“Lovely hotel, but let down by the breakfast”
Review of Stormont Hotel

Stormont Hotel
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 24 June 2014

One night business stay. Lovely hotel room with all the facilities you expect from a good quality hotel. Bed was very comfortable and the shower was spacious. Very surprised that the cost was only about £80 per night (plus £10 pre-ordered breafast or £18 on the day).

What was disappointing was the breakfast. Whilst it was reasonable quality, I thought the choice was a little limited for such a good quality hotel. However it was the service that surprised me most. Plates and bowls were not cleared as you finished eating from them, meaning you were stacking dirty crockery on you own table. Also the clearing of many empty tables was not particularly evident. This was at 8.15 - 8.45 am when the restaurant was not particularly busy. Staff were also particularly slow in offering tea/coffee and had to be approached directly. I have been told by those in the business that the speed of clearing dirty crockery is a visible measure of the quality of service.

Not the hotel's fault I know, but I also had other guests standing outside my room talking from 11.45 pm to 12.15 am until I finally got up and asked them to move. Which they did 5 minutes later!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David_B-Billericay
Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We had a warm welcome, lovely room and great food. The service was fantastic and everyone was always more than happy to help. The staff at reception were particularly friendly. The situation of the place was a little out of town, but as we had a hired car this was not a problem. We ate at the hotel restaurant and had lovely food, again with good service. I would definitely stay again and recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank H0lid4y
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed for business. Lobby area perfect for meeting colleagues. Rooms excellent, food good. Special mention for breakfast which is impressive - I loved the local touches such as the porridge which was excellent. Whilst I was here I attended a Charity Ball at the hotel and the organisation and food was brilliant.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Really comfortable executive room with excellent facilities. Good supper and excellent service in bistro though the wonderful organic Glenarm salmon overwhelmed by the over cooked and soggy potato cake.

Then to breakfast served by anonymous staff. Wish I was back in Premier Inn where the buffet is explained to you rather than being left unattended at your table. Now I was looking forward to the Cornbrack Bee Pork Sausages with a hint of heather honey. Sorry over-chopped pork sausage giving a tasteless end result comparable with Crosse and Blackwell Sausages and Beans. And as for the black and white pudding...missing in action!

So a hotel that promised much and lived up to it in its comfort, but the service and breakfast and delivery of the menu promise let it down.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alistair G
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the Stormont for a long weekend for a family wedding. First impressions were great but there were a couple of small things that brought it down. We pulled up in the car and were met by a gentleman who took our bags and showed us to reception. The reception staff are amazing and couldn't be more helpful. We had several different things we'd asked for and everything was catered for with a smile. We were a little early to check in and our room wasn't ready so we went to the restaurant for lunch and all was fantastic. The room was nice but we had paid for a executive room so slightly bigger than the rest. The bed was so comfortable and the bedding amazing. On first glance the shower also looked superb but turned out it was just average and depending on the time of day not always hot! The rooms however were hot! Very! No air con and windows only opening an inch didn't let any air in. On the Friday we ate dinner in the restaurant and the service was were lacking! They didn't seem happy we hadn't booked. After ordering we were then left. No further drinks were offered or anything. We had to call someone over to get a bottle of wine and then again to get the bill. After receiving the bill we put our card on the table as normal but nothing. We waited and still nothing. My Daughter and I left as we were meeting some other people and my Husband sat and waited. We passed three waitresses all chatting and commented he was waiting to pay. One of the waitresses walked up to my Husband and told him "you know you can pay on your way out" she then carried on walking, walked past him and served him at the till. (The day before we paid at the table by card machine!). The wifi wasn't free which I find incredible in this day and age when you can get it on a bus! The wedding itself was amazing and I think the planner and staff did a fantastic job. Two downsides were the heat! The hotel is so hot the groomsmen were soaked and it was uncomfortable, and with a 2.5 hour break think teas and coffees could of been put on. We had a coffee but had to pay £4.00 per small cup of coffee! But saying that the staff were friendly and happily served us till 6am! I think it's a lovely hotel but a little over priced and disappointing. I will say though a massive thank you to the reception staff who are just brilliant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alicha4
Reviewed 31 May 2014

High this is not about the hotel but rather travel to NI but I could not find travel on your website. I started travelling to NI in January 2012 by plane but changed to Stenna Line because it is so relaxing, great chicken dinner and I can work on my lap top on the way over from Cairnryan and sleep after eating on the way back. The staff and service are brill and I can pick up bargains for my wife in their shop. It is the only way to travel. The Stormont is also first class which I have reviewed before but I could not find transport on your website. I apoligise for that if it is their but if it is not then maybe it should be considered in relation to good and bad service on buses, trains, boats and planes. If you do have transport on your website then let me know before publishing this and I will submit it again using the correct channel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The rooms were comfy, and the common area was cozy with fireplace. I was shocked that they charged $10 for in-room Wifi. In this day and age? Really?? Dinner was tasty, but the wait staff disappeared after our entrees were served. There was a Wedding Party at the same time, and we were completely without any servers for at least 30 minutes. I hope this is the exception rather than the rule.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo