“Exceptionally rude staff”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Arrogant and rude staff - won't be back. Food is okay but doesn't make up for the extremely bad attitude.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I'm not a great fan of restaurants in Northern Ireland. There's an awful lot of Oirishness to cope with in their stying and their cooking - more champ with your sweet and sour anyone??
The Ginger tree doesn't try to be anything other than a Japanese restaurant and what a great job they do of it. I don't have a lot of experience eating Japanese food food but my hostess - Elizabeth English Wylie - talked me through the menu and made some great recommendations.The sushi was crunchily fresh, the miso soup delicious and the grilled eel on rice was the tastiest fish, no, the tastiest food I've ever eaten. A chef in an extremely exclusive restaurant in Copenhagen once told me that eel was so rare, eating it was akin to eating Orangutan. Fortunatey this eel was from sustainable farmed Irish stock otherwise I would continue to be guilty of extermination!!
Great restaurant, great atmoshphere, great food that must be authentic as the only other customers were Japanese! And it's only a short walk from the Gasworks.

Reviewed 29 March 2013

My wife and I love going back to this place. We are frequent visitors and love Sushi, plum wine and miso soup combination. There is pleanty to go for if you are not a sushi person. The owner will come around and will have a banter with you; staff are very friendly and caring.

Simply but elegantly decorated room ideal and resembles Japanese style. Book ahead as it can get busy, and the restaurant takes part in most loyalty programmes so do your research as well. There are pleanty of parking spaces nearby, there is an cul-de-sac besides the restaurant which may be is ideal if you dont want to walk too far.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

My girlfriend and I visited the Ginger Tree during November, In the early evening. We hadn't booked, but we were assured by the staff that this wasn't a problem, namely due to the fact that the restaurant was completely empty. Within 30 minutes, the place began to get busy, the tables started to fill rapidly, the hostess of the restaurant began doing the rounds, seemingly making a point of ignoring the two of us on her numerous passes throughout the dining area.

We enjoyed four courses each, the food was simply the best Japanese cuisine I have ever had in this country, nowhere has even come close to the standards set by the Ginger Tree. I find that the level of service that we received on our first and only visit has left me reluctant to visit again, despite the incredible calibre of the food on offer.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

The food was very nice, the service was good and we had an enjoyable time. The surroundings were clean but a bit spartan. A good place to go for a meal with family or colleagues but perhaps not for a romantic meeting?

1  Thank belfastconfetti