“Wine was a rip off!”

Stormont Hotel
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
“Wine was a rip off!”
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

I do not know why you end your responses with I hope to see you again soon!
My point is there was no choice of wine with the £15 menu and the menu was only made available to us after I had asked for it.
I wasn't staying in the hotel so room service was off no use to me!
I stay frequently at 4 and 5 star hotels in Dublin and don't even pay £7 a glass. Maybe an idea to add some cheaper house wine and reduce the cost of your soft drinks and more people would probably dine more often.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

After having looked at the menu i remembered that they had an offer displayed on the board outside. I then asked the waiter did it apply to a Sunday to be told yes and we were then given the menu. It included a glass of wine but no choice so tough luck if you didnt like Chardonnay.the food was excellent but the drinks a rip off! £2.50 for a small glass of coke and £7 for a glass of wine, will certainly think twice about going back and little wonder there were only 2 other tables taken in the restaurant.
I had also been on a Friday night 2 weeks prior to this and they weren't even serve us a sandwich at the bar infact there was no food available unless you ate in La Scala which stopped serving at 930pm. Very disappointing!

• Stayed October 2013
Norman M, General Manager at Stormont Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am glad you enjoyed your food.
The dine with wine menu does have two courses and a glass of wine included ,this is very keenly priced at £15 per person and does not lend itself to a wide wine selection , we have tried to match the wine with the menu choice to the best of our ability.
Our prices are in keeping with other four star properties.
We do not serve snack food at anytime in the lounge but there is a room service menu available 24 hours a day which serves sandwiches.
The restaurant opens until ten I will investigate why you were told 9.30. Thank you for highlighting this for me.
I hope to see you again soon.
belfast
Reviewed 23 October 2013

On our 5th visit to the Sunday Buffet this year. As always all top class food+service. However the real problem is with the phones. I had to phone 5 times, yes 5 times to get through to reception
Perhaps Norman would care to comment. I phoned twice on Wed but reception + Cocktail Bar
both failed to answer. I asked Carol the switchboard lady "are they really that busy???" She was unable to take my booking. I phoned again twice on Thu but the same problem. Is there anyone really on reception?? I then had a plan to phone much later that night + got straight through to reception. I got booked in on the 5th attempt. Perhaps a job or two is available on reception as it looks like a lot of business will be lost due to lack of staff. Over to you Norman!!

Room Tip: Be prepared to make several phone calls to raise anyone at reception
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank youngmanpeter
Thank you for posting the review.
I am glad you enjoyed the sunday buffet.
sorry you had trouble booking and thank you for highlighting this we will have a look at our booking system and our reception staffing levels.
Make sure you say hello when you are here again.
Warrnambool
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The Stormont is a nice, modern hotel. Compact rooms, comfy beds, rain shower in bathroom. Double glazed windows and you can't open windows because of the road noise. Big twin beds, again. Non air conditioned rooms, no fridge but in- room safe.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the review .
Great to get your feedback.
Hope to see you again soon.
Leeds
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I arrived and the staff, noticing I was disabled (I walk with sticks) changed the room I had been allocated to one much nearer for me but of the same standard. The room was magnificent. A HUGE bed which could have slept 6 if necessary (albeit if very close friends!) :-) lots of little "extra touches" the nicest being the free rubber duck! The only downside was that the shower itself whilst excellent was simply too hot and could not be turned down it seemed. I loved the shower but could not stay in long enough as I felt scalded. Breakfast was excellent and of a standard expected at this level of hotel. I feel very happy to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good comfortable stay at a 4 star level. Shame they have no on site pool or spa facilities, although these are available for free locally.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Great review thanks glad we could meet your needs.
Look forward to seeing you again.
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We treated ourselves to Afternoon Tea at the Stormont for a family birthday and were not disappointed
Our food arrived on a cake stand which I initially thought looked a bit sparse until I realised that each person had their own cake stand! Our table was very full ! The sandwiches were dainty, lots of jam and cream for the scones and delicious pastries. We had lots of tea and refills appeared quickly .Staff were attentive and pleasant. Our tea was served in the large spacious lounge in front of reception which suited us fine. We were the only diners so our toddler had some space to move around and explore . We were so relaxed we stayed for hours and almost managed to finish all our lovely food ! Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Happy you enjoyed the afternoon tea experience, maybe you will come back and try the xmas one its very good also.
Rosyth, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed here for a night on a recent business trip. Rooms are lovely and big and shower was excellent. Very clean with hairdryer and Iron and Ironing board in the room. Bar prices a bit on the dear side but it is a 4 star hotel after all.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Great review thanks for taking the time to write it.
Look forward to seeing you again.