“Disappointing stay”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Just home from what I can only describe as a disappointing night at the Europa. As a Northern Ireland local, staying in a Hastings Hotel, I had expected better! To begin with, check-in required a wait in a queue while two of the three Reception Staff dealt with a group of young people, leaving the third to deal with the elongating queue. The room (308) - a Classic room was nicely furnished, but very small, smaller than I expected - the bathroom was quite tiny too, and would only accommodate two people provided one either stood in the shower or sat on the toilet! If you want a view, don't ask for 308, it's one with a restricted view. They do describe the Classic room as their smallest, but it's even smaller than my bedroom at home, and I would not want to spend more than one night there. The rooms were warm and cosy, but I felt too warm during the night, and I only discovered the radiator behind the curtain the next morning. The bed was very comfortable, but the pillows in my opinion were not fit for purpose and "flopped" in your hand thus giving no support for your head/spine while asleep. There were no extra pillows available in the room. Cooked breakfast the next morning too would have been very nice had it not been for the fact that it had been sitting for some time before we arrived. The soda bread was like a brick, the bacon was tough and dry and some of the sausages were really overdone. Another gentleman complained to the waiter about his and had his breakfast replaced. I didn't complain at the time. The cereals. fresh fruit salad etc. were fine, though it would be nice to get a pot of tea, freshly made, rather than a waiter coming round to pour tea from a communal pot - is this really 4* service? Check-out was another queue-waiting game. I did inform the Receptionist (Linda Deegan) of my disappointment and the points mentioned above and told her that I would not be in a hurry to return. She did apologise to me and asked me to come back at a later date when they would improve things. She gave me her card and asked me to ring her personally, but as this was my first stay in the Europa since it was first built, it is unlikely that I will be back in the near future, I wonder will she remember me/be at the hotel in 10 years when/if I ring? Needless to say I was charged the full amount for the night. So, all in all a disappointing stay - one I will not be in a hurry to repeat, but will try one of the other hotels in the area first.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that does not have a restricted view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Jetlagged54,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts on your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am very disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I am very sorry to hear of the issues that arose during your stay and these are certainly not reflective of our very high standards. These where in no way acceptable and I have raised this with our Head Chef, House Keeping and Reception Managers to ensure this does not happen again. I can assure you we are monitoring their service levels very closely.

Our Hotel Manager has also noted your concerns and addressed them with the team and is investigating the issues that arose during your stay to prevent this happening in the future. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your overall stay with ourselves and we would love to be given the chance for you to stay again with ourselves where I am confident we can improve on your last stay. We hope to be seeing you again in the future.

Kind Regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,623)

Reviewed 14 February 2014

This really is a lovely hotel. The room was clean, well equipped and with nice décor. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and huge! However, my real praise must lie with the staff. I arrived very early (about 4 hours) in the middle of a horrendous storm. I asked if there was anywhere I could hang my coat and leave my luggage. I was intending to sit in the lobby as I really could not go out. The receptionist checked to see if my room was available anyway and when it was not, upgraded me without charge so that I could have somewhere to go. When I reported later that there was some water coming in through the window seal (it really was raining very hard), they offered to swap my room again and when I said that it was not that much of a problem, they sent someone from housekeeping within about 10 minutes to look at it. Breakfast was good and the staff attentive. I was made to feel very welcome and it was a really nice hotel to stay in. Good location too.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors at the front have a lovely view over Belfast
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ros184
Reviewed 13 February 2014

A fantastic weekend spent in the Europa! A Lovely, Classy hotel to stay in! Rooms where Amazing, Beds where made of clouds! Staff where very pleasant and couldn't do enough for you, we were even upgraded to the executive suite at no extra charge! Great live band playing in the bar as well. And to top it all off we had the best breakfast we have ever had!! Can not fault it in the slightest!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I had a one night stay with my wife and six year old child at the beginning of February. The room was excellent, well equiped and spotless as you would expect from a hotel of this standard. The real winner for me, however, was the staff. I cannot rate them highly enough. Their genuine friendliness and helpfulness was exceptional from the door staff, receptionist to the bar staff. A very relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2014

A perfect overnight stay at this City Centre Hotel. Staff very courteous and helpful, excellent room and dining experience. With a choice of live music and bar atmospheres, this Hotel is hard to beat.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We bought the seasonal offer which included 1 night in the standard double room, with breakfast and complementary cocktail for £80 (for 2 people). When we arrived the staff at reception were very friendly and even upgraded us to the superior double room for no extra cost. We were up in the 11th floor, the room was very beautifully decorated, warm and the bed was the biggest i have ever seen! I would definitely recommend the europa superior rooms (and even the standard rooms are just as nice as we stayed in the standard room on our previous visit). The cocktails were cosmopolitans and were lovely- and free with our stay :) We went out for the night and when we got back our room was warm and staff friendly. Bed very comfortable, hot water in the morning for us both and the breakfast area was clean, with a lovely big selection of choices from hot cooked to cereal, to cheese, ham bits as snacks, fruit and juices. I would highly recommend the Europa for anyone staying in belfast. It is next door to the bus station and close to city centre. Thanks Europa! We will be back :)

Room Tip: Superior rooms are lovely and face out the front of the hotel with views over belfast city centre. T...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

good hotel lovly staff rooms are well equipt beds comfortable brekfast choice is good location is very good easy parking we use this hotel offten its good value and notting is a problem for the staff the up stairs bar is very nice

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business