“Nice for Package ” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Chubby Cherub
Ranked #30 of 1,040 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Belfast
“Nice for Package ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I were given a treat ticket voucher for here and we went last year. The food was nice we both had pizza as that was the offer. The surroundings is also nice and sets the scene

I would recommend coming here for dinner, it's also nicer looking on the darker nights as they light the candles which sets the scene :-)))

“Disappointing......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Visited the restaurant because of positive reviews on trip advisor. The most disappointing thing was the quality of the food. I had mussels to start, they were not fresh and smelt really fishy, not a good sign. My wife had the selection of breads, or should I say 4 pieces of the same loaf. For the main I had the fillet of pork with the gnocchi. Nothing on the plate was seasoned correctly and the pork was overlooked and dry. Such a let down. My wife had the chicken tagliatelle which was really tasty and about the only positive I could take out of the otherwise poor experience. For a meal including 2 drinks each for £70 I would expect a lot better.

1 Thank JohnRaf2008
belfast
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best place I've been in years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I went for dinner on Saturday night with my partner and we had a great time, the food and the service were both excellent. I didn't find it crowded at all, its a small restaurant but that makes it cosy and romantic, and personally I love the decor in the Chubby Cherub. We will definitely be back and recommend the restaurant to our friends.

• Visited June 2014
Devon, UK
“A cosy, exuberant Trattoria”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We called unexpectedly at 7pm on Saturday evening, and were lucky only because a booking had not arrived: with only about 24 covers, popularity equals crowding, so be prepared for a squeezed, but friendly, mealtime!

We enjoyed excellent risotto and tagliatelle, and although the service was relaxed, the staff were very helpful (though the rather basic wine list was pricey, even by restaurant standards). £40 for two main courses, two wine glasses and two black coffees - including service.

The restaurant/nightclub opposite seems to be linked?

But, given a longer stay ( three nights at the nearby Premier Inn), we'd certainly return.

Visited June 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I had read a number of reviews on this website about The Chubby Cherub and thought it looked cute enough having walked past it many times. I decided to go there for dinner with my partner given that it is quite obviously a 'romantic' restaurant.

Sadly, I feel quite let down. The restaurant is pretty small (obviously not the fault of those who work there, but it's important to be aware of) and I feel like there are too many tables crammed into the space as we often had people's bodies rubbing against our faces as they struggled to get past. I also, on a number of occasions bumped into one half of the couple next to us with my arm as the tables were so close together. I had attempted to make a reservation and was told that you could not make reservations on Friday or Saturday evenings which seems illogical given that these are two of the busiest nights of the week.

There were two waiters working the day we chose to visit and unfortunately the one that took our table seemed interested in every other thing in the restaurant except the customers, and it became increasingly difficult to get his attention to get some more water or even to get our bill.

The food itself is not bad, my starter (stuffed portobello mushroom) and my partners starter (a mushroom/parma ham bruschetta) were delicious. However that's where it ended, the mains were saturated with butter, the vegetables were not very fresh and my partner reported the chicken as having been dry. The dessert was barely edible. We had tiramisu as my partner usually really enjoys it but it was primarily made up of cream that was much too boozy.

Having to pay £60 for a meal during which we had no alcohol and sub-par food and service was the icing on the cake. If I were to spend that much on a meal again, I would take it to Coppi or one of the better Italian restaurants in the city as this was much too overpriced for food of a basic quality.

• Visited June 2014