“OK if you like a jelly-bed”

Holiday Inn Express Belfast City Queens Quarter
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Salford, United Kingdom
“OK if you like a jelly-bed”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Firstly, I'd like to say that the staff at this hotel were excellent and tried their best to sort out a comfortable bed for us.

The room itself was spacious, clean and smelled fresh. OK the view of the back of a terrace of houses and barbed wire wasn't great but we just needed somewhere safe to park the car and warm to sleep and on the face of it, the hotel was just fine.

The food was great, bar well stocked, breakfast very good indeed. Even on St Patrick's night we weren't disturbed by noise from other guests.

The significant and very disappointing issue, and the reason we have given only an 'average' review was that our bed had a cheap, nasty mattress with a zero comfort score. If I moved, the whole mattress moved - it was like trying to balance on a bouncy castle or a particularly wobbly jelly. There was no way the two of us were going to get a comfortable night's sleep on it.

So the staff took us to various empty rooms, but in every case the mattress was just the same. There was no option but to get extra bedding and try the sofa bed.

This wasn't any better - possibly even (if that were possible) worse...... so he had the sofa bed and I had the jelly-bed. So much for a romantic night away!

We didn't sleep well at all, despite having worked 23 hours the day before (yes really!) and being completely exhausted. I left the hotel the following morning more tired than I had been when we arrived.

Would we go back? No. But not because of the staff, location or anything else other than the dreadful bed. Holiday Inn really need to look at their procurement and ask why these mattresses are so different from the ones in their other hotels.

A really big let down - and not what we expect from Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Grace P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Belfast City Queens Quarter, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking some time to leave you review about your stay with us here at Holiday Inn Express Belfast. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we do take note of all reviews left.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your comments regarding the staff here, I am pleased to hear that they tried their best to resolve the issue for you. I do apologise for your uncomfortable nights sleep, we are aware of the issue regarding the mattresses and the owners are in the process of replacing all the mattresses and bed bases. I know that unfortunately this does not help at the moment, but hopefully you will give us another chance in the future to provide a great night sleep.

Thank you again for your review, we do appreciate all feedback so we can improve on any issues.

Grace Pullen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Banbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed here for my hen night and I was pleasantly surprised upon arrival. We were around 2 hours early as we had lots of activities planned and just thought we would ask if early check in was available. We were asked to wait one moment but almost immediately were told yes our room was available and we were checked in. We explained to the receptionist that we had some girls at the hen party who wouldn't be staying but would need a place to change and would it be possible for them to use our rooms. We were told that it wouldn't be a problem.
We took the lift to the 2nd floor and found our room, it was very easy to locate. When other members of our party arrived later that day we weren't all in rooms beside one another but this was no big problem.
Upon entering our room I was again pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean, everything looked fresh, almost new, and well for a budget hotel, this puts some grander hotels to shame. There was everything you would expect in the room, tea/coffee facilities, clean towels, bathroom products etc.
The residents bar is open until 3, and there is a nice atmosphere, relaxed even.
I cannot complain about noise from the street or in the hotel, there really was none, the hotel has a strict no noise policy. Everyone had an excellent nights sleep.
Breakfast the next morning was fantastic. There was a great range of hot fry items and cold foods, cereals, pastries, fruit, yoghurt, teas, coffees and juices. Beware the toaster! It has a sign asking guests not to put croissants into the toaster as they get stuck, the smoke that comes from it and the flames are no joke, but the expression on the lady's face who had put the croissant in was priceless, certainly gave us all a giggle, luckily it was easily resolved, but not without some blushes.
I cannot record this hotel highly enough for sewing in if you are visiting Belfast and aren't concerned about the frills and fancy. It may be basic, probably not suitable for a romantic getaway, but everything is excellent quality and if I ever had a reason to stay in Belfast again, this would be my first stop.

Room Tip: I would say all rooms would be fairly similar so I don't think this applies.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank emelouz
Grace P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Belfast City Queens Quarter, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a great time. I am pleased to hear that our reception team were able to get you checked in with no hassle and the room was up to standard, our housekeeping team work really hard to ensure all rooms are spotless! I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast, we love it that we can offer such a wide selection for breakfast, we know that a delicious breakfast is the best way to start the day!

We hope to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed in the HI Express Belfast for one night as we were seeing a show at the Odyssey Arena. When visiting Belfast we usually stay in the HI. However due to reward nights selling out we were forced to book the express.

While there is nothing wrong with this hotel (Clean, comfy ect) i don't believe its worth 25000; the same as the holiday inn. However, if you can get this at a good £ rate its perfect! It took us around 30 minutes to walk to the arena, which is further than the City Centre.

Unfortunately, we were disturbed by some very rude guests at 4am. Except this, the hotel provided a good nights sleep with no other noise disturbance. The ample amount of parking is also a major benefit as cheap and available parking in Belfast City is scarce.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I would like to apologise on behalf of the noisy guests, we do implement a strict no noise policy after 11pm so I can only apologise for this. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found us a good base for your trip. I am glad to hear that you took advantage of our free car parking, it's definitely handy! We do have some great rates and you can pick up a bargain so we do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Strabane, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Just back from 2 night stay. Staff very friendly & helpful. Rooms basic but clean & spacious. Maybe bit more storage would be good idea. Bathroom clean & spacious with a good shower. Breakfast lovely with plenty of choice. Good value for money! Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014
Grace P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Belfast City Queens Quarter, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear about your excellent stay with us and that you found our staff friendly and helpful, I will pass on your comments. I am also happy to hear that you found our rooms clean and spacious, and that you enjoyed your free cooked breakfast. Hopefully we will be welcoming you back again in the near future.

Taunton, England
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I stay here end of February. As company looking for cheaper hotel and want to stay in ihg chain. Arrived late at night and check in was fast, friendly and informative. The room was clean Wi Fi was amazing was able to stream I player and sky without buffering. The walk in shower was one of the best I have used in a hotel. The free parking was great as parkomg in Belfast can be scarce. The hotels location for restaurants is great only 2 mind walk in botanic Ave. The choice of restaurants is great with a good choice of bars as well. Only downside is that the walls are thin.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your great review, I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay. It's great to hear that you took advantage of our free parking and also that our free WiFi made your stay more relaxing and enjoyable.

London
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night mid week for business. The lady checking me in was very pleasant and helpful. She pointed my colleague and I in the direction of local restaurants and gladly provided a replacement toothbrush for the one left at home. She was also very helpful in booking a cab for the following morning.

The room was very clean and spacious with a well thought out layout including a plug socket under the full length mirror. The bed was very comfy although the pillows could have been plumper. The room also seemed very hot and had no air con although I could open the window slightly.

The bathroom was very clean and fresh and the shower very good. It certainly did the trick in the morning.

The free breakfast and wifi were great touches and there was a wide choice at breakfast. Especially nice was the big fruit bowl.

I definitely plan to return and would recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our staff were extremely helpful, that's what we're here for! I am also pleased to hear that you took advantage of our free WiFi and that the free breakfast and good shower set you up for the day.

bucks,england
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Positives - fee wifi; free secure underground parking; free breakfast (including full english); well-equiped, clean, warm, quiet rooms (but ones where you can open the windows); lots of hot water from a great shower; friendly, helpful staff and all at a very favouable nightly rate.Rooms are either a standard double (with a sofa bed) or twins in the same square footage, so if you like lots of bed space (as we do) and want to avoid the slight problem of over-soft mattresses, go for a twin. Interconneting rooms available.

And a bonus for someone like me with long hair - a hairdryer that works, is NOT located in the bathroom, IS in front of a full length mirror AND stays on without having to hold the button down. Bravo Holiday Inn Express - a little thing that can make all the difference!

Although there is food available in the evenings, our one meal wasn't anything more than adequate, but as there are plenty of restuarants a few minutes walk away, there is no need to eat in. The hotel staff recommended "Villa Italia" which is about a 5 minute walk away and was so good we went on consecutive nights! Join the IHG club for extra benefits - it's free!

Room Tip: Rooms at either end of the corridoors i.e. away from the lifts, are probably quieter, as are those a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review, I am delighted to hear that enjoyed your stay with us and had everything you needed. We love it that we can offer you free WiFi, free parking AND free cooked breakfast, so I am pleased to hear that you took advantage!