“OK but sometimes service let them down”
Review of Stormont Hotel

Stormont Hotel
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 24 October 2008

Stayed here for two nights in September. On arrival 3.30 pm problem with room. Clearly heard one receptionist to another that our room had been already allocated! Was asked did I still want a twin! Yes, I did as I was travelling with my Mum.

I was told very politely and with apologises that room would be ready in 15 minutes and receptionist would get on to housekeeping. Have complimentary tea and biscuits if we wished. Still waiting at 4.30 checked with receptionist at least twice she was trying to sort out problem, during this hour arrival of coach bus, well porters running from all airts and parts of hotel to empty bus!!!! suitcases filled reception, mine were still in hired car, finally go and get suitcases it is 4.50 pm no offer to get suitcases for me, trying to get suitcases and elderly Mum walking with stick in lift........just carry on guest as you were, while we sort out coach party suitcases which will be delivered to their rooms, one of which I am sure was originally ours. They did not have to wait a hour as there was a very pushy woman marching about reception making sure that things were going fine much to the detriment of us.

This was no fault of "on duty" receptionist she kept apologising for our situation.

First night dinner - the poor man in charge of restaurant seemed to be showing people to table, taking orders for drinks and food, plus serving food, while again coach party were making a racket and had a good few waitress to help them. God forbid that a party of US0fA people should have to wait for their dinner. Second night dinner was better he had help and was not running around like a headless chicken.

Room clean and all amenities in it, food, good and plenty at breakfast and dinner. Staff at breakfast friendly and helpful as was the main person at dinner and receptionist.

First impressions count and being pushed aside and forgotten about was not very good, an offer to get our bags and be delivered to our room surely was the minimum I would have expected from this 4star hotel.

From our experience the US dollar is king here.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Scottish43
Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed 19 September 2008

Stayed at this hotel on business in September, ample car parking, good friendly reception with big, clean comfortable rooms. The hotel has obviously been renovated recently.

One problem is that there is nothing much nearby, its a trip in the car to find restaurants or somewhere to buy a snack for your room. You are also a 10 minute drive from Belfast itself so a car is a must. However as a business hotel its highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2008

Had a 3 night stay at the hotel, overall feel underwhelmed by the experience.

I second many of the comments made by previous contributors regarding shoddy service, intermittent hot water in the shower, early morning fire alarm and a hotel that is addressing the requirements of coach parties before other guests. Our room being over reception, we had a late night arrival with the coach driver leaving the engine running while passengers and their luggage noisily disembarked. The cigarette smoke from the out door smokers area prevented us leaving our windows open due to noise and smoke. We also encountered very noisy guests running and shouting along the corridor each of the nights we stayed there.

Although the hotel were unable to provide any pastry or scones to accompany afternoon coffee, and all coffee seems to be by the cup rather than the pot, we did on one evening dine in the La Scala bistro (Shiraz restaurant being closed each evening!) and had a very good meal. The food was good e.g. 3 steaks cooked to individual requirements. However, service was polite, but slow.

So, in all I would not recommend this as a good example of a 4* hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Slats1
Reviewed 25 August 2008

This hotel is never 4 star ( there prices are 6 star), they try and rip you off with there bar and food prices.
how can anyone charge £16 for a cooked breakfast ?
i stayed in the new wing and the room was ok , bit small though, and the shower was a waste time as the water only trickles out.
They also charged 4 items to my bill that we did not get and the taxi driver told us that they always do it and he has heard nothing but complaints from people staying there.
The duty manager was very unhelpful and aggressive and he wast most unhelpful and did not want know about our problems

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank graeme11
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Stayed in Stormont hotel in June2008 with my sister we were attending a sporting event and only stayed 1 night, it was enough, on arrival we were greeted by lovley friendly receptionist , room was clean but dreary an extra foldup bed was left in the room and this made the room quite small. we had dinner in restaurant (the Bistro) restaurant was not open that nighteven though hotel was busy as President Bush was visiting Stormont that day.We found the Bistro very cold and not at all inviting, my sister ordered a ceasar salad for starters it was disgusting slimey it must have been in a fridge a couple of days, manager apologised, had steak for main it was over cooked, manager offered us a dessert, we had a pie between us the base of the pie was like leather totally inedible.Next morning went down to breakfast , supervisor in restaurant was rude and unhelpful,we waited 10 mins to be seated, a lot of the tables had been cleared but not wiped down food debris on all of them not a nice way to start the day, cutlery dirty and cups cracked ,that was after we had complained.Would I go back to this hotel definitely not.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2008

Business trip, several nights. I have stayed here several times before, but it is not my preferred hotel in Belfast. Executive room was large and comfortable, but the bathroom was very small for this standard (and cost) of room – and not acceptable (despite the very welcome plastic ducks for the grandchildren!).

There is a need for housekeeping to be more aware that guests may be staying for several nights. Every day I had to resist early knocks on the door by housekeeping. One morning the fire alarm went off at 6.15am.

My main complaint about my latest stay is the price and quality of breakfast (£16), and Guinness (£3.25 per pint). On the first morning at 8.00am, I went for breakfast (all self-service), and the dining room was mobbed with coach party customers. The staff were stressed, and spent a good deal of time arguing (distinctly audibly) with each other, blocking passage ways – rather than clearing tables and helping customers. This was very apparent (and more like McDonalds), and very poor. This was far from a 4–star business hotel environment.

Worse, was that it was clear (having stayed here before) that the quality of the breakfast ingredients had been reduced to mirror the economics of the coach party, to the detriment of business customers. Although committed to my stay, I avoided all further Stormont hotel breakfasts. I recommend the café at Sainsbury’s near the airport as an alternative, at 20% of the cost. In contrast, I had two evening meals at the hotel during my stay, and these were both very good (one was excellent).

Finally, very good mobile phone reception – no need to use expensive (BT Openzone) hotel broadband. ‘Dongles’ work fine. In conclusion, I think management needs to think harder about how to coordinate the expectations of 4–star business customers against coach parties. For the former, breakfast is a shambles and totally extortionate in relation to the quality of food. Breakfast at Sainsbury’s is better quality and value.

I would add that I am an admirer of the Hastings hotel group, and my several stays at the Belfast Europa have all been very positive. But, there is an issue to be resolved about the expectations of 4–star business customers versus the economics of coach parties at the Stormont. I will only stay here again if (as on this occasion) it is unavoidable due to the lack of short notice Belfast 4–star accommodations with car parking.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2008

Stayed at the Stormont for 2 nights on business. A deal meant that it was excellent value for money, coming in at £10 less than the Travelodge etc. in the city.

Good points:
The room was large and clean, with a comfortable bed. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The lobby is very good for informal meetings.

The downsides:
The room i stayed in was next to the cleaner's closet, which meant that I was awoken by clanging and banging at 6:30am. Following that, the cleaners then attempted to get into the room at 8am on the day of my departure, when check out is not until 11am. The Scala Bistro was reasonable quality, but both it and the room service menu is very expensive - £19 for a sandwich, bowl of chips and a small fruit salad, anyone? Finally, the location is a bit too far out of town to be convenient for sight-seeing.

The verdict;
Perfectly acceptable, but eat and drink elsewhere!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business