“A hidden gem of a hotel”
Review of Tara Lodge

Tara Lodge
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
UK
“A hidden gem of a hotel”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The Tara Lodge is a smaller hotel (less than 40 rooms), tucked away in a housing area close to Botanic station and just two minutes walk from the restaurants and cafes of Botanic Avenue. It is the #1 rated hotel in Belfast on Trip Advisor and having stayed there for three nights this week I can certainly understand why!

I had asked for a quiet room when booking and on arrival the hotel manager (who was lovely) immediately offered me a room upgrade at no extra cost as the triple glazing 'may reduce any noise' (not that there really was any on this quiet street)! The room itself was spotlessly clean, comfortable and was well equipped including a DVD player in the room. The hotel also has a library of DVDs you can borrow during your stay if desired.

Two other very noticeable things about the hotel are the staff and the breakfast. I saw several different members of staff over the four days (three nights) I was there and ALL of them were cheerful and very willing to do anything in their power to make the stay enjoyable and comfortable. It comes across that they really care. Coming from a service industry background myself, this is important to me.

Then there was the breakfast. This is cooked to order and to a very high standard with an excellent and varied menu. The creamy porridge with a nip of Bushmill's whiskey really sets you up for the day! I would also recommend the pancakes with the honey and lemon sauce! The hotel does not offer evening meals but is just two minutes walk to Botanic Avenue with a plethora of good restaurants. Moghul Indian restaurant is excellent and is less than 100 yards from the hotel.

Whether on business or pleasure, this hotel is a superb base from which to explore this delightful and often misrepresented city. I would recommend this hotel over any of the named hotel chains in the area...just leave at least one room free for me to return soon!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LoneWolf153

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Finnish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights recently. Room was lovely. Small but well equipped and very warm. Beds very comfortable and bathroom and shower excellent and clean. Great location for walking and public transport and plenty of great restaurants and cafes literally two minutes away. Breakfast was tasty but very brisk clean away giving us the feeling that they wanted us gone asap.We both had the fry up which again was nice but not wonderful. Pricewise it was good value compared to others. We had no trouble at all with noise outside on the street - good double glazing - though guests walking up and down the corridor did disturb us both nights. Reception was extremely helpful with directions, trips, etc. but unfortunately as we checked out they hadnt recorded that we had paid in full on arrival so that was again not a great thing! Good overall but those details I outline keep me from giving it the full thumbs up.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank limericklady
dublin
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on the strength of TripAdvisor and I have to say its lovely b b, parking and wifi are included in price and breakfast was very good, city centre is a 15 min walk, botanic train station is a 5 min walk away and 2 stops from titantic , I recommend the black taxi tour aswell

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brendan c
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I was "along for the ride" on this one and showed up at Tara Lodge on our first night in Belfast with no set expectations. We got parking in the courtyard (score!), excellent service and really enjoyed how close it was to the shops, attractions and night life.

The breakfast is outstanding - everything tasted great, the staff were attentive and I kept asking my wife if it was really included in the room.

The beds were among the most comfortable we had on our trip. We'd definitely stay at Tara Lodge again!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street could be noisier - we were there for Halloween which was probably a bit high...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed here 2 nights last week with my boyfriend after seeing it was no. 1 on Tripadvisor. It was very nice and in a good location if you are visiting Queens. The staff were very helpful and Tara Lodge is a very comfortable place to stay. If you are on a shopping break then it is at least a 15minute walk to the main central shopping area in the city.

We had booked a deluxe room but when we checked in I don't think the room was delux. (rm 12) It was just a standard room, (no GHDs as other reviews said :( ). However, I didn't complain or mention it in reception as the room we were in was still nice and clean and warm and I was happy enough and we didn't get charged in the bill at the end I think... Still we weren't informed on booking that it was unavailable.

I still had a very nice stay, breakfast was delicious, I recommend the porridge with honey and banana or berry compote, very nourishing!

Room Tip: Room 12 has a nice view of a tree lined avenue with a church and steeple at the end, very pretty in...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
NoraDouds, General Manager at Tara Lodge, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Nicola S

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Tara Lodge. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay; from the helpful staff to the nice view from your room. I can see that you have become a fan of our breakfast chef’s famous ‘Power Porridge’! It certainly is a healthy, filling start to the day as many of our guests have commented previously.

Our location just off Botanic is just 3 minutes away from plenty of bars, cafes and restaurants and as you say, only 15 minutes from the main city centre. At this of year the Christmas continental market comes to Belfast City Hall, just 10 minutes walk away – it’s always worth a visit.

Just to confirm you were allocated a Deluxe Double room with all the facilities you would need from tea and coffee facilities, to a DVD player, to an iron and ironing board. The GHDs, Nespresso coffee machine and IPod docking station are offered as extras in our Signature rooms only. I’m sorry you were disappointed but I’m delighted that you still found your Deluxe room comfortable, clean and warm.

Next time you can contact us directly to make sure you get the GHDs!

Kind Regards

Nora Douds
Tara Lodge
Belfast
London
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The Tara Lodge is on a quiet street off Botanic Avenue (which is one of the main studenty streets, full of pubs and restaurants) near Queen's University. The hotel is very close to Botanic railway station (which itself is a journey of just a few minutes from the central rail stations and from Sydenham station for BHD airport). The hotel seems quite plain and corporate, but what is really outstanding is the level of service - everybody I dealt with went out of their way to help me, including putting together an excellent continental breakfast at 5.45am, as I was leaving town on an early flight. The room was immaculate, with some nice touches - bath salts, biscuits, very large bed. My only quibbles were that I seemed to be unable to connect to WiFi in my room, but this wasn't a big deal for me as I was only in town for a few hours, and that I couldn't get a beer late at night in my room (although that's probably a good thing). The hotel arranged an early morning taxi for me and chased it up when it was 1 minute late. I'll definitely return to the hotel next time I'm on business in Belfast.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Maghera, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

After staying at Tara Lodge during my last visit to Belfast and was happy with it I decided to return.
Tara Lodge just goes from strength to strength. From Ciara at reception to the team at breakfast we where made to feel very welcome. Comfy, cosy, clean rooms and breakfast is just divine from their soda bread soldiers to their fry, pancakes, bread basket and coffee.
PERFECT LOCATION and excellent value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family