“Nothing wrong - could be tiny bit more welcoming”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tara Lodge

Tara Lodge
Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Nothing wrong - could be tiny bit more welcoming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2010

Tara Lodge is tucked away on a street off the main drag in a mainly residential area of Belfast, close to Queen's University. This means lots of students, but we visited during uni holiday season,. so lots of to-let signs in adjoining property windows.
First impression of Tara Lodge is modern, clean and efficient. Definitely more of a hotel than a B&B.
Service at reception is very good and lives up to efficient expectation.
Couldn't help feeling it could have been a tiny bit warmer, though, to fit with the traditional Belfast bonhomie.
Room was lovely, luxuriously appointed, apart from tv, which was quite small and mounted in a frame in the wall, some distance from the bed. The remote's batteries must thave been run down, as iit struggled to cope.
We also discovered a DVD player nestled into a bedside cabinet, hooked into the tv.
Free wireless internet over all of hotel worked well with my iPhone,
Bed very comfortable indeed.
Iron and ironing board supplied in room.
Thick curtains ensured good blackout for decent night's sleep.
Good range of quality toiletries in bathroom. Decent power shower and bath
Breakfast was delicious with excellent range of food available, Hot breakfast freshly cooked to order.
Apart from breakfast there is no restaurant, but just round the corner, back on main drag, there arelots to choose from, or you could make a trip into town,
Location is 15-20 minutes gentle stroll to city centre, or few quid in a taxi.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Finnish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2010

I stayed at this great bed and breakfast for three weeks and felt completely at home the entire time. All of the staff members were very friendly. They also went out of their way to help me with anything, from things I needed for my room, to helping me figure out city transportation, to recommending tours, restaurants, and sight-seeing opportunities. As a female traveling by myself, I felt completely safe during my entire stay: the hotel is located in a well-trafficked and well-lit area of the city, and the doors to the lobby are locked at night. There are also numerous restaurants and bars located within very close walking distance, and it is about a 15 min walk to the city center.
My room was very clean and comfortable. There were plenty of pillows and blankets, and I always had hot water. The supply of tea, coffee, and cookies was replenished daily. I didn't hear any noise from the street or from neighboring rooms, and was always able to sleep very well. The breakfasts were excellent, with my favorite being the salmon and scrambled eggs on toast. The breakfast being included is a great value, with a variety of items available and excellent service, and you will definitely never leave there hungry. If you are staying there long-term, the hotel can have your laundry sent out for you, or there is also a laundromat nearby. My only complaint would be that the wireless internet didn't work in my room (although I believe this was a compatibility problem with my computer), but there was free internet available in the lobby. Also, the staff were very helpful with this and even offered to move me to another room where I may have better internet reception.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelstf2010
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

Faultless stay in Tara Lodge. Very comfortable rooms, nice relaxed neighbourhood, very very helpful and friendly staff. Breakfast was extremely tasty. There are cheaper hotels in Belfast, but probably none better for the price.

Upperlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

Spotlessly clean , comfortable rooms , great breakfast and friendly staff. When having a weekend in Belfast we would normally have stayed in the Europa or Hilton which were quite expensive . The Tara Lodge has no bar but there are a number of great bars less than 3 minutes walk away. For shopping The hotel is a £4 taxi ride away from the city centre or a 15 minute walk , but to be honest there are ample pubs , clubs and eating establishments all round the hotel and you don't need to go too far for a good time. Our room was actually in the building beside the hotel which my wife found a bit strange but it was so comfortable and had all the usual hotel facilities provided. Would highly recommend the Tara Lodge for any couples looking for a chilled weekend in Belfast. We'll definitely be going back here.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

Great small hotel in a nice part of the city. Lots of restaurants & pubs in the area and still only a short walk downtown. Great rooms, staff & breakfast.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

Needing to travel quite extensively around the UK I have stayed in many hotels from the cheap and cheerful to the expensive and supposedly luxurious. Firstly I would like to say that the room I stayed in was EXACTLY like the photo in your advertisements which is something I cannot say for other hotels I have stayed in. Although I have not been to Northern Ireland before, this hotel was placed within easy walking distance of the shops and centre to explore on the Thursday evening after I arrived. There were plenty of restaurants and food outlets for lunch or an evening meal.

The breakfast at the hotel was particularly enjoyable. Attentive but not overbearing waiter service and delicious food from a lovely range of options on the menu. I only had about 15 minutes that morning to eat, but the food arrived quickly and was of excellent quality. The breakfast area was comfortable and not too quiet like some hotels!

Now, to the room I stayed in. How lovely to have lots of cushions on the bed, and a soft carpet to walk on, and a bath as well as shower! The room was spacious. The desk particularly useful for all my business papers. To have a selection of TV channels was also a treat.

During my travels, especially to London, the hotels are often overpriced and only average in quality and comfort. Or the cheaper rooms are often quite terrible.

For the price I paid for the room in your hotel, I can honestly say that I have not stayed anywhere else that would match in comfort, style, location and quality.

Thank you to your reception staff who were quite polite to me when I got lost trying to find my room! Also about booking me a taxi at the unearthly time of 5.45 am the following morning. I stayed with you for 2 nights and if I get a chance will certainly be coming back. I shall recommend you to others.

By the way, your hotel was recommended to me by the organisation I was visiting, only 5 minutes from you, called Volunteer Now. I thanked them and said much the same about how much I enjoyed my stay.

Thank you again to you all.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SarahB5121
Wolves
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

I found Tara Lodge to be an excellent choice and would certainly stay there again. The rooms are very modern, trendy and extremely comfy (especially the bed!). All of the staff were welcoming and very helpful but 'Ricky' in particular looked after us beautifully. Nice breakfast choice.Great selection of bars and restaurants within walking distance and you can get to the city centre no bother. All in all I couuld not fault anything and I have travelled greatly!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family