“Dreadful Amenities - Dreadful Service. NO HOT WATER. Better off at a Campsite” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments

Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Dreadful Amenities - Dreadful Service. NO HOT WATER. Better off at a Campsite”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on the 12/04/2014 into the 13/04/2014 for a family wedding. We were joined by our friends who had another apartment booked.

On first glance the hotel looks modern and clean. My wife and I however were booked in for the apartments across the road from the hotel.

We were told that we could check in anytime after 3pm - This is where our issues began.

We had apartment 701 and the couple we were travelling with had apartment 707.

Our room was "ready" and the other couple was still being cleaned so we offered them to stay in our room until it their room was available.

This was not ready until 3.45pm.

We were getting ready to leave the apartment to attend the wedding at 5pm and already on a tight schedule we attempted to have showers. We quickly realised that there was NO HOT WATER.

I contacted the reception who told me initially that someone would be over in 2 minutes to check the boiler.

15 minutes goes past and there is no sign of anyone.

On contacting reception again I was advised that "the maintenance guy is dealing with another pressing issue on the first floor." After a bit of persuasion the RECEIPTIONIST attends my room and proceeds to check and play about with the boiler for the best part of 20 minutes.

When I asked why he was trying to fix it he stated that there is no service engineers on over the weekend. (This then begs the question: Who was dealing with the pressing issue on the first floor?)

The guy did not fix the problem but assured us it would be fixed for us returning later that evening.

That never happened.

When we returned there was still no hot water and funnily enough no hot water in the morning.

On top of this the apartment itself was very grubby: there was an iron mark on the carpet next to the bed, the paint was faded, the sink in the bathroom had a huge crack in it which appeared to have been filled in but was clearly still visible.

As we never had the most basic amenity expected in a hotel/apartment of hot water I asked to complain to a manager and was met with "Richard."

He was a fairly pleasant chap however he seemed to be as much use as a chocolate teapot. At this point I had checked out and was ready to leave for the airport and he then offered me the use of a shower facility. This was literally as I was about to walk out the door and clearly far too late.

At no point the night before was this offered to us or even an exchange of room offered to us.

Richard stated he was unable to deal with the complaint adequately at that time as he needed to speak to the general manager and took my contact telephone number and I was assured I would be contacted within 24 hours.

Needless to say this has not happened.

I allowed the Malone Lodge the whole of Monday the 14/04/2014 to contact me and nothing. I then phoned them 3 times on Tuesday the 15/04/2014 and never received a phone call as the manager was busy then later out for the day and I was assured I would get a call around 5pm. (Again this didn't materialise)

I re-contacted them on the Wednesday 16/04/2014 at 1010am and was told that I would be called back this time with another manager who was "dealing with the complaint." At the time of writing this at 1205 on the 16th I still have had no correspondence from the management of the hotel.

The service from this establishment is absolutely deplorable and clearly they have no interest in repeat business.

Room Tip: If you are to stay at the Malone Lodge make sure you get a hotel room and avoid the apartments as th...
2 Thank Gary S
Aweegem, Manager at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hi Gary,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Our main objective is to provide a high standard of quality and service, and we do apologise that on this occasion we failed to do this. Please be assured that your feedback is much valued by us as we endeavour to improve standards and meet our guest’s needs.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here previously and got a lovely clean bright apt. Stayed this weekend and apartment was old fashioned, not clean and really poor atNdard (no. 501). Could really do with a make-over. Outside the bedroom windows, was cans and broken bottles and rubbish in a lane. Carpet was dirty.
It's a pity as I do think this is a lovely welcoming hotel in a great location but when you are paying 130 sterling for 3 adults, you expect hotel standard and this was definitely student standard.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank tripbugs
Hi tripbugs,
It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion the apartments did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please be assured that we will be making every effort to resolve the issues raised. Thanks you once again for your review.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Everything about this Hotel shouts quality, from the staff, service rooms and food I cannot fault it. Thank you Malone Lodge for making my stay a joy! I will be back and the next time bring my friends.

Room Tip: All rooms are lush
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aweegem, Manager at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Hi EW,
Thank you for your great review of the Malone Lodge Hotel. At the Malone Lodge Hotel we aim to offer exceptional experiences to all of our guests and it really is delightful to see that on this occasion we have achieved this and more. We cannot wait to see you back, with friends, to show you an exceptional experience once more.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed in the Malone Lodge Belfast for two nights. I found the hotel to be of excellent quality. The rooms were very spacious and had a trouser press and small Ironing board attached to the wall also a hair dryer as well as tea/coffee facilities which came in very handy. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They also have an excellent 3 course dinner menu for only £17.

I would Definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Teresa D,
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Malone Lodge Hotel. We are so happy that we were able to provide all you needed for a great stay. We are especially happy that you also enjoyed our new Knife & Fork restaurant and the great value offered in our 3 course Dinner Bed and Breakfast package. I will be sure to share your feedback with all the team and hope to see you back again soon.
Banbridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here last saturday night with my wife. First of all when we arrived, we thought what a lovely hotel - then we were shown the apartments.... Which were across the road and not actually on the hotel grounds. We were shown our room then a few minutes later, told we had to move as it wasn't actually our room, but it would be ready in a few minutes. ( Good job as there was damp on the roof of that apartment)

We were advised they would sort us out with tea and coffee whilst we waited - noone came near us or made an attempt to apologise for our inconvenience. We had to wait the best part of an hour before we were shown to our room, meaning we had less time to do what we wanted before everywhere started to close.

Rang the reception to advise of our inconvenience, they did not answer the phone. Walked over to the reception and was abruptly asked to wait a minute. After clearly feeling discriminated against because I did not look quite like their 'regular' clientel, I thought to save embarrassment and bite my tongue.

We asked what time we could check out at when were showed the room and were advised 12:00, left the room however, at just after 11:00 and were locked out.

When we checked in I thought nothing of being asked for a pre-payment on my card, until we realised we were the only ones that seemed to have had to do this. (according to other neighbouring guests).

Upon check-out we were not asked how our stay was either - I just wanted to get out of there and go home.

Really was not made feel welcome at all...

The best of it all is, we are quite respectable people with respectable appearances.. I'm not quite sure what the issue was, as I can see lots of glowing reviews on here.

PS. There was also a certain type of curly hair in the bed that did not belong to us.....

Room Tip: Don't go for the apartments... Stay in the hotel.... Unless you look like you are loaded, you ma...
2 Thank Aaron F
Aweegem, Manager at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Hi AaronF,
I am really disappointed to hear that you did not have an exceptional experience with us during your stay. Please feel free to email me your contact details and I will contact you to discuss further on operations@malonelodgehotel.com. We appreciate all feedback and would like to work to fix anything we can to ensure that issues raised do not happen again.
Belfast N.Ireland..
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had recently got married in las vegas in march and we needed a place to hold our wedding party with our family/friends for when we got back so we booked Malone Lodge as we had friends that got married there a few years back and it was a great night and that was before the refurb.
Have to say the hotel is so nice/modern with the marble floors on arrival and the lovely big seats in reception.
The room we had the reception in was perfect,really well set up with very nice colours,we would defo recommend it to anyone.
We had a drinks reception in the lobby before going into the main room and they had made a special cocktail for our guests that we had specially asked for which was a nice touch and was not a problem!
The food was very tasty,no complaints from anyone and no plate was left with any food leftover!!
We were kindly upgraded to a bigger suite and the bedroom was very modern.
Staff were very friendly and the Manager Richard was very helpful and also big thanks to Naomi and Stephanie for helping us organise our special day and putting up with all our emails/requests..

Hi Domo23,
Thank you for the wonderful feedback you have provided. I know Connor (our in-house mixologist) was keen to get the cocktail you loved right for you so I will be sure to let him know that he did! I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all the team especially Richard, Naomi and Steff and we all hope to see you again soon in the Malone Lodge Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had a great stay at the Malone Hotels apartment in Belfast Queens university area.
Lovely quiet hotel, very attentive and pleasant staff
The apartment had all amenities of high quality needed from well equipped kitchen with cutlery, pots pans, gas cooker, microwave, small dining table to a lovely bedroom with king-size bed and on-suite bathroom.
a very comfortable stay. If you did not feel to use the kitchen, you could go to the Malone Hotel's own restaurant THE KNIFE and Fork which was also very reasonable in price and the food and service was as much tasty.
I would stay there again

Room Tip: The rooms are large and offer all amenities required for a comfortable stay
Hi DavidPK101,
It is great to hear that you really enjoyed your stay and that we were able to provide all that you needed in your apartment. Our guest’s satisfaction means everything to us and we strive to be exceptional every day. The feedback that you have provided is excellent and really drives us to be our very best here in the Malone Lodge Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to review the Malone Lodge Hotel and the Knife and Fork restaurant, we hope to see you again soon.