“Dinner at The Ginger Tree”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ginger Tree - CLOSED

The Ginger Tree
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Dinner at The Ginger Tree”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

My wife and I went to the Ginger Tree last saturday night. I was impressed by the service - although it was fairly quiet for a Saturday night. Everything was well-prepared and tasted good. My wife had a salmon dish - which she felt was a little over-cooked. My prawns on a skewer were very tasty. W had a medium sushi plate starter between us which was top quality. They do a nice botle of Chilean Rose for £12. Decent atmosphere but only a view of the police station out the window - better than looking from the opposite direction! We would definitely visit The Ginger Tree again.

• Visited May 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exceptionally rude staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

Arrogant and rude staff - won't be back. Food is okay but doesn't make up for the extremely bad attitude.

• Visited April 2013
Wales
“Little Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

I'm not a great fan of restaurants in Northern Ireland. There's an awful lot of Oirishness to cope with in their stying and their cooking - more champ with your sweet and sour anyone??
The Ginger tree doesn't try to be anything other than a Japanese restaurant and what a great job they do of it. I don't have a lot of experience eating Japanese food food but my hostess - Elizabeth English Wylie - talked me through the menu and made some great recommendations.The sushi was crunchily fresh, the miso soup delicious and the grilled eel on rice was the tastiest fish, no, the tastiest food I've ever eaten. A chef in an extremely exclusive restaurant in Copenhagen once told me that eel was so rare, eating it was akin to eating Orangutan. Fortunatey this eel was from sustainable farmed Irish stock otherwise I would continue to be guilty of extermination!!
Great restaurant, great atmoshphere, great food that must be authentic as the only other customers were Japanese! And it's only a short walk from the Gasworks.

• Visited April 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“For a good evening with great food & friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

My wife and I love going back to this place. We are frequent visitors and love Sushi, plum wine and miso soup combination. There is pleanty to go for if you are not a sushi person. The owner will come around and will have a banter with you; staff are very friendly and caring.

Simply but elegantly decorated room ideal and resembles Japanese style. Book ahead as it can get busy, and the restaurant takes part in most loyalty programmes so do your research as well. There are pleanty of parking spaces nearby, there is an cul-de-sac besides the restaurant which may be is ideal if you dont want to walk too far.

• Visited March 2013
Lisburn
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Incredible food, poor service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

My girlfriend and I visited the Ginger Tree during November, In the early evening. We hadn't booked, but we were assured by the staff that this wasn't a problem, namely due to the fact that the restaurant was completely empty. Within 30 minutes, the place began to get busy, the tables started to fill rapidly, the hostess of the restaurant began doing the rounds, seemingly making a point of ignoring the two of us on her numerous passes throughout the dining area.

We enjoyed four courses each, the food was simply the best Japanese cuisine I have ever had in this country, nowhere has even come close to the standards set by the Ginger Tree. I find that the level of service that we received on our first and only visit has left me reluctant to visit again, despite the incredible calibre of the food on offer.

• Visited November 2012