“A delicious meal and great service.”
Review of the Potted Hen - CLOSED

the Potted Hen
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“A delicious meal and great service.”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I visited The Potted Hen with some friends on Saturday night. It was my first time at the restaurant and I wasn't disappointed. We opted to eat from the Christmas Menu which offers 3 courses for £29.50 per person. If you are looking for an all-you-can-eat-pile-it-high festive experience you will be disappointed with this menu. The portions aren't big yet they are just the right amount to leave you sated and not uncomfortably full. I'm a big fan of Masterchef and it really felt like I was eating really top quality food which was presented really artistically on the plate.

I went for a goats cheese and pear starter, 'traditional' turkey dinner and crème brulee with mulled wine spices and a lemon shortbread biscuit. My friends all had the turkey for their main course but chose dumplings and salad for their starters and one opted for sticky toffee pudding as their dessert. We all enjoyed our meal and service was exemplary over the course of the evening.

All in all, with wine and coffees and including a tip it worked out at around £40 per head which is pricey but as it was our Christmas night out we treated ourselves and it was worth it. We sat downstairs and the atmosphere was great. Perfect for chatting and catching up and great to see plenty of people coming in.

If you are booking a table I'd recommend you book for one downstairs as upstairs seemed to have a different atmosphere. The lighting was very bright and it didn't seem quite as nice.
We had a lovely time at The Potted Hen and I would recommend it as a special treat. They also do a pre-theatre menu and are located across the square from The Mac which is Belfast's newest arts venue. Both are located within the Cathedral Quarter which is definitely the place to be if you are looking for the best bars in town and it's oozing with culture. Parking is available at St Anne's Square and offers a handy night time rate of around £3.50 and the restaurant is easy to get to. I hope you have as lovely a time as we did!

“Simply beautiful”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Visited the potted hen for lunch with family a couple of weeks ago. It was a last minute decision to go here, and even though the restaurant was bustling with people, we got seated by the friendly staff straight away. The menu had a good range to suit all needs. I decided to go for their daily special of queenie scallops which was simply stunning. However the star of my experience had to be the chocolate dessert that I got, which was the most mouth watering beautiful dessert I've had in quite some.

The lunch menu was good value for money and I would definitely recommend a visit.

“Good time”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Had a great night in this lovely restaurant. Food great staff great. Would definitely recommend this spot.

Visited July 2013
County Down
“Lovely tasty lunch!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Had the special salted chilli beef, was so tasty plus large portions with yummy skinny rough cooked chips. Nice atmosphere for a girly lunch with nice staff.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Definitely a Place to Dine”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My family and i had an excellent birthday lunch for our daughter. Staff were really good and attentive. The food quality was excellent. Will be recommending it to all our friends.