“5 Star Treatment from Alice and Stephen”
Review of Avenue Guest House

and 1 more site!
Avenue Guest House
Ranked #4 of 48 Belfast B&B and Inns
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“5 Star Treatment from Alice and Stephen”
Reviewed 6 December 2008

I stayed overnight at the Avenue Guest House while attending a function in Belfast. I was very warmly greeted by the owners Alice and Stephen and after chatting for several minutes Alice booked me a taxi to get to the hotel. I found the rooms to be extremely clean and well equipped with the latest technology in plasmaTV and Internet facilities. There was also loads of local literature and information brochures in the rooms. Full tea/coffee facilities were also provided.
After a good night's sleep I received a hearty breakfast which was cooked by Stephen and served by his wife Alice. They were extremely nice people and advised on some places to visit the next day.
I would strongly recommend this Guest House to anyone as I received 5***** treatment .Next time I return I will bring my wife for a romantic break.

• Liked — Service, location, facilities.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 December 2008

We stayed at Avenue Guest House for three nights in late November during a 10-day visit to Northern Ireland. I had to be in Belfast to present a paper at a conference at Queens University and this was one of a number of properties on a list which the conference organizers sent me. I chose it because of the good reviews on TripAdvisor and booked the room four months ahead by e-mail directly with the owners, who responded to my inquiries very promptly and helpfully. We paid 60 British pounds (cash only) a night, which was the same rate as at the other two B&B's we stayed in on our trip. This was a terrific place to stay on its own merits, and also gave us an interesting contrast to the other B&B's.

The house is well-located for our purposes on a quiet and pretty residential street a few minutes walk from Queens, with restaurants, pubs, and shops nearby on the two main streets at either end of Eglantine Road. The house is beautiful inside and out, well-furnished, elegantly decorated. We had room 4, up two flights of stairs, which had a comfortable if small double bed (the room also contained a single bed), a modern bathroom with good towels, including washcloths (a rare treat), and lots of shelves, a desk and two chairs, a wardrobe and dresser, tourist brochures and magazines, a large flat screen TV, a nice tea/coffee making set-up with chocolates each evening, and a view of the hosts' charming garden cottage out the window. There is no outlet in the bathroom (which I suspect is a code requirement in Ireland), but there is an outlet beside the desk, which has a mirror above it, so informed hairdrying is possible. The room was, like the other B&B's, quite chilly at night (and during the day, as my husband found out), as the heat is set to turn off and on at times when guests are presumed not really to need it (and radiators don't really give off much warmth anyway); but the new down comforters on the bed kept us warm.

Our hosts, Alice and Stephen, were very welcoming and friendly. Stephen was finishing up some renovations on other rooms but took the time to give us lots of information about the area, local restaurants, and leprechauns. Alice, with whom I had corresponded by e-mail, was a delightful hostess who wished me luck before I went off to present my paper and inquired about its success when I returned (no chain hotel desk clerk ever wished me luck!). We had several enjoyable, if brief, chats with her.

Breakfast was served in the beautiful dining room; there were a number of separate small tables which were close enough to allow conversation with other guests if one desired but still allowed privacy. The breakfast was the usual (but very well cooked and delicious) Irish breakfast, with scrambled eggs, rashers of bacon, cherry tomatoes and a nice helping of sauteed mushrooms. Juice and fresh fruit (bananas and clementines) were available on a table for self-service, one could also order cold cereal, and Alice brought us plenty of hot toast.

There is good free wifi which I greatly appreciated, having been out of e-mail touch for five days. The website has great directions, for which we were very grateful. The only parking is on the street; we were lucky to get a place right across the street and just left the car there for the duration and walked everywhere.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Avenue Guest House and would recommend it to anyone visiting Belfast, especially those with business at Queens.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We went for a short trip to Belfast and spend only a night here.

The owners were very friendly and give us a bunch of great advices on where to go and eat. On the next day we need to rush to get a guided tour and they offer themselves to make us the breakfast a little earlier without us asking for it.

The rooms where big, clean with nice decoration, well iluminated. On the rooms we also have a real big TV Screen, DVD player and other comodities as tea, cookies, some magazines... I really feel like in a good Hotel.

The only not so good thing was that they were on small reforms on the house (painting, and so on) but I'm sure by the time anyone goes there it will be all fixed.

Good food, good place and better people. If I go again to Belfast I will go again for sure.

• Stayed October 2008
Ontario
Reviewed 12 September 2008

My husband and I stayed here at the end of August this year. Alice is an excellent hostess and made us feel extremely welcome. She was very helpful in her suggestions of sights and restaurants.
The breakfast is excellent and the room had just been renovated to a very high standard. The location of this bed and breakfast is very convenient to the city centre and definitely within walking distance. However if you take the hop on hop off bus tour it goes right past this house. We would definitely recommend it.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Redwings2008
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Super Modern, free internet PC and WiFi, DVD library and LCD TVs. Breakfasts top notch and staff very helpful and friendly.

10 mins to downtown by bus, which picks up just down the street.

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank XTPXTP
london
Reviewed 27 August 2008

I've been meaning to write this review for a long time and have finally gotten round to it. I've stayed at Avenue House a few times; most recently last November 2007. The first time was almost 10 years ago and the standards there have always been in my experience consistently top class. I've only ever stayed during business trips and it's always achieved what the most luxurious hotels can never do - a home from home feeling.

Beautiful cosy room for most recent visit, with every convenience, including plasma TV. A small detail but an indication of how ths guesthouse goes the extra mile and has always been out to build on its excellence.

Great Befast location on the university side of the city, yet an inexpensive taxi ride or healthy walk to the centre of things. Ulster breakfast to set anyone up for the day.

Alice is a great hostess and a wonderful conversationalist, while hubby is always at hand too for a chat - when he's not cooking in the kitchen or doing a bit of interior decorating.

It's almost a year now since my last visit and I feel another business trip coming on. With any luck.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, facilities, welcome, food.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank LondonKairos
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Having lived in Belfast and having stayed at several hotels and guesthouses when visiting the city, I can say that Avenue House is a true gem. Booking via email was easy; Alice was clear about price and payment (no credit cards), as well as availability. I was greeted warmly by Alice and Stephen when I arrived--he even carted my very heavy suitcase up to the top floor. Alice acquainted me with the room and amenities--which were worthy of a four-star hotel. The single room was more spacious than many city hotel rooms, with a window overlooking the garden. The furnishings looked quite new, and were both comfortable and functional. Storage and lighting in the bedroom and the ensuite bathroom were excellent, and the shower was powerful with plenty of hot water. The room was also equipped with a number of tourist guides, and an iron and board were available for guest use. Breakfast was excellent, well presented and served with a smile. I wish I'd known about Avenue House when we lived in Belfast; I would surely have booked visitors there. As is, I will surely return.

• Liked — high-quality furnishings andfriendliness/helpfulness of hosts
  • Disliked — internet a bit slow
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo