Stormont Hotel
Agoda.com
US$98
PremierInn.com
1,170 results
All reviewsla scala bistrosunday buffetparliament buildinghastings hotelsporridgerubber ducknice hotelthe general managerexecutive roomcity centrebusiness tripafternoon teasconesrestaurant staffnorthern irelandwould highly recommend this hoteltop class
Reviewed 10 May 2009

As a four star Hastings hotel virtually opposite the Northern Ireland assembly we expected more from this hotel. We booked this hotel for our wedding night - what a mistake. Our room was a cupboard - tiny! It felt like we were staying in the staff quarters and it was a complete hike through umpteen doors. The staff could have been friendlier, though they certainly weren't the worst. If you want somewhere to put your head down for the night on business, this probably would do. For anything else, go to another hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JTATravellers
clareBelfast, general manager at Stormont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write a review as all feedback plays a very important part in the successful running of the Stormont Hotel As you say the Stormont has a superb location opposite Stormont Parliament Buildings with it's surrounding parklands. I and my team were most disappointed to find that your stay was not what you expected ,as we take a great pride in the standards we aspire to and attain in our bedrooms. Over the last three years we have refurbished 77 bedrooms with new bathrooms ,furniture and lighting,27 of these have been done since your stay in June. We do have a friendly staff and i am sure if we had known it was your wedding night an upgrade to a superior room would have been arranged. If you wish to speak to me directly please do not hesitate to do so.
Kind regards
Gerry Carty

Reviewed 8 February 2009

I stayed at the Stormont as I had a meeting in the castle the following morning. It is a spotlessly clean and comfortable hotel and the staff were really friendly. I paticularly liked the room which had everything from an iron to tea making facilities and a very modern bathroom with a large shower (which had only luke warm water however...). The hotels basement restraunt was very good although 8 pounds 50 for a glass of wine was a little steep. Breakfast was in a bright airy and comfortable room, the food was fine, and the whole orientation of the hotel facing away from the busy road added to the ambience. I recommend this hotel if you have business in this area of the city. There are equally priced good hotels in the city centre as the Stormont is a little bit outside Belfast.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank drdryan
Reviewed 18 December 2008

I have stayed at the Stormont on at least 20 occasions over the last year with a duration of 1 to 3 nights. Given this depth of experience and reading the other reviews I'd like to offer the following;

Most rooms are of a very high standard of decor and are quite spacious. A few are begining to show the need for renovation. Housekeeping is excellent and I have never had cause to complain about the level of cleanliness. The hotel does have a few "shoeboxes". If you are unhappy about the size of your room then I'd suggest talking to reception. Whilst we're on the subject the staff are uniformly friendly and helpful.

Only once have I experienced the fire alarm going off in the early hours of the morning.

I have never had a problem with the pressure or temperature of the water in the shower.

I fly in but if you're driving then the hotel has a huge and free carpark.

Most of the time the hotel is a tranquil and quiet place but occasionally functions, such as weddings, do have guests who get a little noisy.

The prices are a little on the high side and the £5 "tray charge" for room service is annoying. Like many business travellers I prefer to eat in my room where I can slob out and read or watch TV whilst eating. I cannot see how the £5 charge can be justified for either the delivery or the pickup.

The gym has a limited amount of machinery and weights which do not seem to be maintained that well. However, as most of the guests appear to be of a "more mature" age the gym is generally quiet allowing one to exercise without interuption.

Newspaper delivery can be a bit hit and miss with the papers often not arriving until later in the morning. This probably won't be an issue for the leisure traveller, but for those travelling on business who tend to be up and away early it can be an irritation. Personally if I don't get to start the crossword over breakfast it is a bad start to the day. BTW breakfast is invariably excellent with a good choice of fruit, cereal and cooked items. Try the porridge with whiskey - that'll set you up for the day!

I can see how location can be an issue for some people. If you want restaurants and bars in easy reach this is not the hotel for you. However I would point out that the taxi fare into central Belfast is only about £10.

Finally, as of this week, this is no longer a hotel which welcomes the smoker, which is a great shame. I'm having another go at quiting the evil weed as from the New Year but if this wasn't the case, or if I lapse, then I'll no longer be staying at the Stormont. I cannot understand how with the number of rooms in this hotel, a few could not be retained as smoking rooms. There is no legal requirement for the hotel to get rid of these rooms but for some reason they have chosen to do so. I hope I'll no longer be smoking in the New Year but I will still defend the freedom of choice to do so and I think by doing away with these rooms the hotel is putting its own needs above that of its customers. This is a shame when the staff usually try to go the extra mile to please guests.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank raybancat
Reviewed 24 October 2008

Stayed here for two nights in September. On arrival 3.30 pm problem with room. Clearly heard one receptionist to another that our room had been already allocated! Was asked did I still want a twin! Yes, I did as I was travelling with my Mum.

I was told very politely and with apologises that room would be ready in 15 minutes and receptionist would get on to housekeeping. Have complimentary tea and biscuits if we wished. Still waiting at 4.30 checked with receptionist at least twice she was trying to sort out problem, during this hour arrival of coach bus, well porters running from all airts and parts of hotel to empty bus!!!! suitcases filled reception, mine were still in hired car, finally go and get suitcases it is 4.50 pm no offer to get suitcases for me, trying to get suitcases and elderly Mum walking with stick in lift........just carry on guest as you were, while we sort out coach party suitcases which will be delivered to their rooms, one of which I am sure was originally ours. They did not have to wait a hour as there was a very pushy woman marching about reception making sure that things were going fine much to the detriment of us.

This was no fault of "on duty" receptionist she kept apologising for our situation.

First night dinner - the poor man in charge of restaurant seemed to be showing people to table, taking orders for drinks and food, plus serving food, while again coach party were making a racket and had a good few waitress to help them. God forbid that a party of US0fA people should have to wait for their dinner. Second night dinner was better he had help and was not running around like a headless chicken.

Room clean and all amenities in it, food, good and plenty at breakfast and dinner. Staff at breakfast friendly and helpful as was the main person at dinner and receptionist.

First impressions count and being pushed aside and forgotten about was not very good, an offer to get our bags and be delivered to our room surely was the minimum I would have expected from this 4star hotel.

From our experience the US dollar is king here.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Scottish43
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Stayed at this hotel on business in September, ample car parking, good friendly reception with big, clean comfortable rooms. The hotel has obviously been renovated recently.

One problem is that there is nothing much nearby, its a trip in the car to find restaurants or somewhere to buy a snack for your room. You are also a 10 minute drive from Belfast itself so a car is a must. However as a business hotel its highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)