salad was mainly apple with a few grapes, and there was there was no grapefruit. just frozen "summer berries" which were too sour to eat..

The cold meat and cheese was just a few slices of cheese, ham and salami , there was no smioked salmon or cream cheese and my husband, who is the expert in such things, said the soda bread was toasted not fried..

The only reason we re-booked was because the breakfast was so good last time but we have had a better breakfast at the Holiday Inn.

Not worth complaining as we were only staying one night on our way back to the airport bur we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jackie-Kevin

Dear Jackie-Kevin,

I am very sorry that you have been let down on this occasion in the hotel. The hotel has undergone an extensive refurbishment and facelift and this is certainly not reflective in any shape or form of how our standards normally are here at the hotel. We take pride in giving excelent customer service and product and I apologise for this not being shown during your recent trip. I have spoken with the Housekeeping Manager to have a personal check on all our superiors to ensure all are up to superior standard.
With regards to breakfast i am sorry that it did not live to previous standards. This is the height of our groups season and it appears that they got to the breakfast before you did. I have spoken with the Restaurant and Chefs to ensure that buffet is replenished as quickly as possible. Our hot buffets are ready to run from 7am and I apologise in this instance that you did not have a full choice made available to you.
Thanks again for letting us know and all items will be addressed.

Reviewed 8 July 2011

stayed in this hotel last weekend suposed to be a 4 star plus well we dont know whos giving out the stars !!!! . On arriving in to reception we were greeted with big stains on the celing they could not be missed, the reception staff were friendly enough, as we had to book our meal for thar night we did so, one of the lifts were broken so we had a bit of a wait to get to our rooms, on entering the room on the 11th floor found it to be tiny, we had to walk sideways to get around the bed to the table that had our tea and coffee facilites the table was covered in white rings and very grubby, the shower had hairs and around it was brown where it hadnt been cleaned in a while, the heat in the room was unbearable, no air conditoning, that evening we arrived at the restaurant only to be told they had no booking for us, we would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pepperg

Dear Pepperg,

Thank you for leaving a response on tripadvisor. I believe I have responded to you through our own comment cards in the hotel. I believe any issues have been resolved.
I thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 7 July 2011

we stayed in the europa hotel 1st of july for two nights i have never been to northern ireladn before so chose this very well know hotel when we arrived the reception staff were very friendly and prompt with dealing with us . our rooms were quite small room 1112 is were we stayed i think it needed a full lenght mirror for the women and a smaller mirror in the bathroom for the men for shaving, bed quite small , fab tea and coffee facilities and flat screen tv was great .the heat in the hotel was unbelievable no air conditioning, and the noise kept us up the two nights we were at the side of the hotel . we had an incendent at the bar with a member of staff but the bar manager sorted it out for us our bathroom was not very clean. behind the door were tags from a previous client i asked reception to let household know but it was never done . one of the lifts were broken which ment it took forever to gte up and down to all floor it was still broken when we left. the concieirge were very helpful. i dont know if i would stay here again as the price as the room does not match up to what you get. i must say we had breakfast on both morning it was fab and a band in the bar on saturday night were excellent . they really needed to have a swimming pool for the size and price you would expect this

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jumangie

Dear Jumangie,

Thanks for the excellent comments on our friendly reception & concierge team and about the breakfast in the hotel.
Thanks also for the constructive criticism you have provided us with regarding the mirrors. The room type booked was the lowest standard room type and I would suggest booking directly with the hotel and choosing the grade above for the most preferable rate.
I apologise that you found it too hot in the room. I do apologise that in those rooms there is no air-con. Indeed we have air-con in our executive rooms. I am also sorry for the noise but due to being city centre location this is unavoidable. Our executive rooms at the back of the hotel would be a better option for you.
I also apologise for the lift not working but this had just gone down and we were awaiting a part for it to be fixed. We made available to our guests the two other working lifts plus our additional service lift for guest access on this occasion. I do apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. I thank you again for bringing these shortcomings to my attention and they will be discussed.

Reviewed 5 July 2011

I normally enjoy staying at this hotel in winter but last weekend was a surprise.The staff couldn't find our reservation from hotels.com,then there were no non-smoking rooms available till 4pm,then when they did find a room it was really hot and stuffy.We had to open the window which didn't open much and then had to listen to the unbelievable noise from sat revellers from the two pubs down in front.We had been really enjoying the night till we had to deal with sleeping in 40c heat.So no sleep and sore throats from dehydration.Stay in the Raddison!!!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank KPMAC

Dear RichRyan,

I am very sorry that we could not locate your booking on the system. As this was via a third party site and not directly with the hotel, the request from the third party had not reached our system for some unknown reason. I will certainly liaise with hotels.com to ensure that this does not happen again. As we were fully booked the night prior and your booking was not on the system this was the reason for there not being a non-smoking room available. Our housekeeping team work very diigently to get the rooms back to the guests on time but unfortunately on this occasion this was not available.
As we are a city centre location there will be many bars and clubs and I apologise if you did not have a good nights sleep but again this is beyond our control.
We do have executive rooms which are fully air-conditioned and I thank you for your feedback. These issues will certainly be noted.