“Thumbs Up!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Edmonton, Canada
“Thumbs Up!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Tara Lodge. Checking in was painless and the staff were very friendly. The rooms were very clean, pleasantly decorated and adequate amenities. The washroom was clean and toiletries were sufficient. The location is great as it is in the heart of town and walking distance to most of downtown. The Irish Traditional Breakfast was excellent. It was worth the stay. There is adequate parking.

A Recommended Stay!

If you have the time do try the Black Taxi Tour and visit the Titanic Museum.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Finnish first
Drogheda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Spent one night here in the annex. Room was small and well fitted out. Unfortunately it was up 3 flights of stairs. You would need to be in the full of your health to carry your bag up as they are narrow and steep. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. A little dark too.
Breakfast was very good although there was a mix up with the scrambled eggs arriving before the porridge. Staff are lovely and friendly and go that little bit extra to enhance your enjoyment. I think you need to book well in advance to get in the main building with the lift to the rooms as this is a popular little place to stay. There is no bar or restaurant, although there are plenty just 50 meters away on the Main Street. I would stay here again I think!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
NoraDouds, General Manager at Tara Lodge, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Flyingpan

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the start of this month. I’m so pleased that you were impressed enough to stay with us again!

I’m delighted that you enjoyed the high quality service offered by our team. Sorry about the mix with the eggs! As you say we are close to Botanic Ave on which there is a plethora of restaurants and bars – a really lively area with a great atmosphere.

We offer three room types – Signature, Deluxe and Annex. The Signature & Deluxe are located in our main building and have lift access, the Annex rooms (only six rooms) do not. I’m sorry you had to carry your own bags – we normally offer to help with luggage. I’ll make sure that all our team offer to help with guests bags in future.

Thanks again for taking the time and we will certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Tara Lodge in the near future. If you contact us directly we will be able to ensure you are offered the best room at the best price.

Kind Regards

Nora Douds
Tara Lodge
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

I booked the Tara Lodge after thorough research on Trip Advisor. I wasn't mislead by the reviews. I had a great experience! The front desk employee welcomed us and made us feel at home immediately. She offered to call and arrange a tour with black taxi cab, which we accepted. Our room was clean and bed very comfortable. Breakfast was enjoyable. Tara Lodge is located in a nice neighborhood with restaurants and shops nearby. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChicagoMary62
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed here because of other trip advisor reviews and I was not disappointed!
It was possibly one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at!
The room was so comfortable and came with all the little luxuries, safe, hairdryer, GHD!!, iron and board, nespresso coffee machine and more!
The staff here are so lovely and helpful, I booked through a fake sight and got here to no reservation, they gladly made room for my partner and I without a batting of the eyelid!

The restaurant only serves breakfast, but what a great breakfast. So close to everything it is the perfect location for central Belfast! The staff are always there to help and offered us so much great advice!!
We ordered take away for dinner and the receptionist bought it up to our room with two plates! I can't get over the amazing staff here and if I ever come back to Ireland I will definitely stay here again and again!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KirstyM1987
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Belfast is a great city to visit, and Tara Lodge a good place to make your base in Belfast.

Tara is a small hotel in the city centre that has (if I recall correctly) three floors. We arrived for a two night stay, parked (free parking was a definite selling point for us, as we were on a driving vacation), and checked in. Our room was on the ground floor, which is not ideal, but not a big problem either. The lack of an elevator might be a problem for people with heavy luggage and weak arms, but I'm sure the staff would help if necessary. Obviously, the lack of an elevator would mean limitations for people with mobility limitations.

The desk clerk who checked us in informed us we'd been upgraded from a standard to a deluxe room. The room feels freshly updated and was quite clean, as you'd expect from a property like this. The bed was comfortable too. We were a bit surprised by the "upgraded rooms", as they weren't exceptionally luxurious; we joked that a standard room must come without a mattress.

In any case, we settled in and greatly enjoyed our stay there. The staff were uniformly friendly and hardworking; breakfasts were quite fine, with lots of selection and good quality, and the bathroom was comfortably sized and easy for even a tall lanky type to get clean in. We arrived during Freshers Week at nearby Queen's University, and one night were a little apprehensive that the crowds of over-lubricated students we were seeing on the street would mean a noisy night and bad sleep, but there was no problem at all.

The hotel offers a quite reasonable laundry service; we crammed their laundry bag as full as we could, gave it to them, and it was done the same day for 13 pounds. We could have economized by using a laundrette, but we would rather have had the time to explore the city.

Speaking of exploring the city, the location in the Queen's Quarter means reasonable walks to most parts of the city's centre, including the Guinness experience, shopping areas, and the like. This may not be as true for people who aren't used to walking for 30-60 minutes at a time but our foursome found it quite reasonable. The location also puts you close to many restaurants and attractions, so you should have no trouble finding good food or drink.

While it wouldn't be a honeymoon destination, I could easily see making this a regular stay for business travelers or vacationers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

My first visit to Belfast and to the Tara Lodge which I chose having searched on Trip Advisor first.

The staff couldn't be more friendly or helpful. The room was tastefully decorated with one of those expensive mattresses that you just know will give you a good nights sleep. Early to rise and I was greeted by a good hot power shower. The in room tea/coffee was well known brands so you got a good cup of tea/coffee too. Wifi was fast and free. Breakfast was excellent, a good continental and cooked spread really polished off my stay here.

I couldn't find fault, they really have covered everything to ensure you have a great stay at the Tara Lodge.

I look forward to another stay here soon.

Room Tip: Room 20, 21 & 22 are in an annexe behind the main hotel at ground level along side the car park...