“A good hotel in Belfast”

Pearl Court Guesthouse
Ranked #16 of 48 Belfast B&B and Inns
Gallarate, Italy
“A good hotel in Belfast”
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Pearl Court Guesthouse, a very nice hotel in a good location, with big and bright rooms and a large and confortable bed. Abundant continental breakfast. Friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Upper floors are quieter and have a better view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lauretta175

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel as we were going to the American consulate for a visa interview the next morning. We were told a safe code to enter the building and an envelope would be waiting for us with our room key. As we were leaving the hotel early in the morning for an 8.30 interview we requested an early breakfast at 7amd were told toast etc would be left out. The room was nice and decorated I keeps g with the style of the townhouse with a large tv. There was only one shower towel left for us and the mattress was a but worn in but had a good enough sleep. In the morning we only found 6 slices of bread with jam and butter which had been left out overnight and half a kettle of water to help ourselves with. We returned at 11 as advised to pick up our bags from our room and pay the bill only to find the person in charge at the time had tried to phone us twice and very exasperated that we were not there as they needed in to clean our room. They had tried to charge our card and were declined she told us and couldn't get the cash off us quick enough.

I was a bit disappointed at this service as they knew our situation and that we would be back at 11. We weren't offered any discount for not getting the full hot breakfast and she to.d us to just leave the keys on the desk as she was leaving. For a b and b you expect people to be there to accommodate for you? Nice place but staff need to be a bit more helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed here overnight, prior to going to the Stone Roses concert just down the road.
On the plus side, the Guesthouse was well positioned to the centre of Belfast &, as a Victorian Terraced property, had character. Our room was pleasant enough, if a bit jaded & was certainly big enough. The staff were also cordial & chatty.
However..... for starters, the bed wasn't as comfortable as it should have been & sloped, (I nearly fell out at one point! I'm over 6 foot, but that shouldn't have happened!) & the en-suite shower was useless. If you wanted any heat, the pressure became almost non-existant. The breakfast, though ample wasn't a full one, so if you want rashers, sausages & pudding, forget it.
Worst of all though was the fact that we were awoken 3 times in the night, 2.30. 4.00 & 6.30 a.m.
This obviously wasn't the fault of the staff, who can't legislate for ignorant & thoughtless guests. However, because the owners/staff weren't about, nothing could be done to address this. I did talk to someone in the morning, who I think was one of the owners & they were most understanding, but I was a bit too cranky at that stage.
Look this place is OK, but it's not great. I'll be looking elsewhere when I next go to Belfast.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I stayed for one night on 21.8.12 as I had to do an exam in queens university and the location was great, literally just round the corner. I had received a phone call that morning to say they had overbooked but they did everything they did to accomodate me which I didn't mind. I was downgraded from a double ensuite to a double non ensuite. The host was lovely, warm and welcoming as was the house. My room was lovely and clean and just what I needed to for one night. The only issue I had was that my room did not have a lock on the inside of the door and I had to prop a chair under the door handle. The bathroom was lovely and clean also and right next door to my room. The breakfast was also continental style and the staff were lovely. Oh my bed was lovely and comfy and I had a great sleep which was good as I had a 2 hour exam that morning

Room Tip: My room was clean and lovely but no lock on the inside of the door (room 5)
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed here for appointment at american embassey and its a good location for this - 30min walk and bus stop outside into belfast. Lots of pubs and nice places to eat nearby (All Seasons chinese was very good and full of chinese people). We got room 11 (twin room) and it was okay but needs a good clean and updating. The bathroom was poor but did the job. Bedding was clean. No hairdryer in room - there is one on casual loan at front desk that somebody borrowed for their whole stay so I had to let my hair dry naturallly - not a good look. Breafkast usual continental with option of cooked eggs and there was certainly plenty of it. Staff are absent but you are told that when you book. Owner was around in the morning and she was lovely and very helpful. Cost is £65 which for the area was okay but actually I've stayed in Premier Inns for £29 that have been much better. Still, it suited our purpose for one night, - I wouldn't wish to use it as a holiday or short break stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 11 - twin room if possible
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I love staying in B&Bs. Sadly, the Pearl Court Guesthouse was a disappointment. The room was nothing like the rooms pictured on the website, lacking the clean, neutral walls and quite confined. I believe we may have had bad luck and been booked into the worst room as the other rooms seemed to reflect the website. I could have accepted my ugly room if the walls weren't dirty but the grime was plentiful in all the the worst places. It looked like the floor around the toilet was rotting and there were marks in the bathroom which told stories I would rather not be aware of. The shower was in a poor state and left much to be desired.

The staff was only around in the mornings during breakfast and you had to chase someone down in order to pay your bill.

This was not a good experience for the cost - it should be much cheaper due to low quality of the room and lack of cleanliness and staff.

Room Tip: Ask what floor your room on is prior to completion of your booking if you have mobility issues. Ligh...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Belfast hotels

St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I decided to go to Belfast while my husband was away on business (just happened to be during the 12th holiday, 12-15 July). Put out a blast on FB to see if any of my friends wanted to go as well. I had already booked in at Vagabonds Hostel for three nights. My friend who wanted to go with me wasn't sure about staying at a hostel. So she booked at Pearl Court Guesthouse. It was only a 9 min walk from the hostel, but I decided to change my plans to stay with her in a twin bed room with en-suite there for three nights at £198. The webpage rooms looked great. And I don't usually stay at B&Bs or guesthouses, so I thought why not....
The walk from the Bus Centre was not bad, about 1 mile. Really easy to find. We knew that check-in wasn't until later on, but were told we could drop our luggage off. We were surprised to find our key all ready for us in the lockbox outside. We were in room 11. There is no lift, and it was a long 50+ steps to our room. As we walked it got hotter and hotter as we continued to walk the many flight of stairs, wondering when we were going to find the room. It was the very top floor. With heavy luggage it was not enjoyable at all.
Opened up the door and the room is small and the first thing we thought was, "it's not cleaned from previous tenants or it is still in use by them. Also thought is this the same hotel as shown on the webpage?" The beds were still unmade and the trash was not taken out yet from the previous people. The mugs still had tea in it and empty Spar bags thrown around the room. We figured they left the key in the lockbox for us because they were not coming back to the guesthouse before our stated arrival time. But to have us walk into an unclean room was just disgusting. They should have had the cleaners clean it first. They knew when we were planning on coming to drop off our luggage, because my friend had told them when booking. My friend walked downstairs and found a cleaner working. She told them that our room was not clean yet. And the lady was a little short with her, saying it wasn't check-in time yet. Which my friend responded that we knew it wasn't check-in yet, but that we were given a key and we were dropping our luggage off and just wanted her to know that was why there was luggage in the room and that we were the new guests.
We left to go to the Titanic Museum after only being in the room for 5 minutes...When we returned later, the room was "clean". We were tired because we walked to the Titanic Quarter and back (not that bad of a walk at almost 2.5 miles each way), and had been up since 4am. After we got back to the room we looked a little more closely to the room. I told my girlfriend that I had stayed at hostels in private rooms that looks more appealing than this room. There was a wardrobe to put things in, 2 night stands and a desk. There were two TVs in the room. 1 flat screened plugged in, and one that was on a platform in the top corner of the room (not plugged or seemed to be in working order, very old style) hanging over one of the twin beds. Only three plugs in the whole room. 1 behind the desk that had both the kettle and the tv plugged into it. And 2 up on the wall under the tv on the wall platform. It was too high to really be of use, because when you plugged your phone into it, the phone dangled over the bed because there was no where to place it on. My friend rigged pillows in a vertical row while she charged her phone. I had to unplug the kettle or tv to plug my phone in by the desk. The design was not good.
We got our laptops out to do some work. And the WiFi was not working for either of us. There was a router on one of the landings, so my friend went and reset it. It still wasn't working. So no internet for the first night. The bathroom was DISGUSTING! Mold and dirty. The toilet paper holder was barely hanging on the wall. The light above the sink didn't work, and we noticed it didn't even have a bulb in it. We decided to go and get some dinner and come back later since we couldn't get any work done and maybe the WiFi would work when we returned. We couldn't find any workers. That night the WiFi still was done.
In the morning we went to breakfast at around 8:20am. There were two other tables occupied in the dining area. The dining area was decorated nice and seemed updated recently. Breakfast was average, they did make you eggs how you would like. But it was a buffet off some fruits, cereals and bread. Not very substantial. I am glad that they offered the eggs. (the second morning we got down late around 9:20 and there wasn't really anything left. They did cook us eggs and when asked they refilled the orange juice. On the 3rd morning we left before breakfast was available).
When we were leaving for the day we couldn't find any workers to ask about the WiFi or tell about the light above the sink (we forgot to ask at breakfast). We didn't get back until around 8pm and caught a worker as they were leaving. We asked about the WiFi, and she said that when they get a fax it shuts off the WiFi until they can reset it IN THE OFFICE. So if no one is there, then the guests are out of luck until another worker comes to the guesthouse. Then don't advertise as having WiFi if it is intermittent and unreliable. We also let them know that the light above the sink didn't have a bulb in it. She said she would put in the work order for the room and that it would probably not get fixed tonight. We said that was ok and walked the many stairs back up to our room. Shortly later we heard a knock on the door. The lady was there with a bulb. She put the bulb in the light, but it still didn't work and then left (she was friendly and wanted to help, so that was nice). Again about 5 minutes later another knock on the door... it was the lady again (breathing heavy from the stairs), she said that the handyman told her to try another trick. She tried it and it still didn't work. We told her that it could be fixed after our stay, that it wasn't a big deal as we didn't need the shaver or anything.
The WiFi did work for the rest of our stay, so that was good. We also stuck our heads in other rooms as we walked down the stairs in the morning. The other rooms looked 100x better than our room. You wouldn't even think they belonged in the same hotel. Maybe they haven't gotten to updating our room. We are ok with the dated room, however the bathroom was disgusting. Mold and dirty all over. Looks like it haden't been cleaned in years. That was unsat. We would never stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone else. That being said it is located only 2 minutes from the Botanic Garden and Ulster Museum, so that lets you know the location. It's not a bad location at all, but as we walked everywhere for 3 days it made for a tiring day. Especially the climb up to the room. Oh I almost forgot, the bed was comfortable so that was good.

Room Tip: Do NOT get the twin room #11. Also try to stay away from 9 or 10 as they are on the very top floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends