“Great stay but....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Oshawa, Canada
“Great stay but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

The staff was amazing, they greeted us warmly and were very helpful with regards to telling us how to get around Belfast. The only negative is the location. We didn't feel totally at ease when walking around the neighbourhood after dinner. It seems to be an up an coming area that isn't quite there yet. The room was very comfortable and spacious with two seating areas! I would recommend this hotel as a great place to stay but would recommend travel during the day. Nothing we could put our finger on, but just a sense of unease.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room not facing onto the road.....a little busy and noisy with buses and other t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Malone-Lodge-Hotels, Manager at Malone Lodge Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Hi Beverly589,

Thank you for your lovely review. I do hope that your sense of unease would not put you off staying in the Malone Lodge Hotel in the future, we pride ourselves on our location with our tree lines Eglantine Avenue and also the Queens Quarter right next door to the Botanical Gardens.
From all the team thanks you again and we hope to see you soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Limavady
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

On booking in I was told I was across the road in an annex which did not please me but I was told the rooms were better. Our room was fantastic, with a Jacuzzi, and fridge with complimentary water and chocolate. But a friends room, in the annex was terrible. Staff very pleasant and helpful, food was great and location for shops etc. is good but I imagine it could be very noisy from traffic and drunks.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dogleap
Dear dogleap,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Malone Lodge Hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room that you stayed in. We do have a variety of different accommodation to suit our guests needs and I am glad to hear that we got it right for you. I do hope to see you again soon! From all the team, thank you again.
Dalton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Where do I start... Dropped into Belfast City airport after an epic English trip to Manchester and into the taxi to Malone. Straight away the friendly staff and sumptuous surroundings put you at ease. The quality & size of the rooms for the price were, to be honest outstanding. Jacuzzi baths and office desks for this price... Wake me up! Anyhow, the jewel in the crown has to be The Knife & Fork restaurant. It's been a while since I experienced the whole package of food quality, surroundings,pleasant atmosphere and good wine. The open kitchen showed the chef's attention to detail , which was evident from the food. An outstanding wild mushroom Bruschetta, with an outstanding medley of balanced flavours but the crowning jewel was the 28 day matured Irish sirlion, perfectly executed with onion rings to die for. Normally I'd be done for but given the flavour & body of the Rioja,I had to go for the sweet. Mini sweets to mix & match, sweet tooth heaven. Top tip, go for the chocolate pot, a phenomenal balance between bitter & sweet, the perfect end to a perfect evening. I live in the South Lakes, Cumbria & I'm spoiled by good restaurants including our very own Michellin starred Len Clune, but this is one of the best all round packages I've experienced for a wile. Looking forward to breakfast... Room 604!

Room Tip: All good as far as I can see!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear john t,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Malone Lodge Hotel and thank you so much for your lovely feedback.

I really appreciate your lovely comments regarding all of our staff. It always gives me great pleasure to learn that our team gives our guests such a memorable experience and I am happy to hear that all your needs were accommodated. I will ensure to pass on your kind words to all the team.

On behalf of everyone here, sincere thanks once again for your kind comments and I do hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at the Malone mews apartments last year and on this basis booked two apartments in July for 3 nights, assuming that all apartments would be of a similar standard. The apartments in Malone Mews are two bedroom / two bathroom apartments with kitchen and sitting room and suited our purposes very well on a previous stay.
On check in we were only allocated one apartment in the mews building, the other was two doors away from the main hotel and was very definitely SUB STANDARD accommodation. Stains on the furniture, walls and floor in the sitting room, the same in the kitchen, bedroom furniture was very old and tired and stale smell throughout.
To be fair to the hotel the duty manager moved us immediately, first to a different apartment in the building opposite the hotel, and on the second night into two rooms in the hotel. I feel obliged however to inform other trip advisors to be very careful when booking apartments at this hotel.
I was shocked at the poor standard compared to the much better standards in the actual hotel. My other complaint was breakfast - choice was poor and in terms of value for money we had a much better breakfast for less than half the price at the café at the end of the road, which I believe is called the Mad Hatter. Having been a frequent visitor to Belfast over the past five years I have sampled quite a few hotels there but would not rebook at this one.

Room Tip: Be very careful when booking apartments at this hotel - standards differ enormously.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Fussy21
Dear Fussy21
Firstly my sincere thanks for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

I was very disappointed to read your feedback on your recent experience with us.

We pride ourselves in getting it right for all our guests and it is very disappointing to hear that on this occasion we did not reach your expectations. I profoundly apologise for this. We like to think that our food is one of the many areas of expertise we pride ourselves on, we sincerely hope that you will trust in us to take this feedback constructively and rectify an exceptional experience which does not match the usual standards.

I would also like to apologize for the issues regarding your apartment.

Once again my sincere thanks for expressing your views which are extremely important to us as it is only through feedback from pro-active guests like yourself that we can hope to maintain the high standards for which the Malone Lodge Hotel is renowned for.

Finally I do hope you will consider another visit to us so that we may have the opportunity to rectify this experience which does not match the usual Malone Lodge Hotel Welcome.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My friend had stayed over Christmas and highly recommended the Malone Lodge however I was not as impressed.

Upon arrival we were greeted with a warm welcome and we're very impressed by the decor in the reception but that's were it stopped.

We had booked a double room and ended being chased 5 minutes away to the "Malone Apartments", the area was dreadful, drunks and litter everywhere and the noise was unbearable.

On our second night we asked if we could be moved and the lady in reception obliged, which we appreciated. Although the room was slightly nicer the noise was just as bad.

The wifi was out of order however the receptionist helped us by providing a good selection of activities for us to try

The hotel lacked any atmosphere and whilst the staff were all very friendly they seemed disengaged overall (excluding the blonde lady that checked us in)

On a more positive note the breakfast was the best I have ever had, delicious and
Plentiful too with an ample selection. The restaurant is also very well decorated and the menu had a good selection

The location is outside the city but there are a good selection of restaurants nearby, we tried the Barking Dog and Deanes, both very good

Unfortunately the hotel did not live up to my friends recommendations on this occasion but I would imagine it would be a great spot for a business traveller.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear orlacamden,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and give constructive feedback on your experience.
Firstly may I apologize for the experience that you had of "drunks" outside your apartment, this is not something that we have had issues with before but certainly something we will be aware of in the future to ensure that this does not impact our guests stay. I have also looked into additional training for all staff on "warmth of welcome" as I believe that this is the first encounter of our guests and sets the the tone for the rest of our guests stay, my apologies that on this occasion you did not receive a great sense of engagement from our team on reception. Thanks you for the nice comments about the food. We do hope to see you back again in the Malone Lodge Hotel so that we can show case the improvements we have made since your stay and feedback
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I want to give this hotel 4.5 stars. But I estimated up because the .5 would just be picky. I came to the Malone and Belfast because my cousin was getting married here. Usually before going anywhere, I research my hotel thoroughly until I am satisfied and choose. In this case, my choice was made for me and luckily I was not disappointed. My room was spacious enough where my friend and I did not collide, yet the beds were the size of the one in my childhood bedroom (see, just being picky). That's not to say the bed wasn't comfortable, it was, I just haven't slept on a bed that size since college! I was lucky to not have a room facing the street as my Aunt and Uncle did, otherwise I would've heard the revelry outside from parties past. But unlucky enough to get a window facing the pipes and heating things that didn't make for a great view. But I digress, there are worse things. Let's get to the food and the wedding. The food at the Knife and Fork was FANTASTIC. Really good. I was pleasantly surprised. The breakfast is not your ordinary continental breakfast. You get it all and with a smile. The wedding of course was amazing too. The staff was seamless (from what I could tell) during the party and it all went off without a hitch. Unfortunately no one was there when we tried to check out early in the morning, otherwise I would've thanked them myself.
Oh, it's a touch farther than I usually like to stay from places of interest, but not far from the airport, train station, and many restaurants.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Feilicia U,

Thank you for the lovely review of the Malone Lodge Hotel and all the staff here. We strive daily to create exceptional experiences for all our guests. I am glad you have experienced the hotel and the service that we provide. Hope to see you back again soon.
Thanks again from all the team!
County Londonderry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here at the weekend 19th july 2014 as part of a package with Belfast hen parties. We had 2 apartments and they were great- clean, comfortable.Towels, bed linen and toiletries were all supplied. The icing on the cake was the hen party banner and badges that was in the apartments when we arrived that Added a lovely touch.
Our cocktail class was definitely a good choice. I'm a big jack daniels fan and the guy was able to go and find a cocktail recipe and brought back 8 jack daniels bombs. Unfortunately non of the other girls like jack daniels so that was more for me lol.
Had our dinner in the knife & fork restaurant. The food was delicious.
The staff were extremely kind, polite and helpful.
An overall great experience and would definitely recommend anyone to stay here.
Oh great location too, central to everything.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Gillian L,

Many thanks for the lovely review. We are so glad that you had a wonderful Hen party and enjoyed not only the well appointed rooms with all the facilities but also our cocktail class, I know the team here love to hold them! Elaine our superstar on reception loves to decorate the rooms for your arrival and I will be sure to let her know that you enjoyed the little touch!
I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed you meal with us and I will also be sure to pass on your lovely comments to all the team and hopefully will see you back again soon!