“Long weekend wedding stay”
Review of Stormont Hotel

Stormont Hotel
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Derby
“Long weekend wedding stay”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the Stormont for a long weekend for a family wedding. First impressions were great but there were a couple of small things that brought it down. We pulled up in the car and were met by a gentleman who took our bags and showed us to reception. The reception staff are amazing and couldn't be more helpful. We had several different things we'd asked for and everything was catered for with a smile. We were a little early to check in and our room wasn't ready so we went to the restaurant for lunch and all was fantastic. The room was nice but we had paid for a executive room so slightly bigger than the rest. The bed was so comfortable and the bedding amazing. On first glance the shower also looked superb but turned out it was just average and depending on the time of day not always hot! The rooms however were hot! Very! No air con and windows only opening an inch didn't let any air in. On the Friday we ate dinner in the restaurant and the service was were lacking! They didn't seem happy we hadn't booked. After ordering we were then left. No further drinks were offered or anything. We had to call someone over to get a bottle of wine and then again to get the bill. After receiving the bill we put our card on the table as normal but nothing. We waited and still nothing. My Daughter and I left as we were meeting some other people and my Husband sat and waited. We passed three waitresses all chatting and commented he was waiting to pay. One of the waitresses walked up to my Husband and told him "you know you can pay on your way out" she then carried on walking, walked past him and served him at the till. (The day before we paid at the table by card machine!). The wifi wasn't free which I find incredible in this day and age when you can get it on a bus! The wedding itself was amazing and I think the planner and staff did a fantastic job. Two downsides were the heat! The hotel is so hot the groomsmen were soaked and it was uncomfortable, and with a 2.5 hour break think teas and coffees could of been put on. We had a coffee but had to pay £4.00 per small cup of coffee! But saying that the staff were friendly and happily served us till 6am! I think it's a lovely hotel but a little over priced and disappointing. I will say though a massive thank you to the reception staff who are just brilliant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alicha4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Polish first
Wishaw, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

High this is not about the hotel but rather travel to NI but I could not find travel on your website. I started travelling to NI in January 2012 by plane but changed to Stenna Line because it is so relaxing, great chicken dinner and I can work on my lap top on the way over from Cairnryan and sleep after eating on the way back. The staff and service are brill and I can pick up bargains for my wife in their shop. It is the only way to travel. The Stormont is also first class which I have reviewed before but I could not find transport on your website. I apoligise for that if it is their but if it is not then maybe it should be considered in relation to good and bad service on buses, trains, boats and planes. If you do have transport on your website then let me know before publishing this and I will submit it again using the correct channel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The rooms were comfy, and the common area was cozy with fireplace. I was shocked that they charged $10 for in-room Wifi. In this day and age? Really?? Dinner was tasty, but the wait staff disappeared after our entrees were served. There was a Wedding Party at the same time, and we were completely without any servers for at least 30 minutes. I hope this is the exception rather than the rule.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank sallysue1279
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

An excellent location for a long weekend with friends. Easy access by taxi into the City or Ballyhackamore for restaurants.

The hotel is very nicely decorated and fitted out. The bed in our room was enormous and very comfortable. The walk-in shower was the best I have had in a hotel. Bar facilities were very good and there were ample comfy chairs to sit and chat to friends.
The one thing that lets the hotel down is the breakfast which was disappointingly average at best. There was a poor buffet. No fruit option except for prunes. The cold meat option would be extremely disappointing if this is your preference. I would recommend that visitors take the opportunity to have breakfast in the city if they can, as there are plenty of good quality eating places costing a lot less than the £18 charged here.
If the breakfast had been up to scratch this hotel would have scored 5★ in my review.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alison D
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Dear Sir Hastings,

Drop by the Stormont. You will see a hotel that advertises rooms as 'luxurious.' Surely as a 'Sir' you know what luxurious is. The Stormont is not. Tacky rooms, beat-up furniture. Lobby from the 70s. The Stormont, for all intent and purpose is a MOTEL, not a hotel. Sad rooms, devoid of character...but at least they were clean. (Sir Hastings, are you spending all your considerable fortune on the Culloden [see me review]??)

The staff of this motel is great. Friendly, helpful. It is the ONLY reason I gave it two stars.

I must say one more thing: The Breakfast. Oh God. Okay, I know powdered eggs is a UK standard. And maybe these powdered eggs come from green, sustainable, Northern Ireland farms where they are sang folk songs each evening...but the powdered eggs you serve at the Stormont are literally sunk in water. The. Most. Disgusting. Eggs. Ever.

Seriously. Bar none. I travel a lot folks. The Stormont has the most disgusting eggs ever.

Dear Sir Hastings,
You need to eat your Stormont breakfast every day until you change it.

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor. I can't imagine ANY of these are beyond MOTEL quality.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DAVID C
Norman M, General Manager at Stormont Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
I am sorry you are aggrieved with your visit. I would like to work with you to ensure you are happy with the out come.
My email address is gm@stor.hastingshotels.com I would appreciate you emailing me directly to discuss.
Once again please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt so negatively about your stay as this is not the type of reviews we like to receive.
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I had my wedding in The Stormont and I cannot recommend the hotel enough! Right from the off Norman was fantastic with his knowledge and recommendations absolutely first class! We had a lot of special requests and last minute changes but nothing was an issue. The rooms where superb and although the hotel was busy with various events going on - all the staff where extremely helpful and always willing to go that extra mile. We ate in the hotel (including the wedding and Sunday lunch) for about 5 days in a row and it was impossible to find a fault in either the breakfast or the dinner!

I have worked in hotels for a long time and know the scene very well but The Stormont is a shining light! The wedding day ran like a dream and its safe to say that all the guests we raving about the food, drink and service. Even the next next in most of their hungover states they demolished the Sunday buffet!

5 Stars isn't high enough recommendation for The Stormont and people like Norman, Julie and Michael and all the staff make this hotel worth visiting!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for the great review
So glad you enjoyed your day
Look forward to seeing you again on your anniversary !
I will pass on you comments to the team
Best wishes for the future
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Did not stay but was at charity ball. Great staff & food served warm & promptly. Very attentive & friendly staff. Lovely bread rolls & trio dessert! Parking is no problem. Can't say much more than that.

Room Tip: N/a. Did not stay but was at charity ball- food & service excellent.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Great review thanks
Our charity events are always a great success
Next time you need to stay over !