“Potential Portion Problem”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 October 2016

I must thank Josie and her male colleague for their attentiveness and consideration. Having read previous reviews, I struggle to understand how seating could be an issue, given I attended on a Wednesday evening (not busy). Upon reaching the top of the stairs, we were seated promptly. I do wonder if it isn't perhaps as obvious as it could be, that the restaurant is in fact, on the top floor?

I can understand the comments regarding portion size but then again, I hadn't eaten all day, apart from a slice of toast. Even so...not so sure that my friends would agree, because we ended up ordering another 'tapas' style menu from the bar, after our main meal.
Now let's put this in perspective:
There is a limited menu, but I prefer that to an establishment that purports to be able to cook in excess of fifty dishes, all "freshly prepared" etc.

Because none of the 'starters' appealed to everyone, we were informed that we could avail of the smaller samples on the menu that were usually served in the bar downstairs. Excellent. Only problem being that there was an odd number of us and the servings came in, two by two lol. Then again, I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to go outside of the menu, as it were.

The rib eye steak is 8oz but looks like 4oz (boo). Josie insured that she fully understood the cooking requirements of all who ordered steak and she got it right; yes the kitchen did too.
Again I have to agree with previous reviewers regarding portion size, because it is on the small size.

I would not hesitate in praising Josie, who made every effort to ensure that we were happy. In fact I would go as far as saying that both she and her colleague went above and beyond what would be expected of them and I remain very grateful.

On the way out, we all noticed the open fire by the bar and if anything, that sums up the welcome, the service and the comfortable way that this establishment is run.

1  Thank 01Veritas

Reviewed 3 October 2016

called in on Sunday evening for a drink, first impressions were great, they had the fire on, candles lit, lights dimmed and there was a lovely warm atmosphere. we were lucky and grabbed a seat beside the fireplace, and ordered a bottle of red wine.when ordering the guy serving us, Pearse, said that for £18 we could have a selection of 3 small plates and a bottle of wine! great value so why not, we ordered chicken wings, sweet potato wedges and brushetta, all delicious. could have stayed here all night if i didnt have work in the morning! great pub with friendly staff

Reviewed 3 October 2016

I've been a regular visitor for over 15 years now. Great to see the addition of live sports including football, GAA, rugby, Golf etc, with decent promo's; £3.30 for a pint when live matches are on which is great on a sat/sun as there are loads of games to view & cocktails £3.50 (which can be sampled by the ladies while the fella's enjoy the matches!!). Food is great you can eat outside,downstairs or upstairs and have a choice between a bar menu of small plates (if you fancy a light bite) or the full restaurant menu (with available meal deals). Downstairs is very cosy and casual whilst the restaurant upstairs is a bit more "fancy/formal", it is very well decorated and has a lovely ambience but i would personally eat anywhere in the place as the staff will look after you in any case. They are all very kind, attentive and have always delivered. There also a few cheeky bar staff in there!! ( but i like that as they are full of banter and the craic in bar is very good with the customers.) Keep up the good work!!

Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

Called in for Sunday dinner with high expectations. Couldn't have been more disappointed. I ordered the honey roast ham with chips. After a long wait, I was greeted with a portion of food that I would class as small for a child's portion. Three small slithers of ham and literally 12 chips served in a cup to make it look like there was more than there actually was! The waiters didn't come near us the whole time to ask if it was ok. Worst meal I have had in a restaurant in a very long time. Don't even waste your money! I'm still hungry!

Reviewed 25 September 2016

We dined here today for a quick lunch. The upstairs restaurant was pretty empty yet we still had to wait 10 minutes in a lobby for a table. Once shown to our table we were given a fairly inexpensive Sunday menu with 2 or 3 courses available for £15-17.

We ordered a Piri Piri chicken and rice starter and the artisan breads with tapenade. Both were less than satisfactory. The breads did not taste fresh and were toasted as if to hid their age. The chicken starter really was quite poor. Dished on a small side plate, it had two skewers of bland tasting chicken on a bed of undercooked, what lasted like plastic microwave rice (Uncle Bens Mexican rice). It had a reasonably spicy salsa cooled with a horrible mayonnaise. A properly unpleasant dish.

For mains we both ordered the burgers which unfortunately committed crimes against decent good food. Both burgers were woefully overcooked, rubbery and lacking in flavour. The menu stated these burgers would contain pesto, salami and mozzarella which does sound quite delicious and tempting but this was far from the truth. We received a pretty standard salad burger in place of the described menu item. Inside our buns was lettuce, tomato, a cheddar cheese melt and a lot of caramelised red onion which was quite gruesome to be honest as it was melted along with the cheese making the burger quite sickly and sweet. Completely unlike or nothing as per the menu description.

The accompanying chips were quite good.

Service overall was quite slow which was surprising considering the empty dining room with a casual, less than motivated showing by most staff we encountered.

Considering the location of the Kings Head, right by some of the cities best restaurants I expected much better. Save your time and money and dine five minutes further along the road for better food and service.