“Nice hotel but poor service”

Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Northern Ireland
“Nice hotel but poor service”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My wife, daughter and I stayed for a Sunday night. We've stayed (both hotel and appartments) quite a few times over the past 10 years or so - its usually our first thought when in Belfast. We had booked for dinner in the restaurant which was confirmed at check-in (which was fast and painless). Went for a drink in the bar first. I asked a waiter from the restaurant if we could see some menus and he said he would bring some. He didn't. After a good wait I asked a different waiter who was walking through the lobby. After another long wait menus arrived. No-one came to take our order so eventually we took our drinks into the restaurant ourselves and were seated quickly. There seemed to be a lot of staff around and our order was taken. Quite a long wait for starters but when it came it was good. No-one asked if our 10-year old daughter would like her mains with our starters (surely standard practice nowadays) so she had to sit reading while we ate. Asked for more drinks which was fine - although a cider we were informed had to come from the other bar as there was none in the restaurant bar. No problem - but it was a very long wait.

Then the funny bit - as we were waiting for mains to arrive one of the waitresses asked if we would like to see the dessert menu! Our mains did arrive eventually, but had to ask for the vegetables. And our daughter was served last! She wanted vinegar which we asked for and were reached a bottle which was empty. On the next pass of the waiter I asked for another and yes, you've guessed it, was given another empty bottle... Eventually they sorted it.

Mains were good, as were desserts, albeit it on the small side in this fixed price menu (£17).

Overnight stay was uneventful - good sized room, no issues. In the morning got a knock on the door at 11 and a rather serious housekeeper person (foreign accent) wanted to know when we were leaving as 'she needed the room now'. OK, I replied, we'll be a few minutes yet. She wasn't impressed, staying put and asking 'Well when? I don't want to have to come back and knock knock again'. Not a smile, not friendly at all. She reminded us that check-out was 11 - it was just gone 11 by my watch. I was tempted to throw the door open and let her in while we threw our stuff together. Her attitude was unacceptable.

Left very soon after - couldn't wait to get out to be honest.

Positives: good location, good decor/furnishings.
Negatives: poor service, attitude of housekeeper.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Aweegem, Manager at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Hi MetalMikey,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Our main objective is to provide a high standard of quality and service, and we do apologise that on this occasion we failed to do this. Please be assured that your feedback is much valued by us as we endeavour to improve standards and meet our guest’s needs. Please feel free to contact me to discuss further on operations@malonelodgehotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 28 February 2014

On arrival were very happy with the welcome/reception. Then the room was excellent with a
view to the street. Three course dinner for £17 was good value.
Without our own transport, the location suited us perfectly. The Hopon/Hopoff bus passes the door. Will be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Aweegem, Manager at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hi Coffeey2014,

Thank you for the feedback you have provided. All the team here at the Malone Lodge Hotel aim to provide an exceptional experience to all our guests and I am glad that you felt that we have done so on this occasion, we cannot wait to see you back with us soon!
Dumfries
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is an unacceptably noisy hotel. Income from drunken functions clearly means more to them than repeat custom from corporate clients looking for a good night's sleep on a Thursday night.

Right now I'm awake listening to shouting and screaming in the street and in reception, clearly audible from all rooms at the front of the hotel. Absolute disgrace. If you're a business traveller, stay elsewhere. I know this isn't a quiet area of Belfast but when the street noise is coming from your own hotel and reception inform you it will continue until 1am, it's incredibly disappointing.

The carpet in room 305 is covered in black marks which look like cigarette burns and some of these rooms clearly haven't seen any of the much-trumpeted renovation work.

They're obviously trying, but without the basics (clean, relative quiet) it doesn't matter.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Sunshineinyourlife
Aweegem, Manager at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Sunshineinyourlife

I would like to apoloize for you disturbance during your stay with us. After speaking with you this morning, I have also spoken with our General Manager, may I ask you at you earliest convenience to call me so that I can further discuss this matter with you.

Kind Regards

Richard Taylor
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed here recently during a trip to Belfast. Location is good, close to University district and only £6 or so to city centre by taxi.

Rooms are spacious and recently renovated although some of the fixtures and fittings were loose or poorly fitted. Our room unfortunately had a frosted out window and thus no view - this was disappointing as it made the room feel dark and enclosed.

The WiFi internet access in the hotel was of a poor quality in the room, it requires an unnecessarily complex registration and once connected is excruciatingly slow.

Did not dine in the hotel so cannot comment on food quality.

Overall a pleasant stay and would recommend to others.

Hi John_U1,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Malone Loge Hotel and that you would recommend our hotel to others. We aim to provide an exceptional experience to all our guests and will be sure to work on the valuable feedback you have provided in your review. We hope to see you again soon.
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 2 nights in this lovely hotel. First impression, luxurious, was maintained throughout our stay. Rooms were beautifil, shower amazing, all staff were friendly and very helpful. Breakfast delicious. Location ideal for visiting the city, only £6 for a taxi into the city centre.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hi sc00tb00t,

Thank you for taking the time to write about how lovely a stay you had with us here in the Malone Lodge Hotel. I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all the team. We aim to provide excellent customer service to every guest and are always looking for feedback to enable us to be the best at what we do.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Spent 1 night at the Malone Lodge during business trip to Belfast. Upon arriving at the hotel which appeared to be tucked away, my colleague commented how busy the carp park was, and we parked in the not so easy to access underground carpark. There are pubs and restuarants within a very short walk.

When checking in it became clear, as there was a wedding function on at the hotel. With rooms being booked up I was given an upgrade to an apartment, which was just across the road, with keycard entry to the main, and subsequent doors before reaching the room. I as shown all the way to my room which was handy as my keycard didn’t actually work on the room door. I was let in, left the spare key so the apartment had power, and within 5 minutes the friendly man was back with a working key, tested it, and handed it to me – great service.

The apartment was very nicely furnished, and spacious enough to spend a good few days in, with washing facilities, cooker, lounge, and plenty of cupboard space – well worth considering if spending more than a couple of days in Belfast. The bedroom was especially large, with large wall mounted flatscreen TV, and very comfortable bed.

The bathroom was great, with a whirlpool bath and huge walk in shower, shame it was just 1 night I was staying!

Breakfast was back in the main hotel the next morning, with juices, cereals, and cooked options.

I can’t really comment on the value for money as my opinion is slightly skewed with enjoying an upgrade.

Room Tip: If you're lucky you may get an apartment for the price of a room!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hi Meloquin,

I am really happy to hear that you have enjoyed not only our Hotel but the level of customer service we aim to provide to all our guests. We here at the Malone Lodge Hotel and Apartment aim to provide exceptional experiences to all our guests and I am glad to see that you have enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we will see you again soon for a longer stay the next time.
Galway Ireland
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We bought a deal on the basis of good reviews. Located about 20 mins walk from the city centre with a bus stop nearby it was perfect for our two day stay in Belfast. Staff were friendly, professional and helpful. Bar service was the only issue after 11pm when the barman was absent and made no apology for the wait. Did not dine in the hotel. Would return and recommend.

1 Thank MarynPat
Aweegem, Manager at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Hi MarynPat,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a lovely review. I am glad that you chose to stay with the Malone Lodge Hotel and that you found previous traveller review helpful in making your choice. I will be sure to let all the team know that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back again sometime soon in the future.