“High expectations but average on arrival”

Europa Hotel - Belfast
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
County Galway, Ireland
“High expectations but average on arrival”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've heard so many good things about the Europa Hotel but I can't say I was blown away when I got there. I rang when I arrived in Belfast to enquire about parking but was told in a somewhat rude manner that there wasn't a carpark for the hotel and I'd have to pay for overnight parking....I found that a little bit cheeky especially when you consider the price of a room in the hotel. Once parked in the multi story around the corner (which was £20 by the way) I went to my room which was small and not enough as plush as you'd expect from a hotel like the Europa. However the only redeeming feature was the bed, I slept fairly well there which is unusual enough when on the road as often as I am. I had hoped to eat in the restaurant but we couldn't get a table late enough for go after work. Breakfast was grand, nothing amazing, basic buffet style and very limited cold options, usual fry stuff for hot options but nothing amazing! I'm not sure I'd go back if I'm honest, it wasn't amazing considering the price

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dunnjo, Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Hellie B,

I appreciate you taking he time to provide feedback on your experience at the Europa Hotel.

I am sorry to hear on this occasion that we did not live up to your expectations. I will certainly pass on your comments regarding breakfast to our executive chef.
Unfortunately we do not benefit from our own car park but do offer valet parking to residents, for which the car parking is added to your hotel bill and we bring the car back to the hotel for you on departure, I am sorry this service was not offered to you on the day.

I would love if you would consider staying with us on your next visit and would ask you to contact me directly if you wish to book and I will ensure you are well looked after. Please email me at sales@eur.hastingshotels.com.

Jody

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 June 2014

stayed in europa for 1 night .First time ever to stay in Belfast and we loved the Europa. Staff were wonderful. We wanted to do the 'open -top' bus tour and it was arranged for us in-house. No problem. Our room was clean and comfortable and this hotel is ideally situated. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: if you have a specific request i expect it would be accommodated. .
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 398eileen,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the Europa Hotel.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our team wonderful. he open bus tour is a must when in Belfast, I am glad we were able to assist with arranging this for you.

Please consider staying with us again next time you are in Belfast.

Crystal River, Florida
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I visited for two nights during the recent warm spell, and found no air conditioning nor fans and a warm duvet on the bed. The hotel location is great, and very convenient for shopping and restaurants. However, it is also very close to lively pubs, which makes leaving windows open on a weekend night not conducive to sleep. My suggestion is to provide fans so that windows can be closed to minimize noisy neighbors and replace the duvet with a lighter sheet in warm weather.

Otherwise, the staff and breakfast were great.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the front side of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barbara M
Dear Barbara M

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our staff and breakfast. Our location is superb for exploring the City.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the hear in the rooms, we were experiencing hot weather and I will certainly pass on your comments regarding fans for the rooms.

We hope to welcome you back with us again.

retford
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Loved this place ,normally stay at the Stormont but it was full so Europa it was. Highlight of my trip was meeting Barry McGuigan in the foyer. Absolute legend.
Staff very friendly and could not do enough for me. Love the Stormont but would not complain if I find myself back in the Europa.Only drawback was an extremely rude taxi driver who was swiftly put in his place by the concierge.
Would I stay here again Definitely!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear tikkasizzlerlover,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Europa Hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Our sister Hotel, The Stormont, is a lovely property too. I am pleased we lived up to the excellent service you are used to.

Please do come and stay with us again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This hotel has everything you need, and the location is right downtown, but the general feeling I got was snobby, and I don't really like that, hence the average rating. If you don't mind snobby front desk people, then you might rate this hotel higher.

Check in was slow as they did not have enough front desk people working. I was given the wrong room classification at first, and I had to wait again for a room change. It is not the service I expect from a luxury hotel. I eventually ended up in room 930, an executive room which was spacious but had no view.

The bathroom amenities are very good. They are shampoo (no conditioner), soap, body wash, shower cap, cotton swabs, hair dryer, rubber duckie, robe, slippers, ironing board, iron. The bathtub is very big and the water pressure was terrific. I had one sink and the bathroom would probably be a little small for 2 people. The hair dryer is strangely accessed through the desk drawer in the bedroom, and can't be moved from there. There is plenty of counter space and closet space. The hangers are those kind that are attached to the rod, so if you handwash anything like pants, you can't use those hangers to dry your clothes, so bring your own hangers and clippies like I did, so you can hang wet clothes up over the tub. There is no mini-bar!!

I had room service several times and it was delicious and prompt each time. The TV was fine with lots of channels but I requested a TV channel list and did not receive one. I also requested certain bathroom items, received them, but after housekeeping came, all the requested items were gone and I was back to the usual amenities. There seems to be little communication between staff.

The internet comes up fine, but it is weak and I found it frustrating. The bed and bedding was fine and I slept good. I had breakfast in the restaurant and the selection was fine but the eggs were really runny and the service was slow.

There is an 'express' elevator to the 4-11 floors, but it is not fast. It seems to stop at almost every floor with nobody getting on or off. There is valet parking. The location of this property is excellent for seeing the city. There is a pharmacy immediately next door, and the bus station with a small mall attached is just next door to that. It is very convenient to zip next door and pick up food or sundries.

In general, the reception staff seem to care less about real service. I didn't feel like they really wanted to welcome anyone. In fact, while waiting to check in, I could hear a reception staff person arguing with a guest about something, right at the reception desk. It was embarrassing. On the other hand, the room service staff was friendly, as was housekeeping. I think the service here is hit or miss.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Christmas2010
Dear Christmas2010,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Europa Hotel.

I am sorry to hear you found our front office staff unfriendly, I will certainly address this with the front office manager.
I am pleased to head our housekeeping and room service staff were friendly and you were pleased with the quality of food.

Thank you once again for writing to us. I do hope you will consider saying with us again at the Europa.

Belfast
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I recently supported a couple in organsing their 50th Wedding Anniversary at the Europa Hotel. The staff were amazing, especially Suzanne Wray, Jill, Olivia and Caoimhin who could not do enough to help us with everything from menu choices, room set-up especially as we had many additional items e.e. data projector, balloons, table names, photos, cake boxes - nothing was any trouble. The Event was a massive success and I feel it was due to the above name staff being so professional and friendly at all times, even when there was a small matter with the meal for one or two guests they shone by getting it sorted immediately! Thanks you Suzanne, Jill, Olivia and Caoimhin - you made the day extra special with your special care and attention to all our requests!

Room Tip: If it were possible to ask for the above staff to support your event - I would, they were the best i...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DeirdreMacFadyen
Dear DeirdreMacFadyen,

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback regarding your fiends event.

I am delighted to hear the event was a huge success. I will certainly pass on our feedback to my colleagues who were so helpful to you on the day. They will be pleased to hear they made the day so special and such a success.

Cork
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Loved our stay , had two great nights there , welcome and staff really nice and friendly. Bedroom excellent, very large room and everything spotless. Meals were also excellent. Location for train station and town center were perfect.. We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joan C
Dear Joan C,

Thank you for your lovely review regarding your stay at the Europa Hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us.

Please visit us again soon.