Holiday Inn Express Belfast City Queens Quarter
House Belfast(Belfast)
  • Room Service
  • Pool
1,348 results
All reviewshi expresssecure parkingice machinethe sofa bedqueens quartercar parkbotanic avenuefree breakfastuniversity areaulster museumminute walkwould stay here againbudget hotelquiet areahotel is situatedstayed here for nightscooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This hotel is slap-bang in the middle of the student area in Belfast, so many of the beautiful houses are not as well-kept as they should be. The hotel itself is clean, spacious, central, and cheap! Our room was quiet, but I suspect this is due to distance from any hen or stag parties there.

I stayed when visiting some friends in Belfast and the Holiday Inn was perfect for my needs. The only downside was the breakfast, however it was lapped up by the various stag and hen parties staying! It was fine for tea and toast, but the cooked items were not great.

Room Tip: 301 is at the front and at the end of a corridor - fewer neighbours so less noise!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
ExpressbyHolidayInn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Belfast City Queens Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad you were happy with the price of the hotel. We always try to ensure our customers receive value for money by including free cooked breakfast, free wifi & free car parking in the room rates.
I am sorry to hear you found the breakfast not great this particular time & I will pass your comments to the kitchen team. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

The HIE in Antrim was first class and I hoped this would be the case here but it fell short, I'm afraid. The staff were friendly and the place was clean but it could be greatly improved upon, not least with an external face-lift. On the down side: first, even with the heater on full it felt cold at night and there were no blankets provided. Secondly, there wasn't a single drawer in the room to put clothes etc in. (I know this is an 'express' hotel, implying an overnight/short visit but surely they could have provided even one drawer.) Thirdly, and most annoyingly, there was only one socket at the far side of one of the twin beds in our room. (The other socket was on the desk for the kettle). This meant getting up to walk around my room mate's bed to plug my phone in to see the time in the middle of the night on the many occasions I was woken up by the noise. At one point I had to call reception to have the drunken revellers shut up at about 3.00 in the morning. I think it would have made much more sense, if being limited to one socket, to site it between the beds!
On the plus side, the breakfast was good and it is handy for the Uni and the city centre.

Room Tip: If you stay 2 days you can ask for the 15% discount. This wasn't offered to me but when I brought it up it was readily agreed to!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you were not totally satisfied with your stay. The hotel was fully refurbished in May 2010 to brand specification including the room layout & design but I will pass your comments about the drawer space to the brand team. With regards to no blankets being provided all the beds are of course provided with a duvet & if you had've informed a member of the reception team they wouldve been more than happy to provide you with an extra duvet or blanket.
Unfortunatley sometimes other guests can be noisey but I am happy that the night team helped with this matter after you called them. I hope that if you're ever back in Belfast you give us another chance.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

As I drove towards the hotel, my sat-nav indicated that I was 300 metres away and I thought it was once again taking me to the wrong place as the road looked so run down. Unfortunately, it was behaving itself and I pulled up outside a sad looking HI Express. Followed signs to the car park and it was totally enclosed with very high metal fencing and electronic gates, which I found a tad disconcerting. After parking I had to walk down steep concrete steps to get into the hotel. The outside of the building looked dismal, but I was optimistic that the interior would be better.

It wasn't. Dark, dull & depressing is how I would describe it. The staff on reception were abrupt. When I got to the room I discovered it was a disabled room with rails and handles all round the bath and the alarm cord. Not sure why they gave me this room, but the main benefit was that it was large. The bed was quite comfortable, the TV worked and there was tea & coffee making facilities and a hairdryer.

Given the ugly surroundings, I did not feel that I should venture out on my own in the evening, so went down to the restaurant. Sorry - did I just call it a restaurant? It is actually a group of basic shiny topped tables in a poorly lit area with a bar. There were 3 other sad souls eating in there and they looked how I felt! The menu was just a bit of laminated A4 with the offering typed on it. I opted for the breadcrumbed mushrooms, which were so hard I could barely get my fork through them and they had no dip with them, just lettuce & tomato. The fish & chips were marginally better. The waitress was not interested in any chat even though the place was almost empty. Perhaps she felt as depressed as I did. I just ate the food and returned to my room as quickly as possible.

I have stayed in HI Express hotels before, and a few of them have actually been quite nice, but this was the worst of the lot. On a positive note, I did get to use the free wi-fi and the shower was hot.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ukbusinesslady

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry you felt that the hotel was a depressing place. The car park has raised fencing & a security gate to make the car park secure for our guests to feel comfortable leaving their cars there over night. I am dismayed by your comment that the reception staff were abrupt as we regularly receive feedback of how friendly & courteous the staff are but I will relay this back to the team. With regards to your room being a wheel chair accessible room these are allocated last when the hotel is busy so I assume this was the case for your stay.
I apologise if you were not totally satisfied with the decor, service & meal in the restaurant. I will pass your feedback to the team & see where we can improve. I am glad you were happy with the free wifi & hot power shower.
I hope you will give us another chance if you're travels bring you back to Belfast.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed here 4 nights and found that the location was ideal for Queen's University and about 20 mins walk to the city hall / central area. £10 in a taxi to Belfast city airport. The rooms are a bit jaded but for £58 per night. I am not complaining. The staff are so helpful and pleasant. The breakfast is better than you will pay £8 for in premier Inn with bacon, sausages, eggs and beans plus good cereals, toast, croissants, and fruit / yoghurts and drinks. I would recommend but if you want to be close to the busy city centre maybe not the best.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. The hotel was fully refurbished in May 2010 so I am sorry you felt it looked a bit tired but we do carry out an in house preventative maintenance programme to keep the hotel looking as fresh as possible.
I am delighted you enjoyed the free cooked buffet breakfast & that you received value for money. Thank you for your comments about the staff they work very hard to ensure our guests enjoy their time with us. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Initial impression was very good. The staff at reception were very welcoming. On arriving in our room we discovered that the sofa bed ( for our two children) was not made up but one phone call and bedding and extra towels were brought up and made for us. Unfortunately that is where the good comments end- the (small) double bed was very uncomfortable and the sofa bed mechanism was very prominent ( by design not fault)and necessitated being covered up by towels incase our children hurt themselves during the night. It is in student area so no surprise we were woken by late night revellers at 3am. The itself was small but clean and would be suitable for couples looking somewhere cheap to stay after a night out and although convenient for Ulster museum etc I would not recommend it for families with young chidren.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JC_772

Thank you for your review. I am glad that the staff were welcoming & made up the sofabed promptly once alerted it hadnt been done so already. I am sorry to hear that you found the bed & sofabed uncomfortable, they are recently new brand specific beds & sofabeds. I am sorry that you were awoken by outside noise but unfortunately as we are located on the outskirts of the city centre this can happen. I hope that you will consider us for accommodation if you ever visit the city again.