“Quality hotel in the city - great bed”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Location is very good - right in the middle of the City. Room was small but well equipped. Great shower - torrents of water if that's what you like (I do). The room's highlight was the bed though - really comfortable mattress and fantastic linen. Really top quality - only the best Geese/Ducks gave their lives for the pillow and quilt filling.

Didn't eat there, but the staff have the professional friendliness that you expect from a five-star.

Valet parking is offered - very good but not cheap.

Overall - great hotel in the centre; rooms slightly small but bed makes up for it...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear Nicholasfinlay,

Thank you for your comments from your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with ourselves. Belfast is such a fantastic City! We would love to have you stay again at the Europa and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kind Regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,623)

Reviewed 26 October 2012

I book travel for the Company I work for in the United States. We had three employees travel to Belfast to meet with a client, and the client suggested that they stay at the Europa.

Everything was going smoothly until I called to request an early check in. After several unanswered emails, I called the hotel and requested an early check in. They stated that the only way to do this would be to book for the night before. I reiterated that our employees would be getting at 9:30am after a long day of travel and need their rooms for a nap before meeting with clients. The lady I spoke to on the phone verified that she understood, and that everything would be taken care of.

Monday morning I get into work and discover that the hotel "lost" our employees reservations and had no room for them on Sunday morning when they got in. The employees finally found a room for our employees to stay in, but since they lost their reservations they now made our employees pay with their own credit cards for their rooms, even though I had already sent over a credit card authorization form. If they had lost the reservations, and needed our travel card to re-verify, why didn't they just pull the info from there? One of our employees said that the staff at the front desk was unwilling to help them.

I called the hotel to see what the trouble was, and they told me that because our employees didn't show up on Saturday night, they gave away their rooms. When I asked why I was told that this was the best way to secure an early check in when they have that policy, they said that they didn't know. I did receive an apology email from the hotel manager, and they so graciously agreed to refund us for the night that they refused to give our employees their rooms. When I asked if they hotel staff had offered them an apology for the mistake or if they gave them any kind of incentive to go back, our employees said that the staff never even acknowledged their mistake. Needless to say, I am never booking anyone here again!

This hotel also charges for internet access.

3  Thank eawright1659
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I really enjoyed my stay in the Europa, my family was greeted by welcoming and helpful staff. The rooms were very clean, spacious and comfortable. The piano bar had a great atmosphere and a fantastic pianist setting a very relaxed mood. Breakfast was fantastic, there was a great range of food which all tasted great. We would recommend anyone to stay at this fantastic hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear Matthew D,

Thank you sharing your review on your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you had such a fantastic stay with ourselves. I have passed your great comments on to our staff members. We would love to have you stay again ourselves at the Europa and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

The Hotel is in a brilliant location in the centre of Belfast. The room for the night was £65 which was fine but the breakfast and dinner there were very expensive. So stay here, but don't eat here! there are plenty of great restaurants nearby and a great coffee shop just next door. No swimming pool or spa

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Olybeast

Dear Olybeast,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so pleased you had a wonderful stay with ourselves and received the full service the Hotel has to offer. I have passed on your great feedback to our staff members and we look forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

We just returned from a two night weekend stay at the Europa. Our check in was effortless and we got upgraded to an executive suite. The room was spacious and clean and on the 7th floor had great views of the city. The hotel is located centrally although everywhere in Belfast is pretty central. We ate out in a fab new restaurant called Home on Wellington Place and highly recommend it but be sure to book in advance. (also be sure to try Nick's Warehouse in the Cathedral Quarter for excellent food and dont miss Mourne seafood for an authentic Irish seafood menu). We only had breakfast in the hotel and this was the main drawback. Breakfast at the weekend at least was hectic!. The staff were disorganised and the food slow. We had to wait for porridge, then eggs, and then had to go in search of spoons and coffee etc. The numbers at breakfast didnt seem too large although when you did try to get some food something was always missing so it was a bit disjointed to say the least. The bed and linen etc was excellent and really comfy. The shower was to die for and I wanted to stay in it for hours. The bar late a night is great to return to after a night out so you can have a final night cap with great views onto the busy street below. Overall we enjoyed our stay but please get breakfast sorted out Europa?

Room Tip: Try for an upgrade to an executive suite
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gilljonNIreland

Dear gilljonNIreland,

Thank you taking the time to post your recent review of your stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay with ourselves. My apologies that the service during your breakfast was not efficient, I have taken this up with our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager to ensure we continue to strive to provide the most efficient and highest quality standard. I hope this issue did not affect your overall stay. Belfast is such a fantastic City and we would love to have you return to ourselves. We hope to be seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

I stayed here for a few nights on business in October 2012. The hotel is well located only a few minutes walk from the very centre of the city and with plenty of places to eat and drink nearby (the historic Crown Bar is opposite).

The hotel itself is very nice with clean comfortable rooms. A buffet breakfast is served each morning but it is way above the standard fare you tend to get at some hotels. The food is hot and tastes freshly cooked with plenty on offer, including traditional Irish fare. One of the best (if not the best) buffet breakfast I've experienced so huge credit to those staff involved.

I also left a few items in my room on checking out and the hotel were very happy to recover these for me and make sure they were returned. Top service.

Two very minor criticisms; the hotel is a well known establishment (one of the most bombed hotels in the world etc) in the middle of Belfast and it doesn't serve Guinness?! A very small point perhaps but I did find it odd.

The second; some of the staff were so miserable you would think that they were enduring slave labour. It got to a point where I avoided contact with one gentleman working behind the bar as the depression was starting to wear off on me. The vast majority of those working there were great so this isn't a major point but these (very few) individuals definitely had a negative effect.

All-in-all, a great hotel and would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

Dear rhyd78,

Thank you for posting your comments on your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with ourselves. I appreciate your feedback and we continually strive to improve our service levels. I have taken your comments on board regarding our staff and I can assure you we monitoring their service levels closely. Unfortunately we do not offer Guinness at the Europa Hotel, however we do offer Murphy’s Stout, which is very similar. Belfast is such a fantastic city and we would love to have you stay again with ourselves. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

My wife and myself were lucky enough to win a 2 night stay at the hotel with tickets to see Van Morrison in the hotel ballroom on the Saturday night.
We arrived about 10am and were told our room would be ready in half an hour, which we were delighted by.
We stayed in an executive room and it was very roomy, clean and had everything we needed and much more - including a complimentary duck, which delighted my wife.
The location was perfect - very very central and directly opposite the unique Crown Bar.
Our breakfast in the morning was gorgeous and the locally sourced sausages and bacon were beautiful. We had our breakfast on Sunday in the Piano bar as the resturant was packed, but this wasn't a problem.
The staff were very attentive and gave real personal service, especially Mary on the front desk - nothing was too much trouble.
We would definitely recommend the Europ and would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear 753PaulG,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you had such a fantastic stay with ourselves and received the full service the Europa has to offer. I have passed on your brilliant feedback to our staff members. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit to Belfast and we would love to have you return to the Europa. We hope to be seeing you again soon.