“Bargain Overnight Stay - Friendly and Welcoming”

Windermere Guest House
Windermere Guest House
Ranked #12 of 50 Belfast B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I booked a room on Booking.com, and even though the pictures there and on the website make it look more inviting than it is, for £34 you really can't complain.
The shared bathrooms and toilets were spotlessly clean (though it wouldn't hurt for previous showerers to rinse over the floor when finished) - free wi-fi was difficult to obtain on the top floor and the walls between the rooms are exceptionally thin.....I can stay home and be kept awake by someone snoring, I am not keen on paying for the privelege! Hopefully whomever was in room 9 understands why I kept banging on the wall :)
Breakfast was nice though the kitchen missed out my beans and brought toast when I said no thanks, not a major problem but I was the only one down early for breakfast so it shouldn't really have been confusing.
The bed was comfortable in my small room, but I didn't need much more space, tea and coffee was provided as was a small flat screen TV.
Please be aware that they only take CASH! - It can be a bit embarrassing when it comes time to pay.
I would advise taking either the bus (£1.90) or a taxi (£3.80) from town as the walk with luggage is a little tedious. The area is quiet and close to some lovely shopping on the Lisburn Road. All in all, good value and I would stay again but will ask for an en-suite room next time.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms make it hard to get a wi fi signal, rooms nine and ten have a thin adjoining wall so...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ladyaus
There are newer reviews for Windermere Guest House

Reviewed 17 May 2013

The owner met us at the door upon our arrival and was very helpful in pointing out local restaurants and points of interest, including the Botanical Gardens and Queen's University. The room was bright and clean, although the shower was the smallest that this reviewer has ever experienced! Having said that, there is a large bathroom down the hall for those that aren't up for the challenge! The Irish breakfast that was served was filling-just what you need for a long day of sightseeing and shopping! All in all an excellent choice for a brief stay in Belfast!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Great location, very walkable to restaurants, pubs. Only complaint is the size of the shower.. We had a room with twin beds and the shower was small. I can't recall the room number, and it might just be our bad luck to get get the room with the small shower.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I chose to stay at the Windermere guest house because I was looking for something very cheap but comfortable for the night as I was staying over in Belfast ahead of a job interview. I booked a single room at £34 through laterooms.com. The pictures of the hotel on the website portrayed a smart looking guest hotel. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed when I arrived; the hotel is very basic, quite tiredness and in need of a real lift. That being said, I can't complain a great deal given the low price I paid. The old adage 'you get what you pay for' springs to mind. Yet in retrospect, I probably would have paid an extra £10 and stayed somewhere cleaner, more comfortable and presentable in a more convenient city centre location. The Windermere is a good 20 minute walk or so from the city centre, and feels like more with a heavy suitcase. On the positive side, the hotel manager was very helpful and friendly as were all the staff. Breakfast was very basic but did include a cooked Irish option. In summary, very cheap and not especially cheerful in a so-so convenient location close to the university, but probably fine is you on a budget and passing through.

Room Tip: I had the single room on the top floor (?). It had no ensuite but was right next to the bathroom - c...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2013

after turning up at the door with no booking i was welcomed in and offered a room for the night. the team here were exceptionally friendly. got me a room with no fuss and gave me and some friends that were also staying, great advice on where to eat and go for a drink. the following morning i was not rushed out, the breakfast was great and again very friendly staff. would recommend this to anyone travelling into the city!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pat T
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Windermere guest house is pleasant, Renata, the lady who runs the hotel is friendly, efficient - the location is convenient, close to the centre - local shops are available - all in all it's been a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2013

It is located conveniently for QUB and the city, which is about 15 mins walk away. Rooms are big, and so can be cold in winter eventhough there is central heating; esp for someone like me coming from the tropics. There are en-suite rooms and rooms with shared bathroom/toilets. Any is fine as the shared facilities are emaculately clean and not freezing in winter, even in the middle of the night. The rooms are clean and comfortable too; with tea/coffee/kettle and a tv. Wifi is free.

Breakfast is very good; I like the bacon which I think is one of those premium cuts - not the oily streaky kind. Nearby, there are numerous eating outlets and convenience stores. Service is friendly and extremely helpful.

My only complain was that the central heating was not on during the day time. We happened to return at about 4 pm on a sunday in Dec and it was freezing. I informed the staff and she told me it was timed to come on at 6 pm; but will retime it earlier; which she did.

Overall, a very comfortable and convenient B & B to stay in and I will definitely return again. BTW don't book the room facing the front in winter because it has two huge windows and thus can be colder than the room facing the rear.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family