“Three times a success”

Ranked #6 of 48 Belfast B&B and Inns
Limerick, Ireland
“Three times a success”
Reviewed 22 November 2007

I have stayed here 3 times in the past 12 months; once alone and twice with family. Each time we have been warmly welcomed by Donna and her staff. The location is great, on the main bus route so transport into town is really easy.
The rooms are good; the family room was a bit of a squeeze for us this time with two kids, but still manageable. We were greeted by coffee and hot chocolate on arrival.
I noticed one of the other reviewers complaining about the breakfast; we had no quibbles at all. The fruit salad is fabulous, and the Irish fry is great. My husband had the French toast opiton and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Roseleigh house for visitors to Belfast.

• Liked — Breakfast ans friendliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank LimList

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cleveland
Reviewed 20 June 2007

We stayed 2 nights in June 2007. Rooms were spotless, breakfast was ample, the management was first rate, helpful, and a joy. I heartily recommend this B & B. Its location is also an asset given the easy access to the bus system.

Mark Rosentraub, Cleveland, Ohio MSRosentraub@Adelphia.Net

• Liked — Clean; excellent breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing really; all good
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MSRosentraub
Springfield, VA
Reviewed 5 January 2007

Roseleigh House was a lovely home in a great neighborhood outside of Belfast (similar to Bethesda outside of DC). It's a little far from the center of Belfast, but driving in wasn't too much of a problem and parking was easier than most modern cities. The house was typical of others in the neighborhood and the rooms were large and of average cleanliness and comfort. I was expecting a room a little more bright and cheery and more equal to the common areas of the house, but it was adequate.

The big disappointment came in the morning at breakfast. We were highly anticipating the breakfast, as the menu was much more varied than standard Irish fare. No such luck. The butter coating my wife's omelette was sizzling like a fajita when it was served, which took away all appetite (and they called it "light & tasty" on their website!). My french toast was dry and of little taste (I guess that's what they mean by "Crisp French toast" on their website). They should have stuck with the traditional Irish breakfast because they clearly didn't know what they were doing. The most annoying thing was that we had picked Roseleigh House in large part due to their advertised breakfast menu.

So long as the same person keeps cooking breakfast, I'd look elsewhere. The house is lovely, but the rooms are merely adequate and the breakfast hugely disappointing. There must be better options in Belfast.

Note on Belfast: We loved this town, and it's really rebounding in recent years with foreign investment. Definitely shift time from Dublin to Belfast when planning your trip. It's less touristy and more of a real city than Dublin. Recommend Zio for dinner (near the University). You might not think Belfast is known for Italian, but my wife's family are Jersey Italians and she's very picky. This place was a hit and more reasonable than other restaurants in the area.

• Liked — Lovely house and neighborhood
  • Disliked — Rooms were average and breakfast was hugely disappointing
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't pick this place for the breakfast menu
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank We_like_vacations
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 19 April 2006

The Bed and Breakfast was absolutely wonderful. Donna was the perfect hostess. We were pleasantly surprised by the beauty and detail of the decorating. The breakfasts were the best we had in Ireland. Donna even gave me a package of potato bread to take home. The location was great; residential and homey. There is a place to park your car and it is easy to find your way around the neighborhood. It is a one-of-a-kind, must stay B&B. Thank you Donna.

Stayed March 2006
5 Thank SenorKroll
Canada
Reviewed 28 September 2005

With a warm welcome from Donna, you are shown a clean room with cozy beds and welcomed with a gorgeous breakfast in the morning. Donna provides a list of breakfast treats available and you choose the time of morning. She goes above and beyond the duties of hostess. My Mother and I were unable to get a taxi to the train station and Donna drove us to the station to make sure we made our connection. Lovely attention to detail in the sitting and diningroom and conveniently located to downtown and a local shopping mall. Thank you, Donna!

• Stayed September 2005
10 Thank proudflesh
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 June 2003

My daughter and I recently spent one short night at Roseleigh House in Belfast. It was short but sweet. This bed and breakfast was one of the nicest we stayed in in the three weeks we were in the UK. The decor was really just lovely. Breakfasat was one of the better we had in our three weeks and there was a nice area for us to park our rental car. It was located just a short distance from the city center... not hard to find. We would have liked to have stayed longer. Glenda and Ginger Pogue

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 April 2003

I just returned from a 5-day stay at Roseleigh House in Belfast. I've stayed at many B & B's in Europe. Roseleigh House is definitely among the best of them. The place is located in a very nice, quiet residential section of Belfast, not far from the City Center (that's downtown for us Americans). It is conveniently located just around the corner from the bus stop, and all the cabbies know where it is. The minute you see the place, you know you're in for a treat. The place is immaculate, and tastefully decorated, from the nice garden in the yard, to the homey decor in the foyer and rooms. The bedrooms are kept sparkling clean by maids who straighten everything up for you every morning, right after you leave for your day's activities. Helen Hunter, the proprieter, is a friendly, helpful lady who goes out of her way to make your stay plaeasant. Because I am involved in an organisation that works to promote peace in Northern Ireland, I have many friends in Belfast. Throughout the week, I was constantly recieving calls and visits from these folks. Helen fielded all my calls, never missing one. Every day I would return to find several messages waiting for me. I know this should be standard for every B & B, but I had an unusually large number of calls. Many times, I would be on the phone in the hall, and Helen would appear with a portable phone with yet another caller on the line. She always had a smile on her face, and seemed glad to provide such personalized service. She knows Belfast very well, and can tell you how to get wherever you want to go. She'll be glad make reservations for you, or recommend a good restaurant. In fact, all the employees there are very friendly and top-notch. The breakfast room is bright and cozy, and the selection of breakfast foods is the largest I've ever seen at a B & B. You get your choice of several breakfasts,from the standard (and huge) Ulster Fry, to French Toast, or Scrambled Eggs flecked with Salmon (yummy!). You can also get yogurt, fresh fruit, or granfast choices is placed on your bed. You simply check off what you want, and leave the card on the desk. The next morning, your breakfast is served to you promptly. The place is so homey. Whenever I returned at night, I really felt I was retuning home, rather than to a hotel room. Yo can spend more, I'm sure, but I don't think you can get a better B & B experience than Roseleigh House. Very good value for the money.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member