“Extremely disappointed and quite affronted”

Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Banbridge, United Kingdom
“Extremely disappointed and quite affronted”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here last saturday night with my wife. First of all when we arrived, we thought what a lovely hotel - then we were shown the apartments.... Which were across the road and not actually on the hotel grounds. We were shown our room then a few minutes later, told we had to move as it wasn't actually our room, but it would be ready in a few minutes. ( Good job as there was damp on the roof of that apartment)

We were advised they would sort us out with tea and coffee whilst we waited - noone came near us or made an attempt to apologise for our inconvenience. We had to wait the best part of an hour before we were shown to our room, meaning we had less time to do what we wanted before everywhere started to close.

Rang the reception to advise of our inconvenience, they did not answer the phone. Walked over to the reception and was abruptly asked to wait a minute. After clearly feeling discriminated against because I did not look quite like their 'regular' clientel, I thought to save embarrassment and bite my tongue.

We asked what time we could check out at when were showed the room and were advised 12:00, left the room however, at just after 11:00 and were locked out.

When we checked in I thought nothing of being asked for a pre-payment on my card, until we realised we were the only ones that seemed to have had to do this. (according to other neighbouring guests).

Upon check-out we were not asked how our stay was either - I just wanted to get out of there and go home.

Really was not made feel welcome at all...

The best of it all is, we are quite respectable people with respectable appearances.. I'm not quite sure what the issue was, as I can see lots of glowing reviews on here.

PS. There was also a certain type of curly hair in the bed that did not belong to us.....

Room Tip: Don't go for the apartments... Stay in the hotel.... Unless you look like you are loaded, you ma...
2 Thank Aaron F
Aweegem, Manager at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Hi AaronF,
I am really disappointed to hear that you did not have an exceptional experience with us during your stay. Please feel free to email me your contact details and I will contact you to discuss further on operations@malonelodgehotel.com. We appreciate all feedback and would like to work to fix anything we can to ensure that issues raised do not happen again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belfast N.Ireland..
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had recently got married in las vegas in march and we needed a place to hold our wedding party with our family/friends for when we got back so we booked Malone Lodge as we had friends that got married there a few years back and it was a great night and that was before the refurb.
Have to say the hotel is so nice/modern with the marble floors on arrival and the lovely big seats in reception.
The room we had the reception in was perfect,really well set up with very nice colours,we would defo recommend it to anyone.
We had a drinks reception in the lobby before going into the main room and they had made a special cocktail for our guests that we had specially asked for which was a nice touch and was not a problem!
The food was very tasty,no complaints from anyone and no plate was left with any food leftover!!
We were kindly upgraded to a bigger suite and the bedroom was very modern.
Staff were very friendly and the Manager Richard was very helpful and also big thanks to Naomi and Stephanie for helping us organise our special day and putting up with all our emails/requests..

Hi Domo23,
Thank you for the wonderful feedback you have provided. I know Connor (our in-house mixologist) was keen to get the cocktail you loved right for you so I will be sure to let him know that he did! I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all the team especially Richard, Naomi and Steff and we all hope to see you again soon in the Malone Lodge Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had a great stay at the Malone Hotels apartment in Belfast Queens university area.
Lovely quiet hotel, very attentive and pleasant staff
The apartment had all amenities of high quality needed from well equipped kitchen with cutlery, pots pans, gas cooker, microwave, small dining table to a lovely bedroom with king-size bed and on-suite bathroom.
a very comfortable stay. If you did not feel to use the kitchen, you could go to the Malone Hotel's own restaurant THE KNIFE and Fork which was also very reasonable in price and the food and service was as much tasty.
I would stay there again

Room Tip: The rooms are large and offer all amenities required for a comfortable stay
Hi DavidPK101,
It is great to hear that you really enjoyed your stay and that we were able to provide all that you needed in your apartment. Our guest’s satisfaction means everything to us and we strive to be exceptional every day. The feedback that you have provided is excellent and really drives us to be our very best here in the Malone Lodge Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to review the Malone Lodge Hotel and the Knife and Fork restaurant, we hope to see you again soon.
Brit in St Albans
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed as a family of 4 in one of the two bedded apartments next door to the main hotel. The apartment was like a small flat and highly recommended for a family of up to 5. Good value including free wifi.
Best thing though about Malone Lodge was the service at the front desk. Every time we needed their help they exceeded expectations. It is obviously important in setting the tone for your stay and our experience of friendly and efficient service from 4 or 5 different members of staff over the weekend is the reason I'm writing this now.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hi Sully47,
We believe in the Malone Lodge Hotel that consistency of service is key to our success. With the variety of different accommodation we have to offer we hope to cater to all types of clientele but always provide an exceptional experience. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the team here have given you exceptional service. We cannot wait to see you back again.
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I can't believe our apartment here cost us only £20 less than a room at a low budget hotel. The place was like a good sized flat. The rooms are well decorated and the kitchen had everything from gas cooker to spoons and waiting for is in the fridge was fresh milk! The hotel itself is also superb. We were so shocked on arrival at how beautiful the place was given the low price. The staff are fantastic and it's the first place we have stayed that there wasn't a single noise the entire night. We booked online (3 couples) and on the morning we were due to stay one of the party received a call from
The hotel as the apartment they had booked had been left a mess by the previous people so my friends were upgraded to an executive room in the hotel with complimentary breakfast and an hour later check out, which was fantastic. We arrived at 3 to check in and had a bit of a wait as the room wasn't ready, the receptionist advised us to wait because our apartment was one of the luxury ones (and it was). The 3rd couple had already checked in and were shown to their apartment and returned shortly after as they were told they had been given the wrong one and had to wait 30 mins for another one but were also given a better apartment. So all in all a little bit of mix up at the beginning but everything after was great. My husband and I will 100% be back and will recommend.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Wickedbambi,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Malone Lodge Hotel. I am really pleased that you found our “little gem” in the city so great! We are working on our check in time and also the slight delay in checking in on busy days and hopefully when you come to stay again this will certainly not be an issue. Thanks again for the positive feedback. Hope to see you again soon.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Hi to all at Malone lodge
just dropping you a line in regards to my recent stay at your hotel.
On arrival your reception staff were outstanding. We were greeted with a warm and friendly welcome, as if we were old friends for a long time (this is the 1st time I've stayed with you)
The guy on reception (sorry didn't catch his name) was extremely helpful he used extremely effective questioning to ascertain if we needed a taxi later and if we needed a table for dinner which he arranged both for us, then proceeded to explain the internet access process for our devices before giving us our room keys and bidding us an enjoyable stay
later we dined in your restaurant where we were looked after by Emma. Again we were treated like old friends with a warm and friendly service. Nothing was too much trouble for her and she served us attentively. The meal was delicious just a shame we didn't have time for desert as we were attending a concert at the odyssey.
On arrival back to the hotel we were greeted by Emma finishing her shift and instead of running out of the door as I would at the end of a working day Emma took the time to stop with us and ask about the concert and did we enjoy it etc. The bar man was closing up and advised us we could sit in the lobby and enjoy our drinks there was no rush and if we had wanted another drink it was no problem from the night porter
The rooms were nice and modern toasty warm, clean and comfortable
Room service for breakfast was great
Overall a thoroughly enjoyable stay from start to finish your staff are wonderfully warm friendly and attentive and I will definitely be returning and recommending
Thanks Malone lodge :)
Kinds regards
Emma holland

• Stayed March 2014
Hi Emma,
It is with great pleasure that I read this review. Everything that we strive for in the Malone Lodge Hotel has been achieved in your review, from the warmth of welcome at reception, to the great food in the Knife & Fork restaurant and also great friendly and caring service from the team. I cannot wait to pass on this review to all the team and be able to show how this exceptional service can really make a guests journey special. We hope to see you again soon in the Malone Lodge Hotel.
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed for one night to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. Had booked 'a night of indulgence' which included executive room and dinner. We were upgraded to a suite and there was a card and the room decorated with The Big 50 banners. Dinner was excellent and the dessert for my husband was decorated with Happy Birthday.
The staff went out of their way to make this a very special evening. The room and the food were lovely and I would recommend a visit if you are in Belfast.
Incidentally I lost an expensive bracelet which I suspected May have fallen down the plug hole in the bathroom.
I checked out of the hotel and was reassured by the lovely Rachel at reception that she would arrange a member of maintenance staff to check for me.
Within 2hours of leaving the hotel, Rachel phoned me to say that it had been found in the pipe in the bathroom. The moral of the story is not to leave your jewellery around a sink!
I am very grateful to the staff at Malone Lodge for helping me in my moment of crisis and would definitely encourage a stay at the hotel.

Hi Janice ,
I am so glad that we were able to make your stay special. We aim to get the little details right for all our guests and as we were aware of your special occasion we could provide a personal touch. I was also aware of the missing bracelet and that Jonny (maintenance) was able to get it from the u-bend, success! I will be sure to pass on your wonderful feedback to all the team especially Rachel and Jonny. We hope to see you again soon in the Malone Lodge Hotel.