“Nothing special”

Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Omagh, United Kingdom
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Check in and out was quick and efficient if a little impersonal.

I asked for a room in a quiet location and had a room on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel looking over Glengall Street which fitted the bill nicely. The single room consisted of a small double. The comfortable bed and relatively quiet location made for a good night's sleep.

The bathroom was small but spotlessly clean and had an excellent, roomy "rain" shower. Better lighting is needed to help in applying make-up - an extendable lit mirror would be ideal. I'm 170cm tall but had to stand on tip toes to lean over the basin to get near enough the mirror to try and apply make-up in the very dim glow cast by only one spot-light.

I needed to get some work done before meeting a friend for dinner but the room just isn't geared up to the business traveller. There was a small desk but it had a drawer underneath and the chair height didn't allow me to get comfortably seated with my legas under the table. There are two double sockets and a phone connection behind the desk/dressing table suggesting its dual purpose but no lighting! The lamps on either side of the bed are wired into the wall and couldn't be moved and the light was so dim that I could hardly see my papers at 4pm on a January evening.

Having read other reviews, I was pleasantly surprised that when I took out my iPad to watch a video, it hooked up to free wi-fi. Beware that the in room iPod docking station doesn't charge your device and the TV reception was pretty bad.

The hotel has an unrivalled location with a mutli-storey car park behind and the bus and train station below. I had a drink in the Piano Bar but didn't eat in the hotel - I stayed on a room only basis. There's a very good Cafe Nero in the Great Northern Mall beside the hotel which is great if you only want coffee and a muffin/danish for breakfast. I ate int h excellent GInger, which I can't recommend highly enough.

I'd always wanted to stay in the Europa so have no regrets opting gor it on this occasion. However, the nearby Days Hotel is £30+ cheaper with bigger rooms and excellent workspace. Whilst it doesn't have the reputation and cachet of the Europa for a functional overnight stay, its much better value for money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This is a lovely Hotel in a great location especially if you are travelling by bus or train as it is only minutes from the main stations. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and have a really nice bathroom with a great bath.
The breakfast was good but we had to wait in line for ages as the hotel was very busy the week-end we stayed there.
The Food and Bar prices were quite expensive in the hotel but there are lots of great restaurants within easy walking distance and the Crown Bar across the road is a must for the original décor and atmosphere,the prices are much cheaper and it is full of local characters.
This is a large luxurious hotel but we found it to be impersonal and lacking in atmosphere, the staff were polite and efficient but not overly friendly.

Room Tip: The room key cards stop working at 11am so be sure to get back to you room in time! Or get it renew...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We would absolutely recommend the Europa to everyone. We had a wonderful stay and were impressed with the hotel's high standards.

Room Tip: we stayed in the 'classic room' and were extemely impressed
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The Europa hotel, world famous for....ahem.. well lets not say that here, maybe Google will help you !!
I stayed in the Europa in December for a city break. I usually stay in the Hilton on the water front but this time I fancied a change,
One of the hotels biggests pluses is the location. This hotel is extreemly easy to find via road coming off the Dublin road and just inside the city centre. This means you dont have to navigate through the cities one way systems to get there. Important to note that you will drive by one of the city's famous Wall Murals stating "Welcome to loyalist Sandy Row", now dont panic its nothing to worry about. The hotel is also easy to access by train with a station directly behind it and how about by air ? Well if I had to hazzard a guess its no more than 15 minutes taxi drive from George Best International Airport.
When you get to the hotel you have a choice of parking. Now the hotel itself doesnt have a car park but there is a multi story directly behind it and you will pass it before you get to the hotel so its convient. I parked here and found it very reasonable. The hotel also offer valet parking if you pull up at the main door. They use another car park and charge £13 per day, again thats not too bad these days for city parking.
Directly facing the hotel you'll find the famous Crown Pub (oldest pub in Belfast) which is well worth a visit for a pint or two. The Grand Opera house is directly beside the hotel. You'll find the city hall mere minutes walk and a little further (again just a few minutes) you'll find Victoira Square where the best shopping is. Sure from there you're at the water front which again just a few more minutes walk and you're at the Odessey Arena and of course you're not far from the Titanic H&W shipyard. So on location this hotel is 5 star.
I found the checkin efficient and was in my room without delay. The room was a large double room nicely decorated and clean. The bathroom was large with a seperate bath and shower. I would consider the room a little above average.
On one of the nights we spent time in the piano bar. This is a nice airy room with window tables if you want to watch the world go by. Now here's where I had my first gripe, albiet a small one. I was in a party of 6 and the 3 ladies wanted to order a cocktail off their cocktail menue. The waiting staff told us that cocktails were "off" as they were too busy. To be honest I've never heard that one before, maybe you have. Now thats how the night went, at random times the cocktails were "off" and other times they were back "on". In a Pub in Ireland is nearly sacrilegious to refuse a customer the drink they want. A small gripe but strange how it stuck in my mind.
We stayed B&B and were due to check out on a Sunday morning. Reception staff told us breakfast was served untill 11am on Sunday. So off we went for breakfast at about 10:30 and halped ourselves to a fairly standard breakfast, no better or worse than most hotels I've stayed in. About 45 minutes later we went back to the room and our electronic keys didnt work. So back down to reception we went and here's my second gripe; the staff said the keys didnt work as checkout time was 11am and it was now 11:15. Now I suppose my problem here is a simple one, if breakfast stops at 11am why on earth would checkout be at exactly the same time? Very unusual and maybe not a big deal but it still was an inconvience.
Now with all that said I truely believe that my title to this review says it all "a few minor niggles but all in all a very good hotel". Would I recommend to a family member or friend ? Sure I would. Would I stay again ? Yes I would. Belfast is a fantastic city, do yourself a favour go and enjoy.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My wife and i stayed here for one night recently.when we were close to hotel i parked on the street and went quiclily to hotel to ask about parking arrangments.. a highly rude receptionist gave no information except that they had a valet parking facility for 16 gbp..found out later a public car park next door.. she was also quite rude. we checked in and upgraded our room. room was very good and clean and comforable. as this was a hastings hotel we decided to check a wether they could offer any advice on other hastings hotels in the north as we were in NI for five days.. again rude abd unhelpful reception offered no information. we checked out after breakfast never to return to this rude place. i think its time to decomission some of the rude elements........ wont be back..

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kalysty
carrolll, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear Kalysty,

Thank you for writing a response on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the accommodation in the Europa Hotel.
I am very disheartened to hear of your comments on rude staff. This is certainly not the normal standard here at Hastings Europa Hotel. In fact we are highly commended on the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff, including our reception staff. In order to get to the bottom of this incident, I would be very grateful if you could email me directly on marketing@eur.hastingshotels.com to give me more details on when you stayed so that I can check with the rotas and see who the receptionist was as attitude such as this will not be tolerated and will be dealt with accordingly. I am very sorry that you experienced this behaviour as this is not our normal standard and cant let this ruin the good reputation of all our staff.

Look forward to hearing from you

Lynsey Carroll
Northern ireland
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Had a wonderful 'one night' stay here over Christmas to see the Christmas Markets etc...... great hotel with traditional values, excellent staff and central to everything....looking forward to doing it again soon........Probably the best nights sleep ever...the Beds are truly brill....

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Used on annual basis for business purposes. Service and staff are second to none. Always very helpful and happy to meet each request. Will continue to use again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business