“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Dublin, Ireland
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I booked this hotel for a one night visit to Belfast. It was a special offer that included a cocktail on arrival.

The hotel was quite busy when we arrived - there was a queue to check in but the reception staff weren't exactly pushing themselves to make the process efficient.

We had two rooms, side by side. When we got to the rooms, they were very small with a double bed in each. I had specifically booked twin beds. When I spoke to reception about this they told me that the twin rooms were not available and even if they were they were a higher standard of room and would have cost an extra £20 per room for the night. The attitude of the staff left a lot to be desired.

The size of the room was really what would be considered a single room in most other similar standard hotels. The bathroom was tiny and it had a glass door which was downright dangerous as it could (and did) smack off the bathroom wall several times. The bed was far too small for two people and did not make for a comfortable night's sleep. The room was clean. There was no water provided.

The hotel advertises that there was no free wifi in the rooms and there is a price plan for purchasing wifi. However, we found that the public wifi still worked (we were on the 7th floor) in our rooms.

The hotel was very busy with hen parties and group bookings. There was a constant queue at reception everytime we walked through.

The location of the hotel is really good for shopping & bars/restaurants. There is no parking directly with the hotel. There is a nearby public carpark however the hotel have no affiliation with it (a point which was made quite rudely by hotel staff to a gentleman in the queue in front of me.)
Given the amount of guests that probably use the public car park, it would make sense for the hotel to have some kind of special price with them or at least to know the basic opening times/rates for the parking.

We had a drink in the hotel bar, which was fine. Usual ridiculous hotel prices but a nice atmosphere.

Breakfast was also fine - average selection of food and they use locally sourced produce, which was nice. Again breakfast was really busy but the staff were efficient.

This hotel was fine for a one night stay - I would not have liked to stay in the tiny room for more than one night. It was overpriced for the size and the standard. I dont think I would return here for another visit - there are better options nearby.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
carrolll, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Lynseyg3,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts on your recent stay with ourselves. I am very disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I am very sorry to hear of the issues that arose during your stay.

My apologies we were unable to provide you with a twin room. The room type you had selected was our Classic Room, these are smallest room type which where part of the original building which was built over 40 years again. We do have larger room types available to purchase. I appreciate your comments regarding our reception staff and we take all feedback very seriously to only improve our service at the Europa Hotel. We are currently monitoring their service levels very closely.

We currently do not have a car park on site at the Hotel but do work closely with McCauslands Car Park which is located directly behind the hotel. Belfast is very competitive for car parking and we feel our rates are marks in keeping with these.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your overall stay at the Europa and would love to be given the chance for you to stay again with ourselves where I am confident we can improve on your last stay. We hope to be seeing you again in the future.

Kind Regards.
Suzanne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
County Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night with my wife. Received complimenary cocktails. Room , service and food excellent.No hesitation in recommending. Professional staff from moment of checking in.
We stayed here as a treat - went to a concert and decided to treat ourselves - we live a mere 30 miles away!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank kayakboy48
Dear kayakboy48,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so delighted you had such an enjoyable stay with ourselves and I have passed on your great comments to our staff members. We would love to have you stay again with ourselves at the Europa Hotel and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Co Down
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Have stayed here a few times now. Staff are excellent from the minute you walk through the door till you leave. They could not be more helpful and friendly. The rooms are spacious and very homely. Decent sized bathrooms and great showers. It is great to just sit at the 1st floor windows and watch the "world go by", looking across to the famous Crown bar. There is always a buzz about the place at the weekends, Breakfast is buffet style and sets you up for the day ahead shopping or sight seeing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the back of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Gavin F,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you had such a fantastic stay with ourselves and received the full service the Europa has to offer. I have passed on your fantastic feedback to our staff members. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit to Belfast and we would love to have you return to the Europa. We hope to be seeing you again soon.

newbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

This is a wonderful hotel to stay in. Friendly helpful reception staff an impressive lobby with fire and a relaxed atmosphere. My thanks to Lynsey who helped me with my reservation and made my stay very special.
You are in the very centre of Belfast with The Opera House next door the National Trust's Crown bar across the road with its gas lights and unique ambience.
The hotel's Lobby bar has a superb lunch menu highly recommended. The executive rooms are delightful, large comfortable with superb beds and have all the facilities you would expect from a hotel of this standard.
There are some lovely individual touches with everything geared to make your stay special.
The restaurant is a busy hub and the food and service are first class and breakfast in the morning was just the ticket.
I so enjoyed my stay I have already booked my next visit and if you are staying in Belfast this is the hotel to stay at. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rsnewbury
Dear rsnewbury,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so delighted you had such an enjoyable stay with ourselves and I have passed on your great comments to our staff members. We would love to have you stay again with ourselves at the Europa Hotel again and look forward to seeing you soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Just after staying at the Europa for one night and stayed in room 839. All I can say it was amazing. Clean and really friendly staff. Was attending a formal in another hotel and opted to stay here. Concierge were so helpful and ordered a taxi for us to take us to our formal and had a nice wee chat too. Breakfast was quick and well laid out. Check out was very quick and nicely handled by the staff. Will definitely be back and recommend this hotel to everyone!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Samantha D,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you had such a fantastic stay with ourselves and got given the full service the Europa has to offer. I have passed on your fantastic feedback to our staff and especially our Concierge Team. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit to Belfast and we would love to have you return to the Europa. We hope to be seeing you again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

I'm a regular visited to Belfast on business, but this was my first stay at the Europa. The reason I tend to go back to my usual hotel is that they have a car park, and as a woman traveling alone, that just makes things easier. On this trip, however, I wasn't driving, so decided to stay at the Europa, which was a rare treat compared to my usual budget chain hotel, for approximately the same cost.
The staff were very pleasant, the decor is lovely, and my room was very comfortable. Lots of power points to charge my many devices, good size flat screen tv, and top it all, a lovely view to the street for people watching.
I didn't eat in the hotel as due to the location I had so many restaurants on the doorstep. I will definitely make an effort to come back again, and soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Annbone
Dear Annebone,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I am delighted you had such a fantastic stay with ourselves at the Europa Hotel. I have passed on your fantastic feedback to our staff. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit to Belfast and we would love to have you return to the Europa. We hope to be seeing you again soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

I do love the Europa and have now stayed there many times. The rooms are comfortable, decor excellent and the staff are really nice & helpful. Also location perfect. The only thing that consistently lets it down is the coffee. The real stuff is poor, but the decaff is truly dreadful. Nowadays there really is no excuse for that. Lots of hotels serve coffee you wouldn't get in a greasy spoon in Europe but the Europa's takes you back to Wimpy in the 70s. Please buy a few cafetieres and some ground coffee - even decaff is good these days - then it will be a really fab hotel!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank AnnaF64
Dear AnneF,

Thank you your posting your review of your recent stay at the Europa Hotel. I hope you are well. I am so delighted you enjoyed your visit and received the full service the Europa Hotel has to offer. I passed all of your very kind comments to our staff members and have taken note on your comments regarding our coffee- this is certainly an area we will look in to. We would love to have you return to the Europa again and look forward to seeing you again soon.